Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2011 Allegro Open Roads 34TGA

We looked at a used (only 2500 miles) 2011 yesterday and I was impressed with the floor plan. It's on a workhorse chassis and we were told it was one of the last made using it.

We currently have a Seneca HD which is a diesel but we were looking for more interior space which the Allegro has.

We realize we will loose power and MPG going to a gasser again but I wonder how much better the coach will perform with a workhorse than a Ford. If anyone has one with a workhorse how many mpg are you getting? We tow a Ford Flex which is over 4000 lbs.

Any known problems with the 34TGA? It looks like a floor plan that has been around for a while so I'm assuming it's been a good floor plan.

The only issue I found is the dining room table (booth) which has a leg that doesn't provide much room to get in and out of. We had an Allegro Bay before and I remember what a nuisance that was. I was hoping we could switch out that leg for a hydraulic one that the dealer said could probably be done. I would have thought by now Tiffin would have improved that on the booth sets.

Any input would be appreciated. We actually weren't looking but happened to be there and saw this coach. We do really like our coach but I would really like a little bigger living area.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The 34 TGA is an outstanding floor plan and the rig will have lots of storage space both inside and in the cargo bays. The CCC of the TGA is good too. I have owned Tiffin products for nearly 20 years and have had good experiences with them.

That being said, I would wonder why someone would sell a 34 TGA with the floor plan and features that the 2011 has so soon? You would be wise to have it checked by a pro before buying.

Also, my current rig is on a Workhorse chassis. I like the chassis, the engines power is very good and the Allison transmission is the best. But you should know that Workhorse Custom Chassis is no longer producing chassis and GM is no longer making the 8.1 engine. It is my humble opinion that, in the years years to come, Workhorse proprietary parts, 8.1 engines and most of all, Workhorse authorized service centers will not be as plentiful as they are now. I may be wrong and I hope that I am, but my "gut" tells me so. IMHO!

On the positive side, you should be able to get a really good deal!

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Bob, my thoughts on that motorhome are that probably someone died but if we were to get to the point that we were serious I would definately have it checked out by someone who has been in the industry for 25 years.

I love Tiffin products and was sad to give up our Allegro Bay but at the time we were going to live in it and travel to shows hauling a lot of supplies so we needed a DP and there were no Tiffin's available at the time with a suitable floor plan.

I do like the rig we have but I would sure love to have more room. One of my concerns on the 34TGA is the CCC. It's hard to actually find the unloaded capacity and then add on all the weights to know if you are going to be overloaded. That was a problem with the 37 ft Allegro Bay we had. It was almost overloaded before we stepped in the door.

I like the fact that this coach has vinyl flooring in the living area and a full queen rather than a short queen. I also like that extra slide. We have bunks in our rig now which really is great for our storage but I would prefer the extra living space and vinyl floor (we have a golden retriever and flat coated retriever who shed like crazy)

I don't want to be sorry about going back into a gas rig and find we don't have enough power or capacity.

I've looked at new ones and the price is reasonable for the coach but I don't want to give up something good for something that won't meet our needs.

We really weren't even looking but we stepped foot in this coach and then looked at all the storage and I was thrilled. So, now I guess we need to really check into this and perhaps a new one. I'm not thrilled with buying used especially under circumstances like this. Unless someone died, a 2011 with only 3500 miles sounds too good to be true. I know the dealer bought it outright so it was probably a quick sale thing where someone was not going to continue RVing which is why we think it was due to a death.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hi Nedra; My neighbor owns a beautiful 2011 34 TGA. As soon as I can get together with him, we'll get the CCC from the documents provided by Tiffin. He should have it as I do with my 32 BA. My CCC is about 2550 which has served us well for nearly 8 years.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you....

We went to look at it thoroughly and had the owner of the service repair place who has done a lot of work for us come and inspect it inside and out. Other than it needing cleaning and a few minor odds and ends it's in really good condition. Tom checked the slides, the jacks, etc and all were working as expected. He said it was a good coach. We took it for a test drive and after having driven on the koni shocks I know hubby is going to want to put them on this ASSUMING we can work a deal.

