RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2014 Phaeton 40QTH and motorcycle lift

Just purchased my 2014 Phaeton 40QTH around a month ago and have been pouring over the forums here. My wife drives a small 3 series BMW and I drive a 2007 Ford F150 4x4 and, from what I've read, neither is the best vehicle as far as a toad vehicle is concerned. So, it looks like another vehicle is in the future.
However, I also have two bikes. A 2007 Harley Road King (in excess of 900 lbs) and an old 2000 Honda Shadow (around 439 lbs). So, tonight I've been flying back and forth between the Tiffin Phaeton spec pages, this forum, the Hydralift and Cruiserlift motorycle lift pages and I've come close to getting a headache. i've cranked some equation that ends up at 1422 for the Honda but it says now go find a sectioned weight scale at a truck stop to see if that's within the delta for the GAWR (rear) and actual. It appears that, more often than not, people do not recommend putting a motorcycle lift on any Phaeton that doesn't have a tag axle (40 foot and less) yet I've seen some posts that say its been done, it works fine, don't have either the extra bathroom or the washer/dryer combo in the back, Tiffin says it'll work fine since the Freightliner chassis can handle more than spec'd....etc...etc.

Any one out there with a late model Tiffin Phaeton that has had it done and it works?....does adding the lift to the frame void the warranty?

JerryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #2

we had an 07 40 qsh. Cruiser lift on the back and honda crv in tow. Gone all over the country with goldwing on the lift and no issues at all. The chassis carries it just fine ; well within specs!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the reply anotherone. I'm starting to get a better feeling on this.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #4

one other thing ; the new chassis has 1000 lbs more rear axel capacity than our 07 which didnt even feel stressed.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
You can go to the Blue Ox web site, and they have a formula there to compute how much weight you'll be putting on your rear axle based on the weight of the lift and the weight of the MC. This will give you a ball park figure before you go to the expense of the lift only to find out it puts you over weight on your rear axle. My way to handle this issue for us, is to get a Nissan Frontier w/standard trans, load my Honda Shadow Aero in the truck and AWAY WE GO.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #6

Remember you can also get a loader for a pickup bed, and carry bike in pickup box. Thats what I did years ago. Just another option.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Remember you can also get a loader for a pickup bed, and carry bike in pickup box. Thats what I did years ago. Just another option.
that's what I was going to say bike's in back of truck and tow truck either 4 down if able or on a dolly
Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #8

The bike in the pickup worked well for me but we ended up with the wife's car and the bike on a trailer. The best part is I can backup if necessary.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
GKKeiger, thanks for the reply. I thought of a trailer originally but put that aside, thinking that it would be a tremendous pain to continue trying to find a place to put it at every campground we entered. I assume you put a hitch lock on it when set to the side.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not sure why a 4x4 ford would not make a good tow vehicle unless it has one of the transfer cases that will not go into neutral. ( Dodge has several like that and so do a few jeeps) If you go the truck route I am assuming you looked at bike lifts for the pickup bed. That would make for a very easy scenario. Drive the bike on to the lift hook up to lift push up button lift goes into truck and you are done. Hook tow bar up to truck. Hook up safety chains, lights, brake etc. you are done. 5 min to hook up truck probably ten or so for bike. 15 minutes and you are on the road.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGal View Post
GKKeiger, thanks for the reply. I thought of a trailer originally but put that aside, thinking that it would be a tremendous pain to continue trying to find a place to put it at every campground we entered. I assume you put a hitch lock on it when set to the side.
Jerry,
I agree about the storage issue, but we only use ours when going south for the winter. There is a very large storage area at the resort we stay at. When we take short camping trips we just throw our 500# bike on a bumper carrier and don't worry about a car. We used to ride HD's and large BMW's but at 70 lighter is better.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #12

when we trailered the car and bike it wasnt for a one time travel and unload. It was on long term vacation all around country and unloading car got old. Bike was sideways on a triple d loader and was a piece of cake.
The tripledloader is by far easy and is best in the back of a truck. It has the least amount of issues loading and unloading. If your interested in the truck thing look at their website loading video.
We now use a lift on the back of motorhome and a tow bar for car ; towbars are really easy.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I am not sure why a 4x4 ford would not make a good tow vehicle unless it has one of the transfer cases that will not go into neutral. ( Dodge has several like that and so do a few jeeps) If you go the truck route I am assuming you looked at bike lifts for the pickup bed. That would make for a very easy scenario. Drive the bike on to the lift hook up to lift push up button lift goes into truck and you are done. Hook tow bar up to truck. Hook up safety chains, lights, brake etc. you are done. 5 min to hook up truck probably ten or so for bike. 15 minutes and you are on the road.
The manual on the 2007 F150 says that with an electronic shift transfer case, it is not recommended to tow the truck more than 50 miles without disconnecting the front and rear drive shafts. I spent the last few days with Ford dealerships (wasted time-not their fault but what's in it for them) and RV dealerships to see who might know what, if anything, can be done. After all that I've seen, the best seems to be to trade in the pickup for a new one that can be towed and then use a bike lift to put the bike on the bed.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGal View Post
The manual on the 2007 F150 says that with an electronic shift transfer case, it is not recommended to tow the truck more than 50 miles without disconnecting the front and rear drive shafts. I spent the last few days with Ford dealerships (wasted time-not their fault but what's in it for them) and RV dealerships to see who might know what, if anything, can be done. After all that I've seen, the best seems to be to trade in the pickup for a new one that can be towed and then use a bike lift to put the bike on the bed.
Jerry,
If you do that, I recommend a Rampage lift. Load by myself in 10 min. safely and easily. They can be bought used (ebay or CL). I bought mine off CL for $1500 used it two years and sold it for the same. My Colorado only had a 6' bed but if you get a 1/2 ton with an 8' you can close the tailgate. This was no problem for me though.