Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #1

2014 36 LA Questions

Hi everyone

We are looking to buy our first motor home. Two kids, under 10.

I have looked at many mh's this past couple of weeks and I think I'm down to the Tiffin 36LA or a Fleetwood Bounder 35k. These have the same floorplan, more or less.

The Tiffin looks like it has higher quality materials, but it's $10-$15k more on the MSRP. I have read that 25-28% off MSRP can be had. On the fleetwood, I've seen up to 30% off.

Anyway, the Tiffin is so close in price, that I think the higher quality is worth the fee extra bucks. So here is my questions (sorry for being so long winded):

1.) while a full bed is nice in the sofa, it would be a pain to deal with every night with 2 small kids. There's no way of walking around it. I didn't see an option for a jack knife sofa. Does anyone know if TIFFIN offers a jack life sofa instead of the hide-a-bed?

Without that, the tiffin is out. There's no way I'm walking all over my kids bed after they go to sleep.

2.) is there an outside radio? I saw the tv, but no speakers or a radio.

3.) what options can you get on the 36 la and which ones do you like or think are not needed?

4.) which dealer would you buy from? I don't mind buying out of state.

Thanks!

Bill
ffcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:29 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a Tiffin 35 QBA which is a bunk model. It is on the same chassis as the 36 LA. I believe that the QBA has 2 furnaces instead of one like the 36 LA. The bunk beds really work nice because you don't have to worry about making them up every day.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
We have a Tiffin 35 QBA which is a bunk model. It is on the same chassis as the 36 LA. I believe that the QBA has 2 furnaces instead of one like the 36 LA. The bunk beds really work nice because you don't have to worry about making them up every day.
That was my favorite layout too. But the wife wants a washer/dryer and that can't be added to the qba.

Thanks

Bill
ffcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #4

ozzie3457

I just bought a Tiffin 36LA.It is a beautiful coach and handles great. It is a great ride. Very comfortable. I bought it in Panama City Fl. at RV Connections from Ronnie Riehm. He is a great salesperson. No pressure what so ever. He was the only salesperson to get back to me. When they got the coach in there was a scratch on the window from the wiper blade or something and he tried to fix it. He couldn't get it fixed, so he had a new windshield put in. He went out of his way to get it right. I had a 2013 Thor ACE 29.2 b/4 this. I bought the extended warranty from Good Sam thru Camping World and whenever there was a problem they told me it wasn't covered under the warranty or the extended warranty. I had enough. Every time we went somewhere we had to get something fixed b/4 we could go. Camping World did not take us on a walk thru or nothing.
ozzie3457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #5

Our first coach was a 36LA and were very happy with it. However of my kids were still at the age of yours I'd really be looking at a bunk model. I think it would make your, and the family's, life so much easier.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #6

+1 for bunks for the kids. We've got a '13 35QBA. It's great for taking our grandchildren. The quad slides give us a great living area. Having the bunks exclude a residential frig, but we adapt. I'd really suggest to at least look at the QBA. Good luck.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #7

If you get the bench dinette let the kids sleep on that. It converts to double berth
and 2 baths will be so much handier with kids. combo washer so handy, larger fridge available in the 36LA.
Ours is fully optioned and don't regret any of the options.
We shopped them all and felt the Tiffin was far superior to anything on the market and we still do having seen all compairable brands
Storage compartments are way bigger and go right across . Rear bath is vastly more useable and spacious, Queen bed is not shortened in the Tiffin as the Fleetwood, 110v outlets on Tiffin kitchen backsplash, cabinets of higher quality and more abundent. No slides on patio side a bonus(no bonking the head everytime I access storage)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #8

