Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 04:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinMaine View Post
I did a 500 mile trip at 85 with full water and propane. Glad I did camp had water issues. Front end felt mushy. This trip at 90 - front feels better. Back no real difference.
AlinMaine,
OK I'm at 88 psi front and just under 90 rear, my ride is much better. At 94 psi it was a bit of a harsh ride on road seams.
What chassis mods do you have on your 32 SA in addition to the rear TB ?
As noted in my first post Factory sumo springs, rear TB and saft Tplus steering.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 04:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Mike are you referring to the 32SA ?
My coach at 94 psi there was a harsh ride . I will also say when bleeding air out of the tires 1 psi is a lot of air.
The 1 PSI will return in about 5 minutes of driving, it's not a lot of air.

Tire pressure varies, much more then that, with air temp, road surface temp and road surface construction. Moving the pressures 5 PSI or less, either way, will be almost undetectable.

Did you ever feel the change in your car, before the low air light came on ? Propably not, otherwise you would have never seen it.

The safe thing to do is use the sticker from the manafacture or use a scale and the tire charts for your tire brand and size.

Using someone else's psi recomendation or just dropping the pressure, until it feels good, can cause the tires to fail. That can be costly, in many ways.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

The safe thing to do is use the sticker from the manafacture or use a scale and the tire charts for your tire brand and size.

Using someone else's psi recomendation or just dropping the pressure, until it feels good, can cause the tires to fail. That can be costly, in many ways.
This /\
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #18

I hope every one of the posters who have dropped their psi from the manufacturers recommendations did so because they set theirs according to their front and rear axle weights.

Otherwise, your desire for an easier ride is putting yourself and others in jeopardy.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
I hope every one of the posters who have dropped their psi from the manufacturers recommendations did so because they set theirs according to their front and rear axle weights.

Otherwise, your desire for an easier ride is putting yourself and others in jeopardy.
DW , good point . Unfortunately you did not take the time to read my first post, if you did you would not have made your inappropriate post.

I am taking an mechanistic approach to get it correct.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
This /\
Again read the first post.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The 1 PSI will return in about 5 minutes of driving, it's not a lot of air.

Tire pressure varies, much more then that, with air temp, road surface temp and road surface construction. Moving the pressures 5 PSI or less, either way, will be almost undetectable.

Did you ever feel the change in your car, before the low air light came on ? Propably not, otherwise you would have never seen it.

Twinboat I totally disagree with the quote one can not detect a 5 psi difference. I sure can, Perhaps you are not as in touch with your coach as I am.
Please read my start post of the thread .. It is not guess work.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #22

Quote:
DW , good point . Unfortunately you did not take the time to read my first post, if you did you would not have made your inappropriate post.

I am taking an mechanistic approach to get it correct.

No one said you didn't, so chill. Others have posted their pressures and the comment was to those who haven't specified whether they've been weighed and how.

If you read the posts on TRVN from their resident tire expert, he'll tell you to add another 5 lbs over the formula for safety purposes.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Twinboat I totally disagree with the quote one can not detect a 5 psi difference. I sure can, Perhaps you are not as in touch with your coach as I am.

Please read my start post of the thread .. It is not guess work.

I gotta go with Twinboat on this. I'm sure it's somewhat dependent on your specific coach & suspension system. I've seen lots of Twonboats posts and I really doubt that you are more it touch with your coach than he is. I'm guessing that you don't know it any better than I know mine also.

I don't know you or anything about you, except that was an arrogant statement.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Again read the first post.
I don't need to read the first post again; I was one of the first people to respond to it, and my response was right on the money. If you (or anyone) hasn't actually weighed their rig, then the "safe" move is to use the placard. But the "best" move is to get a 4-corner weigh and set the pressures accordingly. I have never, nor will I ever, suggested setting tire pressure based on ride quality.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
No one said you didn't, so chill. Others have posted their pressures and the comment was to those who haven't specified whether they've been weighed and how.

If you read the posts on TRVN from their resident tire expert, he'll tell you to add another 5 lbs over the formula for safety purposes.
DW sorry, when you mention every one of the posters my impression was including me.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I've seen lots of Twonboats posts and I really doubt that you are more it touch with your coach than he is. I'm guessing that you don't know it any better than I know mine also.

I don't know you or anything about you, except that was an arrogant statement.
Steve, it was not an arrogant statement . More like expressing the facts. Regarding being in touch I said perhaps , which implied you may or may not. You assumed differently.
And yes I can detect 5psi pressure changes, try it your self.

If you have something technical to add that would be great.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:21 AM   #27

Quote:
I am trying to dial in my 32 SA tire pressure. I am using the following Michelin tire inflation chart for my coach .

Michelin RV Tires | View Michelin RV Tires load and inflation tables for motorhomes and recreational vehicles. | Michelin RV Tires

My coach is Fitted with 255/80 22.5 XRV tires. The dealer had 94 psi in all 6 tires . Was unable to get a 4 corner weight and settled for F & R axle weight.
With a loaded coach the following axle weights are F 8200 , R 13620.Gross F limit 9000 and gross rear 15500.

So we divide the numbers in half for the front corners @ 4100/ side rear @6810/ side.
According to the chart I could be setting the pressure at 80 psi F & R.

I will drop the pressure to 85 and test ride today, reducing the pressure by 9psi.
Side Note : In the last issue of Roughing it smoothly Henderson RV in Oregon did a big write up on the 32 sa regarding chassis modification. Fully loaded they run 80 psi !
So what pressure are you 32 sa owners running ?
Re posted to hopefully get this thread back on point.

Please clarify your source of TP i.e.. Coach posted TP, manufactures recommended TP , TP based on axel or corner weights with tire manufactures recommendations.
Thank You
Old 08-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Re posted to hopefully get this thread back on point.

Please clarify your source of TP i.e.. Coach posted TP, manufactures recommended TP , TP based on axel or corner weights with tire manufactures recommendations.
Thank You

Peter, you really, and I mean REALLY should consult with the resident tire expert over at TRVN. He goes by the moniker of Hobodandee and has a lifetime in the tire business. No sense trying to reinvent the wheel. Give him your weights and he'll tell you EXACTLY what pressures you'll need.

Tags
allegro, tire pressure