Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #15

I was curious if you have made a decision yet. I am looking at the same issue as I want to bring my Harley Ultra Classic along on our trips. One option is to go with a Kendon stand up trailer which will tow very easily behind my 40" QBH, but then would not have a toad (car). We've had the MH only for a month so I haven't met anyone that tows a big (heavy) bike like ours. I've read many concerns about using a lift, but would like to hear from others that have used a lift and recommend it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachCruiser View Post
I was curious if you have made a decision yet. I am looking at the same issue as I want to bring my Harley Ultra Classic along on our trips. One option is to go with a Kendon stand up trailer which will tow very easily behind my 40" QBH, but then would not have a toad (car). We've had the MH only for a month so I haven't met anyone that tows a big (heavy) bike like ours. I've read many concerns about using a lift, but would like to hear from others that have used a lift and recommend it.
40qsh phaeton with wing on a lift and towing a crv. Not a wimper or an issue and the chassis had a 1000lbs to spare. Towed all over the country and looking forward to going again. I use a cruiser lift which works fine but the hydralift is cadillac of lifts. Of course it costs more $$$$. The cruiser lift uses the original trailer hitch and two more receivers welded to the frame.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachCruiser View Post
BeachCruiser, I called a Lazy Days MH Dealer who recommended a local shop called Dover Welding (but also called Dan's Welding), in Dover, FL and got the particulars on cost, schedule ahead time, etc. for the Hydralift. He was okay with the smaller bikes I have at this point (10 year old Honda Shadow 600 and a 1992 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan), but was hesitant about the Road King. At this point, I punted. It looked like he could install a lift in mid December after life is a little less hectic for us. I'm heading up to lower Tennessee tomorrow for the week on our maiden voyage. I wanted to get the feeling of the coach, particularly on those small mountains just west of Chattanooga on Interstate 24. At that point, I'll make the decision to either go with a Hydralift and a small towable vehicle OR a towable truck and Rampage lift for the bike. Either way, I'm out some bucks.
JerryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGal View Post
BeachCruiser, I called a Lazy Days MH Dealer who recommended a local shop called Dover Welding (but also called Dan's Welding), in Dover, FL and got the particulars on cost, schedule ahead time, etc. for the Hydralift. He was okay with the smaller bikes I have at this point (10 year old Honda Shadow 600 and a 1992 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan), but was hesitant about the Road King. At this point, I punted. It looked like he could install a lift in mid December after life is a little less hectic for us. I'm heading up to lower Tennessee tomorrow for the week on our maiden voyage. I wanted to get the feeling of the coach, particularly on those small mountains just west of Chattanooga on Interstate 24. At that point, I'll make the decision to either go with a Hydralift and a small towable vehicle OR a towable truck and Rampage lift for the bike. Either way, I'm out some bucks.
Jerry,
Hope you have a great trip and good luck on your maiden voyage.

