Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2016 36LA bedroom light/slide switch

Our bedroom slide has an intermittent issue with not retracting. Recently it has taken many presses of the retract button on the wall switch to get it to respond. When I press the retract button I hear a click on the breaker panel near the foot of the bed, and the NET #19 light comes on. It take 6-10 presses of the button before the slide motors wake up and retract the slide. I inquired with Tiffin Service and they said it sounds like a switch issue. This is the retract switch on the bedroom wall and not the slide control module in the electric basement bay. Has anyone swapped out the spyder switches on the wall in a 2016 model? I can’t figure out how they pop off. Do the wires have plugs and would I be able to just unplug from the bad switch and plug into the new? There is also a blank spacer on our existing spyder switch. It has 8 positions but only 6 are used. Hopefully this blank filler piece can also be moved over to the new switch I think I need. Hopefully it’s not to complicated. Lol

Thanks for everyone’s help!
Steve
stevel720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Steve. The panels are easy to change out. The cover just pries off and there are four screws on the circuit panel inside. The control wire just plugs into a network cable inside the wall, just be careful to not let the cable drop back into the wall cavity.

The entire panel has to be replaced, not just one switch position. Each panel is programmed for a particular model and functions and unused spaces are left blank.

You can plug the switch panel directly into the NET Port on the main control board in the closet to test it. But since the NET Led is lighting up when you press the switch, it doesn't sound like the switch panel is the problem. All it does is send a signal to the main control board to activate a particular circuit.

Pull the cover off of the G6 chassis panel in the DS front compartment. The slide controller is the top circuit board. Check to make sure all of the connections are tight. I had a similar problem with intermittent non working slides, sometimes the front hydraulic and sometimes the bedroom. I replaced the control board and have not had a problem since. That board has to see power from the ignition switch and that the parking brake is set before it sends power to the slide.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Lt. Dan.

Thanks for your reply. Obviously you know what you are talking about. Thumbs up! I thought similar about the slide switch on the wall. If it wasn’t working I would not see the #19 LED light up. Makes sense to me. Your explanation was very detailed so I went to look in that front Bay. I see Module E has four 25 amp fuses, with #1 being for slideout pwr and #2 being for bedroom slide. Above those also in Module E is a 75 amp fuse and a little black module which I assume is what you replaced? Should I remove that clear cover and gently press the fuses down and also that black module?

Thanks again for your expertise.
Steve
Old 08-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I know there have been changes in the Spyder panels over the various models and years. I'm not familiar with the Module E, but on ours the slide control board is inside the G6 panel. You have to remove the four screws on the panel cover to open it up. It is the top circuit board and does have three circuit breakers and several relays on it. That was the part I replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideControlBoard.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	257656  
Old 08-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Dan.

I’ve attached a photo of my fuse box in the first Bay on the DS. I believe the only fuses related to the slides are above the E in positions 1 & 3. I have gently pressed on these to make sure they’re tight. I also made sure the connections on the bedroom slide controller are tight, especially the EXT & RET plugs. My main slide has always responded when needed (thank God!) and only the bedroom slide RET action is what’s scaring me. But I think if that fails I can manually get the bedroom slide in using the controller. Maybe I’ll have my wife watch the LED read out on that controller next time we bring it in. But like you I really don’t think it’s the light/slide switch on the bedroom wall, since the NET #19 illuminates when I press the RET button.

Thanks for your help Dan.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CC5F8825-070E-4D98-9842-17EC6DA90185.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	257718   Click image for larger version

Name:	EB11C5A4-14A5-477C-A355-17C894050EC3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	257719  

Name:	44431893-36B6-4372-9AC7-088203D02DA0.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	257720  
Old 08-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Okay, I'm stumped. That's a totally different setup than my '15 Allegro RED had and our current Phaeton has. I just ASSumed that a '16 had the Spyder G6 panel in the front but obviously I'm wrong on that one. It does still sound like the switch is okay, but I would pull it off the wall plug it into the NET port on the main controller in the bedroom and see what happens. It's always possible there is a bad connection in the wiring between the panel and the main controller. It sounds more like it's in the E board, the wiring between the main Spyder panel, or in the main Spyder board itself. Since you can hear a click in that area, the relays for the slide may be there instead of up front like ours.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Looking at your photos closer, the black cube object just below the 70amp fuse is a relay. These have been known to have burned contacts which can cause intermittent problems. If that just plugs into the circuit board, you can try swapping it with the one next to it to see if that helps. It may be soldered onto the board so you may not be able to change it out.

Tags
light, lights, slide, switch