Al would prefer this over the Ford because he likes the grade brake and it's a wider wheel base so if we can get this he'd prefer it over the Ford Chassis.

We were hoping to get more on our coach but after checking everywhere it's not worth as much as I had hoped. Bummer! Tom showed us the sheet he had for some wholesale prices on rigs since he does buy and sell used RV's. I was shocked at what they are going for. Almost had heart failure but at least I had something to go on when we started negotiating with this dealer.

Still waiting for another dealer to get back to me to give me a quote on a new one and on our trade.

I knew we shouldn't have stopped in to look at the pretty RV's......
Old 11-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The 34TGA is a great floorplan and the Workhorse is a great chassis. The biggest issue is that Workhorse is slowly disappearring from the scene - ever since Chevy stopped making the 8.1 liter Vortec. Tiffin had those chassis on the lot for a while. Check the date code on the batteries and the DOT numbers on the tires. RV tires last for 5-7 years until they age out from dry rot. If your toires and batteries have a few extra years on them that "lot rot" will affect how useable they are. You may need tires fairly early and batteries almost immediately. Then again, if this is figured into the price you might be okay.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
The coach is only a year old and only has 3600 miles on it. It was manufactured in August 2010 and the owners took possession in September 2011. The coach NEVER sat on a lot, it was ordered for someone and they took possession when they got it. Now, considering the low mileage it probably didn't get much use but everything is working and in good condition.

The tires are fine. Even if it had sat on the lot for a year (which it didn't) they should still be fine but we did check.

We had the owner of our RV Service center check the coach from from top to bottom and inside and out and he said everything looked good.

The Dealer did replace the chassis battery but the coach batteries are fine. Dates on the tires are fine as are the batteries.

We took possession of it o few weeks ago and took it for a shake down cruise this past weekend and only a few minor things turned up. The dealer has it now and is taking care of them. We should have it back in a couple of days and we can get ready to head to AZ as planned....in our new coach.

Guess I need to figure out how to change the photo to the new coach
Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
i HAVE A 2008 TIFFIN TGA WORKHORSE CHASSIE AND LOVE IT. BOUGHT IT USED IN THE SPRING 0F 2010. IT HAD 17,000 MILES ON IT AND NOW HAS 30,000. RUNS GREAT NO PROBLEMS. GET BETWEEN 7 & 8 MPG. I WILL CERTAINLY FAVOR TIFFIN ON MY NEXT BUY. SERVICE FROM TIFFIN WAS EXCELLENT. WHEN EVER I CALLED ASKING FOR HELP THEY GOT BACK TO ME PROMPTLY.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree that Tiffin is very responsive. I have emailed service and called and they return calls and emails promptly. We also ordered some extra shelves and even with the holiday they got them here in time for LaMesa to install them so we can get it home and still have plenty of time to pack for AZ.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to nrc1963
Off topic question about your rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedra View Post
I agree that Tiffin is very responsive. I have emailed service and called and they return calls and emails promptly. We also ordered some extra shelves and even with the holiday they got them here in time for LaMesa to install them so we can get it home and still have plenty of time to pack for AZ.
I am also looking to get a new allegro 32 or 34' for full time rving would you recommend the rig you have for a full time ever who is only himself? And may you your family and your friends have a Happy New Year,
nrc1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc1963 View Post
I am also looking to get a new allegro 32 or 34' for full time rving would you recommend the rig you have for a full time ever who is only himself? And may you your family and your friends have a Happy New Year,
Hi Nick, I am not sure I'm reading this right. Do you mean you will be a full timer and it's only going to be yourself in the coach?

If so absolutely this coach is ideal for full timing. It's got a really comfortable floor plan with lots of living space. It also has a lot of compartment storage.
The only objection I have is that Tiffin makes their drawers deep but not wide (front to back) but other wise I have no complaints.

We haven't been in this very long (only a couple of weeks now) but there are 2 of us living in it along with 2 retrievers and there's plenty of room for all of us.

