Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

2016 Allegro 32SA Ride and Handling Question

Greetings All,

I own a 2016 Allegro 32SA with the Factory Sumo Springs installed. I have put around 600 miles on this vehicle and I am very happy with the ride and handling. However, if it can be improved upon, I am all in. Also, I am the second owner and have never owned an RV before. The total miles on this vehicle is around 4000 miles.

I have read several comments about the CHF(Cheap Handling Fix) and is highly recommended from what I have seen. This fix is where your move the attaching points (To Sway Bar Link) of the front and rear sway bars to the inner hole of the sway bars versus where it is currently connected, which is in the outer holes of the sway bar. Should I make this adjustment to my RV and is there a down side in doing this change.

Additionally, I hear that the Safe-T-Plus shock is all that and a bag of chips. Is this a gotta have for my MH? If so, do I want the Tan 41-180 or the Blue 41-230.

Thanks!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2016, 06:21 AM   #2

I have the tan SafeTPlus on my 31SA on the 24K chassis which is the same as your 32SA. I have set the tire pressures for the actual weight as appropariate, and that's it.

I really see no need for the CHF on our coach (I have Sumos as well). I have had a couple sports cars that I have done moderate to signifanct suspension modifications to, so I fully understand what the CHF does, but I just don't see the need to do it on our coach.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #3

We installed a Roadmaster steering stabilizer, which was a great addition to handling stability. It helps reduce the effects of cross winds, truck wake, constant steering correction due to uneven pavement and hazard from steering tire blowout. There have been issues with the rear stabilizer bar bolts coming loose and falling out on the Ford chassis. Ours was one of them. If it happens you will notice a significant difference in body roll when corning or changing lanes at highway speed.
All the best for safe and happy travels.
Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2017 32SA with about 2500 miles now. I do not have Sumo springs. I first did the CHF at about 1000 miles. It made a very big improvement for me. I did it in relatively cold weather, so only got the fronts done. I will do the back in the spring when the weather warms up. I have also installed the Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer. Again, a noticeable improvement. Far less play in the wheel, far less lane wandering, and don't notice passing semis. Driver fatigue is almost zero after a 500+ mile drive.

I have considered other suspension upgrades, like new shocks or sumos, but quite honestly, with these two upgrades I am very happy with how the coach drives.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Happy trails!
jenglish92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #5

Why can't Tiffin and other manufacturers get the gas A's right when it comes to the chassis!
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a 2016 32SA w/ sumo springs...I thought it handled quite well. We towed a 2000 jeep Wrangler and could hardly tell it was back there. Just like a quiet child n the back seat. Weight distribution is important when handling come up. I always tried to balance my loading of the coach.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would highly recommend a steering stabilizer. We had the Safe-T-Plus installed by Camping World about 2 weeks after we took delivery of our Tiffin Allegro 36LA. Made a big difference even though CW installed the wrong one - of course they did!

CW put the tan one on rather than the blue unit. I called Safe-T-Plus & got a very nice rely advising that if it drives well, don't bother to change it. The blue one has a bit more resistance for a MH over 35'

The Safe-T-Plus really dampened out the need for constant steering inputs. That and the Sumos eliminated the push & sway from an 18-wheeler passing

Happy camping.

Dave
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #8

So everyone is putting time and money into their gas coaches to try and get them to ride like a diesel pusher! So if one can afford a diesel pusher or a very good, one or two year old diesel pusher, shouldn't they just go for the gusto?
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A 1-2 year old diesel pusher is still way more expensive than a brand new gas coach. But I agree with you about pouring money into a gas coach trying to get it to ride like a diesel pusher.

I've owned both and the gas coach (32CA) started out being uncomfortable to drive until I figured out that it needed less input from the driver than I was giving it. I learned to put my elbows on my thighs, look a 1/2 mile ahead, and drive the coach much more relaxed. Guess what? The wondering stopped, the big trucks didn't bother me as much, and it drove much more like I wanted it to - without doing anything other than adjusting tire pressure.

So my suggestion to most of those thinking you need to "fix" the suspension is to check your weight and adjust inflation pressures first and then get many more miles behind the wheel (at least 5000) before making any changes. Start with a rear track bar and if needed, add the front steering stabilizer. The front steering stabilizer isn't so much a suspension upgrade as a safety device to protect handling in case of a rapid loss of air pressure.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
So everyone is putting time and money into their gas coaches to try and get them to ride like a diesel pusher! So if one can afford a diesel pusher or a very good, one or two year old diesel pusher, shouldn't they just go for the gusto?
I might as well throw in my 2 cents.

