RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #1

2018 Phaeton entry door problems

Our 2018 Phaeton entry door is extremely hard to open and has come open during driving on 4 occasions. Dealership replaced entry mechanism but we are still having the same problem.....using the deadbolt always but you can hear the door open one "click". If it weren't for the deadbolt Im sure it would open.
If we slam door hard from inside it is very hard to exit. Anyone else with this problem and solution??? We are not in a position to take to Red Bay at the moment and we are very worried about door opening while driving.....very scary!!
Thanks...

ldsmamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get Red Bay involved right now. Our 2016 Allegro had door issues as well from the very start and we finally got it fixed this past winter. And because I had been working with Tiffin and their dealership through the whole process, the door was replaced with a new one under warranty even though it had expired. So get back to your dealership, let him know his fix didn't work and make sure they involve Red Bay Service. Might ultimately mean a drive to Alabama if your dealership can't get it right, but if you get the door fixed at Red Bay, it will be time well spent.

Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the same issue on our '17 when it was new. The door never came open, but it was only catching in the first notch and wouldn't allow the deadbolt to lock. There are two "catches" on the door lock and it has to engage both to be secure. What I found was the rubber seal around the door had not compressed enough to let the door shut all the way to the second catch. For a while, I had to slam it pretty hard to get to the second catch and then the deadbolt would close. After it has been used and sat for a while with the seal compressed, it now works much easier. The handle is still tighter when it's on the second catch but not nearly as tight as when it was new.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I just went thru the same thing. Just picked up 45OPP from Lazydays and on trip back to Ohio the door opened twice because the passenger could not close the door with enough force for the mechanism to latch. In order to close door tightly you had to really slam it shut and then passenger could not open it from inside. I called Tiffin support, in Red Bay, and I was instructed how to remove the striker plate assembly on the door frame and adjust it so that door closed properly. Had to remove plastic cover, marked PTT, 2 screws. Take the latch stud off, not sure what it is called but it is about 1/2 inch round. I used an 8MM allen to remove it. Take the 6 screws out and remove the assembly and then you can see how to make adjustment with the star plates on each side. Used Scotch tape to hold stars in place. I moved it about 1/8 inch, about twice what it was set to at the factory. It still requires some force to close and open but passenger can operate it. If you move the adjustment too much it will not seal and door will be noisy.
I Had the same problem in 2003 with a new at the time T/S Select 45 and never could get it right. Just used the deadbolt.
OhioWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioWayne View Post
I called Tiffin support, in Red Bay, and I was instructed how to remove the striker plate assembly on the door frame and adjust it so that door closed properly. Had to remove plastic cover, marked PTT, 2 screws. Take the latch stud off, not sure what it is called but it is about 1/2 inch round. I used an 8MM allen to remove it. Take the 6 screws out and remove the assembly and then you can see how to make adjustment with the star plates on each side. Used Scotch tape to hold stars in place. I moved it about 1/8 inch, about twice what it was set to at the factory. It still requires some force to close and open but passenger can operate it. If you move the adjustment too much it will not seal and door will be noisy.
I Had the same problem in 2003 with a new at the time T/S Select 45 and never could get it right. Just used the deadbolt.
Apparently they have made some changes in the '18 models. I removed the striker plate assembly on ours and there was no adjustment to be made. You can see the pivot for the door stud is there and the side plates are welded to the backing plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PhaetonDoorLatch.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	202396  
Old 05-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Apparently they have made some changes in the '18 models. I removed the striker plate assembly on ours and there was no adjustment to be made. You can see the pivot for the door stud is there and the side plates are welded to the backing plate.

They have an adjustable striker available, I got one for my 2018 phaeton and adjusted it about a 1/16th looser and my door closes and opens much easier.
jkroboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkroboth View Post
They have an adjustable striker available, I got one for my 2018 phaeton and adjusted it about a 1/16th looser and my door closes and opens much easier.
That's good to know. I just went to the Tiffin on line store and found the assembly. Ours is now working fine, but if I ever have to change it out I'll go with one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5053181_lim.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	202398  
Old 05-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We recently had the same issue on our new 45OPP, luckily we had the dead bolt locked. Both locks were engaged, and we heard a POP and then a lot of rattling inside the door. After I pulled over, I unlatched the dead bolt and the door came open even with the other lock in the locked position. slammed it hard and locked both again, about an hour later did the exact same thing. Drove another 500 miles and nothing. Called Tiffin and they reminded me just to make sure both locks get properly engaged. I am parked for a few weeks, I will see what happens on next trip.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #9

Thanks to all and for the Phaeton owners I hope by now you have gotten info on the recall. we unfortunately had not (as we were on the road) and finally had to stop in Colorado to get it fixed from Transwest Truck Trailer Rv. in Fountain Co...They called Tiffin and were walked through the fix. so far so good! They were absolutely the nicest and most professional people ever!!!!! I wish they were in Fort Worth!
Anyway, Tiffin also sent some different door stop things to change out. It was extremely frustrating for everyone to say "just close the door harder".
Thanks for all responses!

ldsmamie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, ems, entry door, phaeton, problems