RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #1

2018 34PA - Help with a door that won't close the first time?

Hi,

I have noticed this happening more often as time goes by. Our door must often be "closed" two or three times before it actually closes. It seems to happen more frequently when we are closing the door from the inside than from the outside. I have looked and do not see anything obviously out of adjustment, and there are no signs where anything is rubbing where it should not. I figure this probably has to do with the latch, and I know there is a recall to adjust the latch to make sure the door does not come open inadvertently. I wonder if this is related?

Does anyone have any ideas about how to correct this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Eddie

emerkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerkel View Post
Hi,
I have noticed this happening more often as time goes by. Our door must often be "closed" two or three times before it actually closes. It seems to happen more frequently when we are closing the door from the inside than from the outside. I have looked and do not see anything obviously out of adjustment, and there are no signs where anything is rubbing where it should not. I figure this probably has to do with the latch, and I know there is a recall to adjust the latch to make sure the door does not come open inadvertently. I wonder if this is related?
Does anyone have any ideas about how to correct this? Thanks in advance for your help.
Eddie
I had the same thing with our '17 Phaeton. What I did to help was removed the three rubber bumpers that are between the door and the screen. I cut about 1/8" off the back side of each one and screwed them back on. That let the door close easier but there was still enough rubber to keep the screen from rattling. You might pull the door latch out of the jamb and see if you have an adjustable one. They are now installing adjustable latches which ours did not have. From what I have seen, then new ones have a star washer and adjustments on the bolt.

Removal is pretty easy. Remove the plastic cover plate, the movable bolt on the door jamb, and the six screws on the latch assembly. If yours looks like ours below, it's not adjustable and I would contact Tiffin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorLatch1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	211826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorLatch2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	211827  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorLatch3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	211828   Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorLatch4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	211829  

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #3

Just had ours replaced with the adjustable version at Red Bay. Door has never closed easier and with no rattle while driving.
Martinichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #4

We received our recall kit about a week ago. It included three new bumpers which were about 1/8 shorter front to back, and they seem to make the door close more solidly, so Lt. Dan is right on track about that modification. The other modification is instructions to adjust the bolt inside the door lock mechanism. I followed the instructions to do it myself and all seems well, but I have yet to take it out "on the road" for a full evaluation. Hopefully you will get a recall kit as well.
MarkandJodie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door