I wrote a check for our gasser new. I could have written the same check for a 2 year old diesel pusher with less than 5K miles. Purchasing gas versus diesel is not always a cost decision. If you want to know one reason we didn’t want an entry level DP, go to the Thor-Palazzo section and read all the horror stories. Then go to any DP section and read about how expensive and time consuming repairs are. Look in the yellow pages at how many diesel repair shops there are and compare that to the thousands of Ford dealers nationwide that will work on the F53 chassis. Taming the F53 will cost under $1800 (Sumos & 5 Star Tune) and produce a MH that handles well.

Here are a few more reasons we bought a gasser rather than a DP:

1. The F53 is less expensive to repair. Both the hourly rates for Ford technicians and parts are less expensive, and more readily available. Availability was particularly important given we live in a somewhat remote part of the country.

2. The Ford F53 chassis has a tough, reliable drive train that will likely get 200 K miles without major repairs. It will never ride as good a DP, but with the Sumos it is more than acceptable.

3. The Ford 6.8 Liter V-10 Engine has Torque of 457lb-ft @ 3250 rpm & 362hp with a 6 speed transmission (after 2015). A typical entry level DP has the Cummins 6.7 liter Engine, Torque 660lb-ft @ 1600 rpm, 300hp & a 6 speed transmission. Climbing a 6% grade, guess who I’m behind in the truck lane? I’m behind a 300hp DP.

4. You always hear how DPs are so quiet & cool. In a gasser, engine heat & noise is a function of the insulation. In our HM there is no evidence of engine heat in the cockpit. Under the dash & at the firewall Tiffin installed high quality reflective heat/sound insulation. Regarding the noise, there is some engine noise but according to my measurements it never exceeded the 73-76 db range. The 5 Star Tune really helped with this.

5. Gasoline is cheaper and is found everywhere. Fueling times are longer, 6-8 minutes versus 2-3 minutes for a DP. But I never thought I was pushed for time at the gas station. Additionally, the DP uses DEF and it can be a hassle to locate if you’re not at a truck stop. DEF is expensive.

6. Service intervals are in some ways a trade-off. While oil changes are more frequent for a gasser (but extended with synthetic oil) costs are much less. Coolant changes for some DPs (Allison) is required every 2yrs/60K miles versus a gasser at 6yrs/105K miles.

Now don’t get me wrong, DPs are wonderful and I would certainly consider one, particularly a Tiffin or Newmar. But, there are sound reasons to consider a gasser outside of price alone. The quality of build in Tiffin and Newmar gassers equals that of DPs that cost $100K more.

I didn’t mean to stir the pot, but many people are very satisfied with the decision to go gas. I am one of them

Happy camping.

Dave
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I totally agree with Dave's response above.

I considered a DP when we bought ours, but for a number of reasons we chose the gasser. At this point, I have about 2-3 hours of personal time completing the CHF on both the front and rear sway bars, and about $500 in a steering stabilizer. At this point, I am generally very happy with how the coach handles and may not make any more suspension mods. I know it's not a DP and won't ride as nice as one, but I am not spending time and money trying to make it one either.
jenglish92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #12
HGC

2016 Allegro Ride and Handling Question

Our 2014 36LA gasser seems to be one of those gassers that have the amenities of the bottom level Tiffin DPs. We ordered it with ceramic tile which is great and the cabinetry is as bad (poor woodwork and install) or good as the entry Tiffin DPs. Our 1999 Rexhall was 15yrs old when traded and had many more years left in it. It was much less problematic than the new 36LA. But assuming the Tiffin could last as long as the Rexhall it would last as long as the entry diesel and as long as we could use it. And with much less expense in upkeep, repair and initial cost. I could almost buy 2 36LAs for the price of one Phaeton which doesn't have that much of a nicer interior. Just saying IMHO.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
Why can't Tiffin and other manufacturers get the gas A's right when it comes to the chassis!
Really? All motorhome manufacturers buy chassis from wherever and build coaches on top. They are not in the business of screwing with what Ford or anyone else for that matter. Plus it would void the warranties. All this talk about "improving" the chassis by a bunch of wannabe engineers and inveterate nitpickers here can lead you to spending a lot of money for nothing. There will always be grumblers about everything. You will never make any of these motorhomes perfect. Just put gas in them and go camping and enjoy it.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
Really? All motorhome manufacturers buy chassis from wherever and build coaches on top. They are not in the business of screwing with what Ford or anyone else for that matter. Plus it would void the warranties. All this talk about "improving" the chassis by a bunch of wannabe engineers and inveterate nitpickers here can lead you to spending a lot of money for nothing. There will always be grumblers about everything. You will never make any of these motorhomes perfect. Just put gas in them and go camping and enjoy it.
True.
But the MH should have good straight line stability and not exhibit excessive body roll. These are the 2 big complaints.
There needs to be feedback to both ford and coach engineers to improve the sloppy state of Gas MH instability.
M2C