RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #1

2015 Allegro Open Road 36LA--no 12V power

Hi,
Brand new owner to any type of motor home. I've had the Allegro less than 4 weeks. And two of those weeks the coach was with a repair shop with some issues with the windows. The dealer PDI was terrible. That's another story.

I got the RV back on Thursday night...went to take it out today (Saturday afternoon) and no 12V power...the switch at the door doesn't do anything. I really can't do much of anything with no air conditioning, slides, take monitors, lights, etc..

I checked the fuses...low and behold, the 20 amp "Trailer12V Power" had a 5 amp fuse in it!? Looks like 2 slots were transposed. I replaced the 5 with a 20...but alas, still no 12V.

I also made sure the inverter was in "Auto" position with nothing tripped.

I'm having the batteries checked tomorrow but would be shocked that these new batteries could go dead in less than 48 hours with nothing running?

Any other ideas? Any other fuses that control that switch at the door? I'm supposed to be meeting some people out west and am beside myself with frustration that we can't get on the road. Trying to be patient through the diagnosis process but am starting to fear something serious is wrong...

Thanks in advance.
Liz

paoliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 10:30 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Does the engine start? That uses the chassis batteries.

Does the generator start? That will charge the house batteries, assuming your charger is turned on.

Is the house battery disconnect switch, turned to the ON position? Big switch by the batteries.

If you have a voltmeter, what voltage is on the house batteries?

Couple of areas to start looking at, to figure what is happening.

Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #3

We killed our house batteries twice in our storage unit, both in very short periods of time as the shared 120v circuit we plugged into had been tripped. We Have since changed our storage process plugged into the shared 20amp circuit so that we throw the 120v breaker off on the fridge, and put the inverter on charge only. No problems since. If no power in storage, you need to turn the inverter off as well as the 12volt switch by the door (and maybe even the master 120v breaker) as the parasite losses are very quick to kill the house batteries.

Getting back to your issue, and I will also assume your stairs did not deploy either, I would suggest starting you're generator, ensuring the inverter is on, and see what happens. If you quickly get back all interior power (12 and 120) you just killed your house batteries, and you need to run your gernator for quite awhile to get them fully charged. If you can plug it in , even better, whether it is 15,20,30, or 50 amp and you would not have to run your generator then......
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:48 AM   #4

Hi Dave...thanks so much for your info...please see belwo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Does the engine start? That uses the chassis batteries. Engine does start.

Does the generator start? That will charge the house batteries, assuming your charger is turned on. Generator does start...how long would I have to run it to get some charge?

Is the house battery disconnect switch, turned to the ON position? Big switch by the batteries. I'm going to attach two photos--the panel by the door, that is ON, but I don't actually see what I would call a "Big Switch" by the batteries. Am I missing something by the batteries?? I did *just* get it back from some cosmetic type services, but I was able to reach them yesterday and they claim they didn't turn anything off...

If you have a voltmeter, what voltage is on the house batteries? Is this something I can pick up at a walmart or does it require more expertise to use?

Couple of areas to start looking at, to figure what is happening. Thanks! Its times like this that I hate being such a girl! LOL
Old 09-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Open the bay that contains the house batteries and there should be a very visible Red (mine is Red) turn switch. It is always located in the bay where the batteries are. You have one for you chassis/start batteries. Make sure that is on.

Check your inverter, usually located upside down in a storage bay close to the house battery bay. It has fuses on it. Push the reset button on it.

A volt meter can be found at places like Home Depot, Walmart, etc. Make sure you get a decent one that reads 110 and 12 volt. It should have leads on it. I also have a clamp meter I got from Amazon which is great to check power on a line.

If your batteries are really dead it will take several hours to recharge them by generator. You probably would do better to remove them and charge them using a good external charger. If you do that take pictures of the wiring setup on the batteries before taking it off. Some have charged them using an external charger without removal but mine are so tight and covered with cables I can't do that.

For your info, the inverter is what charges your batteries. You should be able to see battery state along with tank levels on a monitor usually located above the drivers seat.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #6

Once you start the generator you should get power just about instantly both 12 and 120v. Just start there, if you get power you just killed the house batteries..... It will take awhile to fully charge the batteries.

You do not have a master battery switch.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #7

So was able to get the batteries tested--they are all full.

The best current thought is that the switch at the door to enable the 12V has gone bad...found someone to look at it first thing Tuesday and will go from there.

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions/contributions to get us to where we are with the diagnosis.

It's frustrating but at least I've been able to rule out several things! :-)
Old 09-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I just found this which might help..

A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login

It is a link to the Tiffin RV Forum where a 2015 QBA owner had a similar problem. The normal guess work didn't identify the culprit but a good Tiffin dealer did I guess.
Calliedo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #9

Thanks Chuck for sharing the info from the TiffinRVNetwork--I couldn't totally follow all the details but I think we're in the same ballpark!

As a quick aside, I have had a wonderful experience at Wilson RV in Sunbury, OH should anyone every need help in the central Ohio area--Mike been so great. Anyway, he called this morning to let me know the problem is in the battery disconnect. However, because it's so inconsistent, they can't determine if it's the cellinoid (sp?), the control board or the switch. At this point, they are contacting Tiffin but are suggesting a replacement of the whole thing. (The coach is a month old.) Because that will take time, he's going to bypass it all and just keep the batteries on which won't be a problem as long as I'm using the coach. So hopefully, can be on the road tomorrow and deal with this in a few weeks when we get back!!

Again, thanks to all who shared ideas to help me diagnosis (or eliminate things! :-)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #10

The 12v disconnect on my 36 LA has a 3 position switch, on, center, and off. If switched from on to center, the 12V is cut off and the switch must be turned to off before its turned to on for the solenoid to switch back on.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #11

12v switch

I have a 2014 Allegro Open road, LA36 and was told by the Tiffin factory that the gas coaches do not have a 12V turn off for the chassis battery. I'm reading this after the fact for the lady with the house battery issue, but when our coach was brand new, the house batteries were almost completely out of water!! Hence we got to our first destination and did not have any real juice for anything unless the generator was running. Filled the batteries once we saw them but they were shot. Called Tiffin and they reimbursed me for buying four new Trojans for the house. You are supposed to get delivery with 4 not 2 house batteries and I had to fight with my dealer out here in California for the other two batteries; they won because they installed them with nearly no water!!

Dr. Hendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power