Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 12:26 AM   #43

BobGed

Thanks for taking the time to post the instructions

I agree with you that it looks like you must install the fuse. Without your info I would have turned the switch on and thought all was working when it appears the system still would not have been on.

Once again this site has shown how valuable it is when good people share their knowledge.

Thanks again

Bob Warren
rgwarren718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwarren718 View Post
BobGed

Thanks for taking the time to post the instructions

I agree with you that it looks like you must install the fuse. Without your info I would have turned the switch on and thought all was working when it appears the system still would not have been on.

Once again this site has shown how valuable it is when good people share their knowledge.

Thanks again

Bob Warren
You're very welcome, Bob. I'm attaching a copy of the instructions I received that I found on my computer.

I am also attaching a copy of how I installed the fuse switch inside the cabin of the Cherokee.

Then for the ultimate solution to make the activation completely automatic whenever you attach to the coach, here's a link to the procedure posted by dpinvidic: Make Cherokee Flat Tow mode automatic
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cherokee Flat Tow User Guide.pdf (227.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: pdf Tow Wiring Kit Switch Installation.pdf (657.5 KB, 72 views)
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #45

I never got the death wobble with my 2015 Cherokee Lattitude, but my friend who RVs with us got it with his 2015 Cherokee. Remember the fuse should be removed when you go out of tow mode. My Cherokee occasionally refuses to reengage the transmission when I remove the fuse and go through the process of reengaging the transmission. I have go through the step by process several times and eventually it works. This happens a couple of times during my towing season. The dealership service department has no explanation. BTW, I called customer care and pushed to have the wiring harness sent to the dealer free. They did it after some persuasion.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Electronic steering harness is required.

I have a 17 Cherokee. We towed behind our 36LA. The manual says you must install mopar part that keeps power to the electronic power steering unit when the ignition is turned off wjile you tow. Cost is about $400 installed. We did it . That being said , there were so many steps to do to setup SMI toad brakes, jeep in neutral and turn on electronic power steering by pass we stopped towing Cherokee and now tow a 17 Wrangler. The old “keep it simple stupid “ for us. The Cherokee is a stay at home vehicle. Read your owner s manual.
Tom 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogdt47 View Post
....My Cherokee occasionally refuses to reengage the transmission when I remove the fuse and go through the process of reengaging the transmission. I have go through the step by process several times and eventually it works. This happens a couple of times during my towing season. The dealership service department has no explanation.
The fuse to activate the EPS shouldn't have anything to do with shifting the transmission or transfer case. I think you have a unrelated issue with the transmission/transfer case.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
Acquiring a flat tow wiring harness for a 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk update. Received a call today from Mopar Parts. The part number IS UNDER DEVELOPMENT. They have no idea why it's under development and are not sure if we can place the harness on order through Mopar Parts or from a local dealer. My local dealer still says wait until it's available after development before ordering. Could it be major changes in the wiring harness are coming???????? I sure hope so.

According to my service manager, Jeep has shipped 500 of the new harness and will keep the same part number. I asked because of this thread and just sharing the info.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:04 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Where is the ON/Off Switch?

If you have had the flat tow wiring harness installed in your 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk where is the on/off switch for towing located? Please post a picture of the switch location. I have found the installation procedures for installing the wiring harness. The pictures of the switch and the center console shown in the instructions is completely different then the center console in my 2018 Trailhawk. Still waiting for the under development harness to be released.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine was a toggle switch that Jeep installed in the center console when they installed the kit. My kit was $149 and instalation was $199. There was a fuse under the hood that needed to be put in when towing and taken out when being driven. The toggle was on only when towing. There was a cheat sheet included in kit with instructions how to use. The problem we had was that if you include the intructions to put jeep into neutral...then the SMI toad brakes and then the power steering kit, it was very difficult to do them all in the exact sequence. If you did any wrong which we did several times then the power steering kit would not work. We went to 2 dealerships and nobody could make it work. From AZ to Wa state we were only able to tow on 2 of 5 travel segments. We decided to get a Wrangler. 2 steps and you can tow......
Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #51

Tom please expand on the SMI toad brakes comment and are you referring to the AF1???
Old 03-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SMI is the maker.....Stay In Play is the type tow brake system . It mounts inside the towed vehicle .
Old 03-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SMI is the maker.....Stay In Play Duo is the type tow brake system . It mounts inside the towed vehicle .
Old 03-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 62 View Post
SMI is the maker.....Stay In Play Duo is the type tow brake system . It mounts inside the towed vehicle .

Got it. I use the SMI AF1 system with the air brakes. Thanks
Old 03-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Old 03-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #56

2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Blue Oxe makes the toggle switch accessory, A better point of switch location is where you want. (not where the shop decides) .

Get one and drive around with it for awhile, put it where you want. lesson from drive shaft disconnect (not described) install.

Heck I bet you could cross the switch to a stock Trailhawk switch. And make it look factory.