Alan
Old 11-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Everyone,
I have been using a tripple D loader hauler in the back of our Chev. silverado crew cab 4x4 for about 6 yrs. I have hauled harley ultra classics, goldwing gl1800 and now a can am spider. I haul the spider backwards and the front of the spider is on the end of the loader. I use a 1&1/2' extender for the loader in the receiver hitch. No tail gate, it is removed. No issues at all and I have traveled to Canada, the east coast and all around the U.S. with it. I use a air force one brake on the toad so I know I have good brakes. The silverado just locks in neutral and the gear shift in Park and we are on the road. Love it
Old 11-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Everyone,
I have been using a tripple D loader hauler in the back of our Chev. silverado crew cab 4x4 for about 6 yrs. I have hauled harley ultra classics, goldwing gl1800 and now a can am spider. I haul the spider backwards and the front of the spider is on the end of the loader. I use a 1&1/2' extender for the loader in the receiver hitch. No tail gate, it is removed. No issues at all and I have traveled to Canada, the east coast and all around the U.S. with it. I use a air force one brake on the toad so I know I have good brakes. The silverado just locks in neutral and the gear shift in Park and we are on the road. Love it
I used the tripledloader also and agree ; it is the easiest and simplest to use after doing much research on loaders.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The manual on the 2007 F150 says that with an electronic shift transfer case, it is not recommended to tow the truck more than 50 miles without disconnecting the front and rear drive shafts. I spent the last few days with Ford dealerships (wasted time-not their fault but what's in it for them) and RV dealerships to see who might know what, if anything, can be done. After all that I've seen, the best seems to be to trade in the pickup for a new one that can be towed and then use a bike lift to put the bike on the bed.
I am sure other people will chime in here but if you are looking at having to buy another vehicle that is towable. Look at Chevrolet Silverado. GM seems to have the most vehicles that are towable of all the car companies We have a Buick enclave that I have towed about 10,000 miles now with no problems. I have a 2006 Silverado 2500 4X$ with diesel engine and Allison transmission. All I have to do is put the electronic transmission case in neutral and pull fuse to tow it. I have not done it because I did not need to but if I ever decide to take my BMW police bike with me I will get a loader and tow the Silverado.

I was going to recommend that you could get a transmission pump and tow it but according to Remco (sells pumps for towing auto transmissions) Not only do you have to have a pump you have to have a driveshaft decoupler. To me tha would be too much expense and trouble to do.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Okay....after a number of trips since October, without a toad vehicle, I'm ready to go ahead and tackle this problem. All the bikes are now in Florida (1992 Saki Vulcan, 2002 Honda Shadow and 2007 HD RoadKing). I'm going with a new truck and decided on putting the bike in the back of the truck. I played with just buying a Jeep Wrangler and forgetting about the bikes for now, but I found myself at local Jeep dealerships with my F150 and saying "I love my truck but it looks like a lot of people tow a Jeep". Then I realized it. I love my truck. So I'm trading it in for a new truck tomorrow. Will try to get an 8 foot bed but from what I've read from your responses a 6 1/2 bed with the gate down works just as well.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Okay....after a number of trips since October, without a toad vehicle, I'm ready to go ahead and tackle this problem. All the bikes are now in Florida (1992 Saki Vulcan, 2002 Honda Shadow and 2007 HD RoadKing). I'm going with a new truck and decided on putting the bike in the back of the truck. I played with just buying a Jeep Wrangler and forgetting about the bikes for now, but I found myself at local Jeep dealerships with my F150 and saying "I love my truck but it looks like a lot of people tow a Jeep". Then I realized it. I love my truck. So I'm trading it in for a new truck tomorrow. Will try to get an 8 foot bed but from what I've read from your responses a 6 1/2 bed with the gate down works just as well.
Fyi ; the ford f150 4x4 automatic is towable 4 down. No fuse pulling or other duties. Just put in 4x4 per owners manual instructions and tow.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #24

2014 Phaeton Hitch height

Do I need a drop receiver? Waiting on delivery of coach. Have Blue ox aventa LX and base plates for 2014 chevy equinox. Estimate that the tow bracket will be approx 15 inches off ground so need to know what height the 2014 QTH receiver hight will be. Blue ox says +/- 3 inches is max difference Your measurement will be appreciated .
Old 04-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #25

Tandem Tow

Be sure to check out the Tandem Tow trailers. I'm using one with a Spyder on board and a Mazda CX-5 on the dolly part. It works very well. I had to get the XL model due to the width of the Spyder but with one bike and then the car/truck, the regular sized one would work fine.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Folks, I am at LazyDays in Seffner, Florida today to have them put the Blue Ox Base Plate and Air Force Braking system on my 2014 F150. Went with the truck /put the Harley in the back/ answer.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Did this for a year with the F-150. STRONGLY recommend you go with the Rampage or similar loader. I used the manual approach with a Big Boy ramp. While it works it is scary and I almost lost the bike sideways twice. Good luck and have fun riding.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote