Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

2017 vs 2018 Phaeton

Hi Folks,
We are getting ready to purchase our first MH, long time campers but this would be our first MH. We plan to be reverse snowbirds, we'll travel quite a bit in the MH, we don't anticipate parking for longer than about 2 weeks at a time when traveling. After tons of research we are confident Tiffin is the right manufacturer for us. We prefer the Phaeton line and like the 36GH floor plan.

Since we're reaching the end of the year we're considering trying to pick up a leftover 2017, there seem to be a few around still. My question for this post is, are there any significant differences between 2017 and 2018 Phaetons that we should consider? If there is some significant plus to the 2018's? Thanks for you input!
Bearii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #2

If you go to the Tiffin website under the "Owners" tab you can look at brochure pdf's and compare 2017 and 2018 features. Good luck on your RV search.
Doug
Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearii View Post
Since we're reaching the end of the year we're considering trying to pick up a leftover 2017, there seem to be a few around still. My question for this post is, are there any significant differences between 2017 and 2018 Phaetons that we should consider? If there is some significant plus to the 2018's? Thanks for you input!
The only real difference in the 2017 and 2018 is in the electronics and some interior finishes. Our 2017 still has thermostats and the EMS separate from the Spyder controls. The 2018 model has everything integrated into the Spyder. All of the electrical management, air conditioning/heating, and all of the other systems are incorporated into one comprehensive tablet sized control panel. This could be good and bad. If you go to the Spyder web site, there is a comprehensive layout of the 2018 Bus/Phaeton control system that will show what all is in the Spyder system. The user name is Tiffin and pw is Motorhomes
Spyder Controls :: Customer Support Login
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #4

In some cases you can order a new one cheaper that picking one from the dealers lot. That is depending on what the price increase is for the '18's.
And you can get just what options you want and even watch it being built.

Cheers,
superiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #5

It may be tough finding a 2017. Tiffin doesn’t build a coach unless it is sold, either to a customer or a dealer.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #6

We've got a 2008 and we have just been to the factory and viewed the 40IH wow so much nicer than the 2017, The people at Tiffin said it was the number one coach on the production line currently.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
If you go to the Tiffin website under the "Owners" tab you can look at brochure pdf's and compare 2017 and 2018 features. Good luck on your RV search.
Doug
Ah, should have thought of that myself. Still finding my way around the site - great point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
The only real difference in the 2017 and 2018 is in the electronics and some interior finishes. Our 2017 still has thermostats and the EMS separate from the Spyder controls. The 2018 model has everything integrated into the Spyder. All of the electrical management, air conditioning/heating, and all of the other systems are incorporated into one comprehensive tablet sized control panel. This could be good and bad. If you go to the Spyder web site, there is a comprehensive layout of the 2018 Bus/Phaeton control system that will show what all is in the Spyder system. The user name is Tiffin and pw is Motorhomes
Spyder Controls :: Customer Support Login
Wow - thanks! I've been wondering about the Spyder. The couple of dealers we've stopped at seemed fairly clueless - at least the sales folks. This will help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiman View Post
In some cases you can order a new one cheaper that picking one from the dealers lot. That is depending on what the price increase is for the '18's.
And you can get just what options you want and even watch it being built.

Cheers,
I wouldn't have believed it but you are so right Superiman! That is what is pointing us toward seriously considering just ordering a custom one. Besides, I really like the idea of watching ours being built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
It may be tough finding a 2017. Tiffin doesn’t build a coach unless it is sold, either to a customer or a dealer.
Surprisingly I've found several 2017's that are new, unfortunately so far no combo has shown up that seems to have most of what we want. I didn't know they won't do a build unless it's sold, interesting, wonder what the history is on some of these....

Thanks all for the feedback!
Bearii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post

FYI- Thompson's RV in Colton, CA has a couple of 2017 36GH's listed on their website.
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Ah, should have thought of that myself. Still finding my way around the site - great point!

Wow - thanks! I've been wondering about the Spyder. The couple of dealers we've stopped at seemed fairly clueless - at least the sales folks. This will help!

I wouldn't have believed it but you are so right Superiman! That is what is pointing us toward seriously considering just ordering a custom one. Besides, I really like the idea of watching ours being built.

Surprisingly I've found several 2017's that are new, unfortunately so far no combo has shown up that seems to have most of what we want. I didn't know they won't do a build unless it's sold, interesting, wonder what the history is on some of these....

Thanks all for the feedback!

Every MH built by Tiffin will have been ordered by a dealer, either for a customer who has paid a deposit or just to put on there lot for sale. If you order one it will always have the selling dealer and your name on the windshield. If it is a stock order it will just have the dealers name on it. Individual customer orders take precedence over dealer stock orders and the dealer orders get pushed back to the end of the line. My local dealer orders 12-20 stock MHs every year and most years only gets 3-5 of the order due to customer orders taking priority. If you see a new Tiffin sitting on a lot, that dealer has purchased it and ordered it specific. Tiffin doesn’t build spec units just to fill production, when a frame rolls onto assembly, it belongs to somebody.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I highly recommend watching your coach being built. It is an experience you won't ever forget and you will meet some of the nicest people who genuinely care about their product.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote