Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2017 Phaeton 40 IH HOT 1/2 BATH

I have a 2017 40 foot Phaeton IH.
Is there a way to control the heat in the half bath? I understand that the little radiators are hooked in series and the half bath is the first radiator in the line so I cannot put a valve in the line to it. It would be simple to just block off the outlet,(register, vent or whatever you want to call it) however the blower motor would still run, would the heat simply go into the wetbay? Maybe if I just disconnected the blower motor there would be enough heat that would dissipate into the bathroom leaving hotter water to pass around to the other little radiators in the coach.
Does anyone else feel that this is a problem?
Thank you for any responses.
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #2

Yes, it certainly gets warm in there. I would disconnect the fan rather than block the opening. It's on my to do list also.
Boatworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't have an AquaHot and have the opposite problem. There is a small vent from the rear furnace in the mid bath but there's not enough air flow to keep it warm. If you can install a switch on the AH fan that would let you use it as needed.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I was hoping that someone knew of a fuse or circuit breaker that would turn it off, as hot as it gets I don't think that I would ever have cause to turn it on. With its location in the middle of the coach it should be plenty warm without the blower operating. I haven't looked for a fuse or spot to disconnect it yet, thought I would try this forum to see what anybody else has done for the same problem. It's too easy to let my fingers do the talking, I should have looked at a wiring schematic first I suppose.
Thank you

Lt. Dan,
I looked just now and see that you also have a 40 IH. I did not realize that Aqua hot was an option on the model. Surprised to hear that heat would be a problem in the mid bath considering that the rest of the coach is heated.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbe111 View Post
Lt. Dan,
I looked just now and see that you also have a 40 IH. I did not realize that Aqua hot was an option on the model. Surprised to hear that heat would be a problem in the mid bath considering that the rest of the coach is heated.
We have propane and furnaces which with the heated floors and fireplace keeps everything toasty. It's just the mid bath has a 2" duct from the rear furnace and there's not much air flow.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are going to disconnect the fan, maybe put a rocker switch in the line just in case you might want some heat in there on a really cold day....nothing like sitting on a cold seat on a cold morning
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
A good idea to put in a switch of some type, I wonder where the wire is that would be convenient to splice into? Tiffin must have diagram that would identify it, I will have to call their tech guys I suppose.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Just cut into the wire for the blower motor, and install a wire that goes to a thermostatic switch. When the temperature matches what you want... the switch opens, which turns off the blower fan while the rest of the coach is getting heated. You can use a simple thermostat like is used for electric baseboard heat at home depot.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep, just need to find that wire, gotta be behind the louvered panel, hope it has enough slack in it to get to a convenient spot.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have your coach or have that type of heating system, but I just thought of an idea that may or may not work depending upon how it's plumbed.

"If" that is a closed loop zone, "and if" both the ends of the loop come back to the same area, "then" perhaps you can swap the hose ends.....which would send the hot water to the front of the coach first, and then the slightly cooler water would be what is going to the rear half bath before returning to the heater.

It would just swap which floor register gets the hot water first. I also don't know if it would make much of a difference. You could use a temperature gun to understand the temp of the heat coming from the different registers now. If there is little difference in temp, then this idea has zero merit. If there is a big difference, then it may be worth exploring.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
That is a good idea, I will have to track the lines and see where they connect to swap the loop. Good Idea, I will let you know if it is possible and how it works.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:44 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I talked with technical service at Tiffin about reversing the flow. They said it would not work. They said it would air lock, maybe has something to do with the surge/supply tank.
The tech that I talked with was not the tech that said it couldn't be done, he was simply passing on the message. I intend to look at it more closely and figure out what the problem with it is.

Tags
phaeton