RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #1

2014 Allegro - I don't think I fried the electrical system but...

Hi everyone- I need some troubleshooting assistance here... I recently mistakenly (ugh!!) crossed the jumper cables on the chassis 12v battery and left the vehicle reverse charging for several minutes before I realized "what that smell was". Today I replaced the chassis battery and actually got the engine to fire right up. Only thing is that there is no electrical working anywhere else in in the coach. No radio, b/u camera, sun shade, steps, no 12v. Haven't tried the generator yet but doubt the starter will have power. Also, I do not have access to shore power since my RV is in the storage yard. There's probably a main fuse somewhere but could really use some guidance on how to go about troubleshooting for this kind of issue. Thanks in advance!

2014 Tiffin 35QBH
JeffHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I think all the items in the coach that you said weren't working are operated off of the Chassis batteries. My guess is that you fried the fuses that operate that portion of the 12v to the chassis. There may also be a solenoid that has gone out. I don't know too much about your particular coach so if you could give us some additional symptoms it would be helpful. Did you find the fuse panel and is there 12v to the panel? If so, did you check all the fuses. My guess is that you lost your 12v to the panel.

billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
I think all the items in the coach that you said weren't working are operated off of the Chassis batteries.
Thank you, Bill. I may be over-complicating this but it seems to me that there are two 12v systems: First is the chassis 12v that includes most or all of the dashboard loads. Second is the 12v house loads. I located the 12v fuse panel but have not yet inspected it closely (tomorrow perhaps??). Maybe my question is if this is the only place to look or is there a fusable link under the hood or under the dash that I should be searching for? Does the chassis battery go directly to this fuse panel for unswitched and directly from the ignition for switched loads? Searching the web for wiring diagrams that explain this end of the rig. Or maybe this isn't a fuse problem at all but some other voltage sensitive component??? I'll be looking for burned fuses first, as this is the easiest thing to eliminate.

-Jeff

2014 Tiffin 35QBH
JeffHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:55 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Shoot me a PM or email with your email address, and I'll send you some files that should be helpful in you diagnosing your problems. I can explain how your electrical systems work.

Can you explain a little more specifically what you did. For instance, did you disconnect your chassis batteries from the coach by removing the battery cables, and then when you went to reconnect them you reversed the wires and got a spark?

What was providing the charging voltage/current, when you were 'reverse charging'?

If you did that, did you actually try to start the engine and turn the ignition switch to the on/run, or start position?

Or, were your chassis batteries dead, and they were left correctly cabled in the RV and you went to jump start them with a car battery and cross connected the jumper cables to the battery and got a spark?

Depending upon what you actually did, I would expect different things blown.

Since you got your engine running, doesn't sound like you fried the ECM. I would have suspected that you would have fried your engine alternator, but if you don't have an electrical warning light on your dash you may have dodged that bullet as well.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical