Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #1

2014 36LA Front Windshield Power Night Shade Motor Replacement

Has anyone done the motor replacement for the privacy shade?
How difficult? Understand better with 2 people to reinstall?
Any guidance appreciated with this procedure
It is a AutoMotionShade product
coaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 12:15 AM   #2

If you are talking about the Black screen like shade that comes down at the front windows?
I didn't replace the unit, I took it apart, put in some epoxy and a screw (as I remember) and put it all back together.
In other words, I fixed it. Did it all myself.
Hardest part is getting the first and last screws out, and getting the wires connected while taking the weight off the unit.
I lost the end of motion auto stop, as the plastic inside was pretty brittle. I just have to stop it before everything binds up and down.

It can be fixed, if you take your time, and study everything as you take it apart.
I took a few photos when I had the motor apart, not sure they would be of much help.
I failed to take any photos of what I glued back together. Did the fix in Aug of 2016, and it is still working. I only use it to block the sun...
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:16 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just replaced both the Automotion solar shade and the night shade motors. It is actually a fairly easy process, but it definitely takes 2 people. I got the replacement motors from Tiffin ($80 ea.). You will have to remove the drivers side pillar cover to get to the wiring. This just unscrews and pulls away. It is in very tight.
The bracket holding both shades is held on by screws along the length of the shade.
The 2 lead wire coming out of each motor are crimped. Be sure they are labeled (ie solar - up, Solar-down) . I cut the wire crimps out and stripped a 1/2 inch lead from each wire to prepare for the new connection.
Once the bracket is down, you need to loosen the mounting bracket in order to remove each shade from the bracket. The second person can help by holding things in place. Remove one shade at a time, pull the old motor out and replace with the new motor. Be careful the motor is properly seated. There are little indents that need to be lined up to keep the motor from spinning.
I soldered each wire connection, using shrink tubing.
It is a little tricky getting the wires in place so they do not get caught up in the shade motion. Leave extra wire length to be able to re-install the pillar cover.
Reinstall the shade bracket, then the pillar cover.
There are several youtube videos that will give you a general idea. I did not find one that had the exact procedure for our Tiffin.
Good luck.
Brianb131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I replaced the night shade motor in my 2014 36LA. I had to unroll the shade and peel back the shade material on the motor end of the tube to remove a small screw that anchors the motor to the shade tubing. It's about one foot from the tube end and easily found. Also the trick to doing the job if alone is to place a side pillar cover in place but not secured and use it to hold up one end of the shade assembly while you hold up the other end and start installing the mounting screws. Worked good for me. There are you tube videos on the subject.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
oh boy... I should not have attempted this on my own. That whole assembly is monster heavy and awkwardly long for 1 person. I would send you the motor swap instructions from my mfg, but even though the product from AMS is likely the same I suppose Newmar could wire the switches so different that it wouldn't be helpful.

1 - the new motors only have 3 wires, while the coach had the older 5 wire design. I guess I didn't do the splicing correct, bc the switch lowers the shade, but will not raise the shade. I use the programmer as a temporary solution to raise it. Time to let a pro take over.

2 - I should not have unscrewed the shade from passenger side frame as that let the tension out on the spring. AMS says to turn it 14 times and put the screws back in to restore proper tension, but about 2/3 way up it starts making loud angry spring noises now. Also, going to let someone that has done this several times properly restore the tension on this shade.

3 - On the other shade I broke the little metal tab on the passenger side that the shade needs to hold tension on the spring and with the help of the screws keep that end of the shade attached to the frame. AMS sent me a new spring/tab/end cap for the passenger side, but I am going to let a skilled person take over from here.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, power, replace, replacement, windshield