We've been RVing for 12 years and have had longer coaches with less. I like the length because it gives us the opportunity to go places we couldn't in a 38 ft coach. With the 2 living room slides there's still plenty of living area.

I have a business and I store a lot of inventory for shows and shipping to customers and there's still room for us

I wouldn't go smaller but this floor plan is very workable and you get a lot of bang for your buck

Nedra
Old 01-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to nrc1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedra

Hi Nick, I am not sure I'm reading this right. Do you mean you will be a full timer and it's only going to be yourself in the coach?

If so absolutely this coach is ideal for full timing. It's got a really comfortable floor plan with lots of living space. It also has a lot of compartment storage.
The only objection I have is that Tiffin makes their drawers deep but not wide (front to back) but other wise I have no complaints.

We haven't been in this very long (only a couple of weeks now) but there are 2 of us living in it along with 2 retrievers and there's plenty of room for all of us.

We've been RVing for 12 years and have had longer coaches with less. I like the length because it gives us the opportunity to go places we couldn't in a 38 ft coach. With the 2 living room slides there's still plenty of living area.

I have a business and I store a lot of inventory for shows and shipping to customers and there's still room for us

I wouldn't go smaller but this floor plan is very workable and you get a lot of bang for your buck

Nedra
How do you like the ride and handling does your have air bag suspension how is the power and what type chassis do you have ford or work horse? I think early this spring I am going to visit the tiffin factory then Lazy Daze in Tampa and about at least 9 more dealers for both Newmar and Tiffin going to make these guys earn there commission I been taken advantage of to many times with past new vehicles not this time this is a lifelong investment for me and I have been researching it since 1995. But I know there is some honest dealers out their just have to hunt them down. That is why I am going to take my time if a dealer even tries to make me buy or sign something the first day I will do a dance called "the shoe leather express"

Keep in touch and happy new year to all your family and best of luck with your new motorhome
nrc1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc1963 View Post
How do you like the ride and handling does your have air bag suspension how is the power and what type chassis do you have ford or work horse? I think early this spring I am going to visit the tiffin factory then Lazy Daze in Tampa and about at least 9 more dealers for both Newmar and Tiffin going to make these guys earn there commission I been taken advantage of to many times with past new vehicles not this time this is a lifelong investment for me and I have been researching it since 1995. But I know there is some honest dealers out their just have to hunt them down. That is why I am going to take my time if a dealer even tries to make me buy or sign something the first day I will do a dance called "the shoe leather express"

Keep in touch and happy new year to all your family this summer. best of luck with your new motorhome
Hi Nick, the coach rides fine but we will be putting on Koni Shocks because we really noticed a difference in the last coach we had when we had them put on. Gas coaches don't typically have air bags but I know some people have installed them on their own. I honestly don't think it's necessary but that's my humble opinion

You might also try Voght RV in Fort Worth. We've done business with them before. They sell Newmar and Tiffin and they pretty much undersell everyone. We ordered our Newmar many years ago and several dealers said beware they probably aren't including something because none could touch their prices. Turns out everything was there and the price was cheaper than any other Newmar dealer. If we hadn't fallen on this really good gently used coach I probably would have contacted Vogt again since we aren't all that far.

My suggestion is once you narrow down the coach you want then add Voght to your list of dealers. It sounds like you've done a lot of research but of cousrse what was available in 1995 isn't now but both Newmar and Tiffin are still in business.

Keep in mind that Newmar has a warranty and once it's over, it's over. Tiffin stands behind their product even after warranty and you don't necessarily have to go there.

We are currently in AZ. The coach we bought was 1 year old and the warranty was up BUT Tiffin has taken care of the check valve and they are sending a new entry door and covering the cost of installation. That's after warranty and NOT at the factory. Try to get any other manufacturer to do that. We've had MANY RV's and Tiffin is the only manufacturer we cared enough about to buy again and we did.

Nedra
Old 01-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nedra, congratulations on your coach and welcome back to the Tiffin side. Enjoy your coach and many miles of safe travel.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote