Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 02:59 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2014 yr model issues??????

Hi guys
I don't post a lot but the wife and I are looking at a bigger RV. I found a 2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP. It has the bath and a half and the 450 motor. Someone in our resort we live in mentioned a few years where there were a lot of issues, especially with slide leaks, and I was just wondering if the 2014 might be one of them. The coach only has 9K miles so obviously it has been sitting so that has me worried. I am a retired Air Force mechanic so I am pretty handy on most things. The new to us coach is either going to be this one or the bigger Entegra Anthem 45 footer.

I look forward to hearing from folks that own the Tiffin.
toyzforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I think you'll find most coaches have been sitting for a while. The Bus is a great coach. I think though, if I had a 36-footer and wanted a bigger coach, I wouldn't stop at 40-41, I'd get the 45 footer you are looking at, which will include a tag axle. All depends on year, price, condition, etc. but you have to wonder if the hassle and expense of upgrading is worth it for only 4 or 5 more feet. Of course, I am a bit partial to the larger coaches.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We had a 2014 Phaeton and I don't remember any particular problems for that year other than the switch to CAT5 TV signal cabling which a source of problems for some for a couple of years. Slide leaks are not a problem that is normally associated with Tiffin so I'm not sure where you were getting your information.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
2015 Phaeton here. Dry as a bone,even after being in some huge monsoon rains. Slide seals are probably no different with the bus. Our Phaeton has been a very reliable rig and I'm sure the bus would be also. Of course, the Anthem would be a sweet machine also.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
I think you'll find most coaches have been sitting for a while. The Bus is a great coach. I think though, if I had a 36-footer and wanted a bigger coach, I wouldn't stop at 40-41, I'd get the 45 footer you are looking at, which will include a tag axle. All depends on year, price, condition, etc. but you have to wonder if the hassle and expense of upgrading is worth it for only 4 or 5 more feet. Of course, I am a bit partial to the larger coaches.
LOL that is kind of what I was thinking as well but have to sell the wife on the 45. She thinks we will have issues finding places to camp and not being able to stay in state parks. I reminded her the last state park we stayed in didn't have level ground anyways. Our plans is for this to be the last coach we buy as I am looking at retiring for good here very soon at a young age of 54 LOL. Then we want to travel around the country and stay at military bases along the way.

I like the bus and actually found another one that was 45ft but just have to keep her happy. I bought the current rig without her consent and I was in the dog house for a long while LOL.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #6

"Happy wife, happy life." The best way to get the 45' is for it to be "her idea."
Old 10-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought ours used and it has been incredible. I've spent more time on mods than real upkeep. We full time and last year spent the winter in KY and we were as comfortable as the S&B.

The one issue we had, and could have been a real problem, is the wired connection under the half bath for the heated floors. The front zone wasn't working so after researching I found info that stated the wiring wasn't attached well enough. I tell everyone that is considering a bus in that time frame to check it out.

I agree with the others that if you are thinking bigger, go bigger but understand the both people have to be happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	263263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	263264  

brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
We bou
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #9

I vaguely remember Tiffin had a problem called the big 3. I think one problem was the wet bay and another was the roof. Can’t recall the third. Most were corrected by Tiffin via warranty at their Red Bay facility. I would get the vin number and call TiffIn and get the history of this prospective rig. I would also consider the 45 Bus. I has a great floor plan, very similar to the 40 but a much larger master bath and closet that your wife will love. As far as being too big, most National and State Parks have been improved in reciently years and can now handle big rigs. Almost all private parks, many surrounding NP and SP, also handle big rigs.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a 2014 40SP Allegro Bus march of 2018, so have had fit or about 18 months. It also had about 8k miles when purchased. It is an incredible coach. The previous owner did change the fluids regularly.

Bought it in Florida and drove it home to Washington state. This is our first coach and there are so many systems on it. I think I called Tiffin about every other day with a question. They were GREAT. I have upgraded several items and like all coaches, they are always a few things that could be attended to.

I replaced the inmotion Sat to DirectTV HD. upgraded the cooktop, the old one did not work so well. Since it was in Florida I have been mitigating surface rust here and there. Took the coach to a Cummins service center and had them replace all fluids and filters. They also had many good recommendations on how to take care of the fabulous machine. New front tires since they are THAT old.

We are now in Moab, since Monday. Last weekend we were in Breckinridge for 5 days. On the second day the temp dropped to 7 degrees and we had about 6 inches of snow. The heated floors, the fireplace, and the Aqua Hot heating system all worked flawlessly. Warm and toasty inside, the basement also nice and warm, no freeing there either.

On this trip we have driven thru Washington, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and now Utah. So have driven over countless Passes over 9-10k feet. Pulling a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has worked well. It does slow down a bit when driving up a 7 degree pass, but hey that's a steep hill.

We now have about 20k miles on it and the drive train has performed flawlessly. So many great systems on this Bus that it has taken some time to figure them all out.

40 feet seems to be a good solution for us. A friend has the exact same coach, but a 45ft. It is larger, but since we move around a lot I feel the 40 ft is better. There are times that I glad that's all the longer it is. It seems most of the 45ft'ers seem to be parked more than moving.

So, the 2014 40SP has been a great purchase and we are really enjoying it.

Jeff
Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I vaguely remember Tiffin had a problem called the big 3. I think one problem was the wet bay and another was the roof. Can’t recall the third. Most were corrected by Tiffin via warranty at their Red Bay facility. I would get the vin number and call TiffIn and get the history of this prospective rig. I would also consider the 45 Bus. I has a great floor plan, very similar to the 40 but a much larger master bath and closet that your wife will love. As far as being too big, most National and State Parks have been improved in reciently years and can now handle big rigs. Almost all private parks, many surrounding NP and SP, also handle big rigs.
Wet bay, roof rails, and slide floor. I don't remember the exact years, but they were something like 2007 or 2008 though 2011 or 2012. A 2014 model year shouldn't have those problems.

- The wet bay had a wood flooring, and it was rotting.
- The roof rails were causing spider cracks along the curved portion where the roof meets the sides.
- The exterior wood floor of the slide behind the driver was getting wet and rotting.

Googling "Tiffin Big Three (or 3)" should get more specifics if you're interested.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:18 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the info. Seeing as I just got home from Iraq and we talked more about it, I think we are gonna look at the 45ft entegra
Old 10-18-2019, 10:37 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra makes a nice coach, but having seen both. I think Tiffin is a much better product.