RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2019, 05:38 PM   #1

2017 Open Road

Very close to purchasing a 2917 36UA. Iíve hade 6 previous motor homes (all Fleetwoods) and looking forward to my first Tiffin. I think? Anyway I have a couple of concerns.
Has there been any issues with the full body slide as far as alignment, leaks or other problems.
I am also surprised that Tiffin is still using luan ply between the exterior fiberglass and the framing. Have there been many issues of delamination in the late models from water wicking into the luan.
Any information is greatly appreciated on these questions or any other issues.

Thank you,
Ken

KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2019, 06:26 AM   #2

My 2017 32 SA has DS hydraulic full slide WO issue.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #3

Thanks, planning way ahead
Old 08-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #4

The real problem with all gas motor homes is the outdated Ford F53 chassis. It's only one available now, so unless the manufactures complain to Ford about it, consumers are stuck with it and have to do modifications like better shocks; sway bars and track bars; sumo's in the springs. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
vwd

I have owned my 2018 UA for almost two years. The main problem was with the sliding cable tray toward the back of the full wall slide. Mine was installed incorrectly causing it to bind up and push the bottom trim piece to be pushed out slightly. Easy fix. Had to replace the master solenoid on the HWH system. Seems to be a common problem on all the HWH systems. At least on the Open Roads, the system is easy to get to. We like the floor plan. Lots of room inside and more storage than we need in the basement. I may be wrong, but I thought Tiffin eliminated luan in the exterior walls several years ago.
vwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
How to tell that Sumo springs installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
The real problem with all gas motor homes is the outdated Ford F53 chassis. It's only one available now, so unless the manufactures complain to Ford about it, consumers are stuck with it and have to do modifications like better shocks; sway bars and track bars; sumo's in the springs. Dave
Is there a definitive way to know whether your shocks are Sumo (besides the Dealer's upgrade sheet)? Im under my new Open Road and I can id the shocks but there is no label.....I am assuming that SUMO would have some brand identity tattoo'd to the side of the tubes, no?

New to this, obviously.....TIA 4 the replies...
2016 2-Door Wrangler JK, Blue Ox Alpha & Patriot 2
Reyfeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #7

Sumo springs fit between the leaf spring perches and the frame rails. They are ribbed. closed urethane foam. They are colored blue black or yellow usually. Shock absorbers are cylindrical metal tubes with an internal piston and moveable piston.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #8

Sumo's aren't shocks. They are plastic like things on the axles that help with the body bounce and roll. Sorry that I didn't explain. Search internet for more info on Sumo. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #9

VWD,
Another question for you. When the slides are in is the access to the 1/2 bath and bedroom difficult. We commonly stop at rest areas as we travel to our destination. The hall looks very narrow from pictures we’ve seen.
Thanks,
Ken