Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40 AH Pos and Cons

GOOD DAY TIFFIN OWNERS

WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF SELLING OUR 2008 MONACO CAYMAN XL 37PDQ AND UPGRADING.

WE ARE ACTIVELY LOOKING AT A PRIVATE PARTY SALE OF A USED 2014 PHAETON 40AH WITH EXTREMELY LOW MILEAGE.

WONDER IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE WHO MIGHT HAVE 40AH EXPERIENCES AND COULD PROVIDE ANY PROS AND CONS ON THE UNIT

REGARDS
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Please turn off the caps.

They released the 40AH after we had bought our 36GH. The only thing that stands out in the 2014s is that Tiffin upgraded the video distribution system throughout the coach which had it's growing pains.

You may also want to check the other Tiffin site - tiffinrvnetwork.com for more information on that particular model.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We have owned a 2015 Phaeton 40AH for 1 year. We like the layout and the features our unit came with. It's all electric with induction cooktop, dishwasher, washer/dryer, etc. There is good storage and we like the size of the 1 bathroom. The kitchen layout is very functional although the pantry is on the small side.

We are traveling on a full-time basis and never felt cramped. We feel the Phaeton provides great value for the money.

The downside to the layout is the front captain's chairs don't work well when turned around as recliners. The L-sofa gets in the way of the drivers seat. And the dinette chair is too close to the passenger seat. The sofa itself isn't the most comfortable, nor the recliner next to the fireplace.

With all that said - we've made a decision to trade it in on a 2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4369. One thing we were not completely aware of is how difficult a 40' motorhome could be to drive on windy days with no tag axle. That is our least favorite thing, and it has nothing to do with the floorplan. We drove the Dutch Star on a very windy day in New Mexico and it drove like a dream. The comfort steer and tag axle make a huge difference and is much less tiring.

Also, we don't like the carpet in the slides. Again, nothing to do with the 40AH layout. But it's annoying to sit at the dining table with half the chair on carpet, the other on tile. Newmar's all tile is much cleaner

We like the 40AH layout. A bath and 1/2 would be nice, but not necessary for us. Our friends describe our Phaeton as a "Palace on Wheels".

Good luck with your choice!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the QBH but other than the layout itself, they are the same coach. We have not had any major problem with the coach. Yes we have had a few minor problems but nothing that I did not fix myself. Ours has never been back to a dealer or to the Mecca ,Red Bay.
Ours handles Ok on windy days, not as good as a tag axle but then you are comparing apples to oranges. We have the blue ox Tru control that helps on windy days. I can say it handles much better than the previous gasser we had both on calm and windy days
The coach has plenty of power, we tow a 1500 GMC pickup.
Make sure you get all the service records
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We traded a 2013 Winnebago Suncruiser 37F (gas) in on a new 2016 Phaeton 40AH.
Very pleased with the ride and handling in all weather conditions, we tow a 5000# Jeep.
Not many people mention brakes but there is a huge difference in braking performance on the diesel, I feel much safer.
cgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #6

2017 Phaeton 40 AH

We bought our Phaeton last September and have lived in to since then. We have a long list of things that need to be fixed and it goes in the shop in June. Here are the design changes we would make if we could:
1) The strip of carpeting along the kitchen area is a pain. It is almost impossible to keep it clean. We would prefer to have some sort of hard surface there.
2) We have the table rather than the booth. It is annoying to sit at table in the chairs with 2 legs on the carpeting and 2 on the tile. It means the chair sits lopsided.
3) While there are many cabinets, there aren't any that are tall enough to store tall items such as a tall bottle of olive oil.
4) In the front there are multiple cabinet with various controls. It would make much more sense to put all of the controls in one cabinet.
5) Along the table there is a counter top. It extends from the wall about 13 inches. There is a computer tray that extends out but it does extend far enough to accommodate an average sized laptop. The counter top (along with the cabinets, drawers, and computer tray) needs to extend something like 4 more inches.
6) In front of the passenger seat is a slide-out for a computer or desk. With the passenger seat as far forward as it will go, it is too far from the passenger to be of any use.
7) While not a design issue, the wiring in the coach is as bad as I have ever seen. For example, under the bed there is a mass of wires all balled up. There are other places in the coach where the wiring is similar.

Even with all of that we still like the coach. the lay-out suits us very well. It drives well with plenty of power when towing our CR-V.
RVingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
OMG, we have the same complaints. The carpet in the kitchen drives us crazy, the "desk" in front of the passenger seat, the lopsided chairs in the dining area, etc.

We just got our rig back after several fixes needed. I'm curioiius - can someone tell me if the list below is typical during the first year of ownership of a new Class A? Now that I look back it seems like a lot, but perhaps it just normal?

