RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #1

2012 Phaeton

Looking at 43 footer bath and half. Told I can get 400 horse power ISL engine. Looking to get Spartan chassis. Anyone looking at a 2012?

Steve

bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tiffin site 2012 specs list the Phaeton on Spartan or Freightliner Chassis with Cummins ISC 400 HP/1200 Lb. Torque (42 QBH). The 36 and 40 footers are listed at 380 hp w/ 1050 lbs torque. The also lists the VIP steering wheel on the Phaeton. That's always been a Bus and Zephyr only item. Now, if you could get the Aqua Hot in the Phaeton ....

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #3

I would like to see one more thing on the Phaeton......side radiator.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
I would like to see one more thing on the Phaeton......side radiator.
That's another "step up to Allegro Bus" feature that's probably not going to happen on the Phaeton.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
That's another "step up to Allegro Bus" feature that's probably not going to happen on the Phaeton.
Maybe not.

Entegra Coach just released their 2012 Aspire, which lines up with Tiffin's Phaeton. In prior years the Aspire had a Freightliner rear radiator chassis with the ISC 360/380 engine. This year the Aspire will have a Spartan side radiator chassis with the 400 ISL engine.

Generally the 400 ISL gets mated to a side radiator chasis due to it's need for extra cooling. I wonder if the 2012 Phaeton has gone that way as well????
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #6

The 2012 has a rear radiator. Tiffin said they had put a larger unit in for the 400 ISL.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
The 2012 has a rear radiator. Tiffin said they had put a larger unit in for the 400 ISL.

That must be what Winnebago does with there Tour also with 400 ISL and rear radiator. Something I never agreed with.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #8

The positive for a rear radiator is the additional storage on the side?? Seems to work well on the Tour.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

That is one potential positive, assuming that the storage bays are properly laid out. With today's emissions gear those bays are usually very shallow.

Unfortunately, the negatives exceed the positives.

Rear radiators are in a low pressure area and all of the road dust, grime, and oil fumes get run through the radiator which plug the fins up. This doesn't happen nearly as bad on a side radiator and if you ever do actually have to clean it a pressure washer from beneath the coach does the job. With a rear radiator you have to go through the bedroom floor and clean it manually to prevent soiling the bedroom.

Ease of service access is also much better. Ever try to change a belt on a Phaeton by going through the bedroom floor? 3 hours on the Phaeton versus 5 minutes on the Bus.

However, assuming that the radiator is large enough to keep the larger engines cool and that everything is clean and not in need of service, they both will do the job so the radiator location isn't a deal breaker when searching for a motorhome, although it is one of the factors to consider.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
Looking at 43 footer bath and half. Told I can get 400 horse power ISL engine. Looking to get Spartan chassis. Anyone looking at a 2012?

Steve

Check out the Tiffin RV Network if you haven't already. You will find all kinds of information about Tiffin Motor Homes.

TiffinRVNetwork

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Maybe not.

Entegra Coach just released their 2012 Aspire, which lines up with Tiffin's Phaeton. In prior years the Aspire had a Freightliner rear radiator chassis with the ISC 360/380 engine. This year the Aspire will have a Spartan side radiator chassis with the 400 ISL engine.

Generally the 400 ISL gets mated to a side radiator chasis due to it's need for extra cooling. I wonder if the 2012 Phaeton has gone that way as well????
Hi Cruzer, I just saw a picture of a 2012 Entegra Aspire at Dylans Rv and it still had rear radiator, maybe just listed wrong there website, not sure. just a FYI.
Dylans RV Center, NJ's Finest Diesel Motorhome, Trailer and RV Dealer Offering RV Sales, RV Service & Parts & Guaranteed Lowes
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

That was a Freightliner. Entegra had a few of the 400 HP rear radiator Freightliner chassis left over and they used them up under the first few 2012 Aspires until they were all gone. They are now building on the Spartan 450 HP Mountain Master side radiator chassis and all future Aspires will be on it. All Aspires will have a solid front axle versus IFS for the Anthem. The link to the chassis spec sheet can be found here - http://www.rvcruzer.com/entegra/2012_aspire42.pdf for the 42' tag axle Aspire or at - http://www.rvcruzer.com/entegra/2012_aspire40.pdf for the 40' non-tag axle Aspire. I was recently at the plant for a few days and did an article for RV Magazine that will be on the newstands on August 17th that will be very interesting. Suffice it to say I was very impressed by what I saw.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
You certainly are on top of things, look forward to your write up. any new floor plans, bunkhouse ??. I read a article late last year and they were talking about introducing a bunk in the Insignia or Aspire. I read a lot of your insights on the Tiffin forum, you had recently mentioned how you were impressed with the Entegra, but didn't think that was the right place to talk about it, is that what your article will be about? which way would you lean if looking, I have the utmost respect for your thoughts.

Bob
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The biggest drawback to them at this point is their lack of really great floorplans. Tiffin has that nailed real good. But, they are earnestly working on that aspect and much will be happening this year. Were I looking at an Anthem or Allegro Bus at this time it'd be a tough call. Tiffin for the floorplans and Entegra for the extra detail in their build quality. Both backed with excellent service and customer support. Fortunately we're not looking right now so we don't have to make that decision. The Entegra article will not be the typical boilerplate road test and review. It will extensively cover the differences in what makes the Entegra truly unique.