We have a 14 36LA and I'll try to answer some of your questions. There is no outside radio on any Tiffin because Bob doesn't believe in disturbing your neighbors while camping, or at least that's what I was told. We definitely love the residential fridge. I don't believe that a jack knife sofa is an option unless you have the L shaped sofa removed and a jack knife from a a Phaeton or bus installed by someone after construction. If you spend lots of time outside, the fact of no slides on the passenger side is nice plus you get full use of the awning. If you spend time inside, you might miss the extra room another slide would add. I think that if you are looking at price primarily, the general consensus is that the best prices on Tiffins can be had at Sherman RV near Tupelo Ms or Davis RV in Memphis. Both are close to the factory cutting out most all shipping cost and both do a lot of internet and phone sales. I shopped both and both were almost identical on price but Sherman offered a little better on my trade in. I dealt with Andy Pearson and was very satisfied. The service mgr Benny is a former Tiiffin employ and is an encyclopedia of knowledge when chasing those new MH gremlins, so that's a plus too.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile Tiffin by far the better choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcars View Post
Hi everyone

We are looking to buy our first motor home. Two kids, under 10.

I have looked at many mh's this past couple of weeks and I think I'm down to the Tiffin 36LA or a Fleetwood Bounder 35k. These have the same floorplan, more or less.

The Tiffin looks like it has higher quality materials, but it's $10-$15k more on the MSRP. I have read that 25-28% off MSRP can be had. On the fleetwood, I've seen up to 30% off.

Anyway, the Tiffin is so close in price, that I think the higher quality is worth the fee extra bucks. So here is my questions (sorry for being so long winded):

1.) while a full bed is nice in the sofa, it would be a pain to deal with every night with 2 small kids. There's no way of walking around it. I didn't see an option for a jack knife sofa. Does anyone know if TIFFIN offers a jack life sofa instead of the hide-a-bed?

Without that, the tiffin is out. There's no way I'm walking all over my kids bed after they go to sleep.

2.) is there an outside radio? I saw the tv, but no speakers or a radio.

3.) what options can you get on the 36 la and which ones do you like or think are not needed?

4.) which dealer would you buy from? I don't mind buying out of state.

Thanks!

Bill
I do hope you decide on going with the Tiffin! I think Dezolen summed it up quite well. Get the dinette and the kids will sleep there.
1. If they need more space and you want to have a jack knife put in discuss that with your salesman or call Tiffin directly and ask if they can help with that during the build of your unit. One thing that I didn't see mentioned as of yet is the OUTSTANDING customer service that you will receive from Tiffin! Second to none!
2.No outside radio or speakers. If the TV is the smaller 24" model and if you desire you can add a sound bar underneath. I changed mine to a 32" so there wasn't any more left in the TV compartment. I did make the compartment directly below the TV into my tool barn with every tool you can think of and I included a Milwaukee shop radio. When set to the Aux. position I play the TV through it. It has great volume and bass, to be used only when I won't be disturbing any neighbors.
3. Like Dezolen I have every option there was to take and I haven't regretted taking any of them.
4.I purchased mine from Scott Motor Coach in Lakewood NJ. My salesperson was Lee Scott. Quite a gentlemen and he will spend the time you require to make the right decision. Btw they also carry the Thor line and several others. I have purchased two RV's from them and I pretty sure my next one will be from them as well.
I've read many threads in this forum and in the Tiffin RV Forum, I have yet to find one that speaks negatively about the 36 LA.
The decision should be easy, I hope I have helped...Good luck!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #10

The pull out bed on the L Sofa is my only negative on the 36LA. Can't understand the thinking on that one. My solution would be to make the sofa longer by getting rid of the chair and designing the pull out bed to be slept on in a front to back arrangement. In this manner the bed would not need to be pulled out against the fireplace to accommodate a 6' person and when deployed there would still be an isle between the bed and fireplace to walk through.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #11

Most RV's are only meant to sleep 2. That's what we tell everyone. Welcome to visit though. Besides tent adds always show how many sardines can sleep in them.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #12

Sleep two, eat four, and drink six!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #13

I have 4 little grandchildren who love to go camping and MeeMee and Pop love taking them. Keeps us young.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:48 AM   #14

I had a 2013 36LA for a grand total of 61 days (but I digress). I will advise you to look at the bunk model if you have little ones. When the guest bed is opened whoever is in the bedroom will be trapped there until the bed is closed. If your not a contortionist you can't get out of the bedroom.
Incognito. is offline   Reply With Quote