1. Heated floor in the living room area quit
2. XM radio is inop.
3. Front Air Conditioner Motor came loose, broke the fan, motor replaced
4. Slide Topper on passenger side was installed incorrectly. Wouldn't pull back when the slide was closed requiring us to climb on the roof and "help" it. The fabric tore/had to be replaced.
5. A second side topper was also installed incorrectly and required replacing
Both TV splitter boxes fried
6. Fireplace heater fan fried; replaced
7. Aqua Hot - one pump quit; no heat in bedroom area; replaced
8. Shower door - magnetic strip fell out; replaced
9. MESS of wires in the television cabinet - a disaster
10. Dishwasher drainage pipe was installed but not tightened - resulting in a flood under the sink and water running out of passenger slide
11. USB ports in desk/buffet - wires loose and worked intermittently
12. Ice Maker in Freezer leaked - was replaced.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #8

Design Changes

After I posted my list of design changes, I remember another. In the bathroom there are 3 towel racks. One is in the shower enclosure, one is above the toilet, and one (which is really just a round hanger for a hand towel) is next to the shower. The one in the shower enclosure is OK for a wash cloth but not for a wet towel. So the only rack suitable for a towel after a shower is the one above the toilet. I called Tiffin Parts and asked if they had a matching towel rack with a longer rod. They said they did not. I wanted a longer one to mount on the back of the door. I went to the hardware store and found a rack that almost matches the ones there and mounted it on the door.
RVingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:12 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
The 2014 40AH was a new floor plan that first appeared just before the end of the model run. I bought mine new in June 2014, and, as a solo RVer who has used it nearly full-time, have generally been very pleased.
Here are some of my best-liked features:
-Roomy bathroom and walk-in closet that are separate from one another and can be easily shut off from the rest of the coach.
-Dinette across from sofa, instead of on the same side, to make the layout more "conversational" when I have visitors.
-Computer/workstation dinette that easily accommodates my 15" MacBook Pro and HP Envy all-in-one printer.
-Large galley with plenty of counter & cabinet space and refrigerator and pantry on the same side.
-Very quiet and smooth drive with sufficient power.
About the only change I would make in the layout would be to replace the L-shape sofa with a straight one, which would allow me to turn the (more comfortable) driver's seat around.
All in all, I've had very few problems. Perhaps the worst has been the slide topper on the long, front passenger slide, which has been replaced twice due to high winds.
The only real modifications I've made include a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Winegard Trav'ler satellite dish, Rayzar Automatic antenna & ConnecT WiFi extender.
D Moffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:52 PM   #10

We have been enjoying our 40 AH. Some design flaws that we echo are the carpet on the slide outs and dining room chairs being off kilter.
I am still getting used to the size compared to our previous 06 Dolphin 34'.
Definitely like the ride and brakes and how quiet it is compared to the old gas coach.
I was expecting a bit more acceleration with the ISL 380 but my friends say that s how they are.
Currently in the shop for small warranty corrections,
Front a/c unit won't stay engaged on low fan-cycles on and off
Brake lamp unit falling out
Directv transponders won't work
Drivers side solar shade won't retract
Outside awning literally collapsed to the ground
Also having self induced body damage repaired...

2016 Grand Cherokee Summit
jagbuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seems like the biggest CONS are the L Shaped Sofa and the Short Carpet Edges in relation to causing the loop sided "Chair Syndrome"
Old 05-04-2017, 06:32 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
There are only 2 of us, we pull the dining table out a little bit so the chairs sit flat on the floor, no big deal
cgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Our front A/C went out a few months ago and required the motor and fan be replaced. Now the back unit is making a horrific noise. We don't need, but we don't dare run until it's fixed.

I expected first year issues. We have had our share (read the post), but they just seem to keep coming.

As far as the floorplan - one more dislike - the outdated/ugly fans Tiffin hangs over the dash. Look like they are from the 70's.

A like - the navigation system is good. Pleased with that.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #14

Bad handling on a DP??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
We have owned a 2015 Phaeton 40AH for 1 year. We like the layout and the features our unit came with. It's all electric with induction cooktop, dishwasher, washer/dryer, etc. There is good storage and we like the size of the 1 bathroom. The kitchen layout is very functional although the pantry is on the small side.

We are traveling on a full-time basis and never felt cramped. We feel the Phaeton provides great value for the money.

The downside to the layout is the front captain's chairs don't work well when turned around as recliners. The L-sofa gets in the way of the drivers seat. And the dinette chair is too close to the passenger seat. The sofa itself isn't the most comfortable, nor the recliner next to the fireplace.

With all that said - we've made a decision to trade it in on a 2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4369. One thing we were not completely aware of is how difficult a 40' motorhome could be to drive on windy days with no tag axle. That is our least favorite thing, and it has nothing to do with the floorplan. We drove the Dutch Star on a very windy day in New Mexico and it drove like a dream. The comfort steer and tag axle make a huge difference and is much less tiring.

Also, we don't like the carpet in the slides. Again, nothing to do with the 40AH layout. But it's annoying to sit at the dining table with half the chair on carpet, the other on tile. Newmar's all tile is much cleaner

We like the 40AH layout. A bath and 1/2 would be nice, but not necessary for us. Our friends describe our Phaeton as a "Palace on Wheels".

Good luck with your choice!
LMAO. I have a gas Tiffin and have no problem with the handling. Now this owner says his DP handles badly although all other DP owners say they handle so much better than a gasser. Who knows who to believe??

Tags
tiffin