Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

2012 -36LA Main Doors Problems

I wanted to see if anyone else was having problems closing and locking the main door. My problem first started when I had to sit on the steps and pull the doors handle to lock the dead bolt. The first times I opened the door after a very cold day (22 degree) I could no longer close the door and lock it. Found that the center of the door had bowed out about ½ inch. I had to tie the door handle to the driver sit with a cargo tie down strap to secure the door. Thank goodness there is a driver side door on this model or I don’t know what I would have done to secure the door. The RV dealer said that the door needs to be replaced. I just hope they can match the paint.
John Wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to phredsee
Have the identical same problem on my 2013 model. Dealer is also replacing the entire door and repainting.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

Having similar problem with our main door, though now to the extent that I have to tie it shut. Often take two to four time shutting the door hard befor it fully locks into place. I need to figure out hoe to adjust it.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This seems to be a common problem. I talked with Don Boyd at Tiffin about this and he advised that the bolt might not be in the correct position for the latch to fully engage. The bolt on the door frame is adjustable. If you loosen the bolt about a quarter turn you can move it around, up/down, front/back, to find the optimal place. I also found out my bolt didn't extend far enough out, the latch was hitting the bolt head. The dealer used a washer as a spacer between the bolt and the frame and now it engages better. I still have to give it a good slam closed but the locks engage without issue. I can tell if I havent closed it hard enough. If I pull it closed from inside and can still move it, just a fraction of an inch, then it isn't closed. I have to put some umph into it so it doesn't move after closing.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I sure hope they get this **** straightened out before mine is built
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #6

Hanko, Have you already ordered your 36LA?
Ewings2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewings2 View Post
Hanko, Have you already ordered your 36LA?

April 1 is the date. ILL probably get it around the middle or end of june
Old 03-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #8

hanko, did you see my concern about the super slide and the missing brace?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
yep, Im taking notes, thanks. was it missing or forgotten
Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #10

At this point I am not sure if they forgot or just didn't put it in. I was hoping to get some answers from other 36LA owners. So far no one has answered that question for me. I have posted the question here and other threads, but no answers.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #11
KJB

Hanko, I keep saying I should be taking notes too since I plan to order a 36LA in the near future. It would be beneficial to check the items that others have had issues with to see whether or not I have the same issue even before the symptoms are displayed. I think I have been making mental notes but I learned long ago that my mental capacity likes to take an occasional vacation and I forget things. I may have to solicit your notes from you and start my own written list as well. In the meantime I certainly appreciate all the feedback from current 36LA owners.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did one of you guys mention a wet bay problem? I thought they got that problem resolved a while back. I keep sending the sales man these post, Im sure he doesnt think its funny. ILL tell you what, before I write the big check on April 1st, these questions are going to be answered. I suppose if i started looking at other Mfg's I would run into ther same problems
Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #13

We are also having problems with the slide topper on the living room slide. The dealer is checking with Tiffin to see if they will eat the cost of installing the center brace. They tried to stick us with the $240 installation fee. I see multiple posts in different forums for the same issue.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
Did one of you guys mention a wet bay problem? I thought they got that problem resolved a while back. I keep sending the sales man these post, Im sure he doesnt think its funny. ILL tell you what, before I write the big check on April 1st, these questions are going to be answered. I suppose if i started looking at other Mfg's I would run into ther same problems
The wet bay problem was on the older diesel higher end units.
There has never been a wet bay problem with the gassers.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote