RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #1

2019 Open Road

Getting ready to order my 32sa Open Road. If there is any advise that can be given please PM me. I promise it will be appreciated. Open to any and all suggestions.

Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #2

Get the 24k/30k chassis, Sumo springs, Travler pre-wire (skip the dome, and get a Travler installed), and everything else is “optional”. And we use the front overhead TV a lot more than we ever expected to......

We’ve really enjoyed our 31SA over the last 4 years and 32,000 miles; hope you enjoy your 32SA as much as we have our 31SA.

Regards

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

We have a 2015 32SA.

A few suggestions.

1) Go for the inverter upgrade. This may seem expensive, but it gets you a Automatic Generator Start(AGS) plus bigger better inverter that will power your microwave and be easier you your electronics. Another benefit is it will allow you to charge your batteries faster when running your generator.

2) agree with previous poster, go for the Travler pre-wire and skip the in motion. The in motion doesn't work with direct TV hd, and the Travler will get you better hd reception with dish.

3) L shaped sofa. We really like it, but half the people seem to hate it, so you have to figure out if you will like it.

4) we really like the table and chairs but that is an individual thing.

5) We love the fold down bed.

6) Front TV is kind of nice, allows you to watch tv from more angles.

7) go for upgraded solar pre-wire. (4 guage wires or maybe a pair of 6 guage wires) This is a "hidden option" and won't cost much and allows for as much future solar as you could want).

8) Go for the heat pump option on your AC, Front is normal option and rear is a "hidden option" Probably requires upgrade on Generator. but the head pump is really nice when plugged in so you can have nice electric heat.

9) Love our fire place,

10) counter top upgrade a must (you probably know this).

11 ) ceiling fan in bedroom.

Basically you want to get almost every option listed and some that are not. This will add some cost, but if you skimp you will likely regret it down the road.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
We have a 2015 32SA.

A few suggestions.

1) Go for the inverter upgrade. This may seem expensive, but it gets you a Automatic Generator Start(AGS) plus bigger better inverter that will power your microwave and be easier you your electronics. Another benefit is it will allow you to charge your batteries faster when running your generator.

2) agree with previous poster, go for the Travler pre-wire and skip the in motion. The in motion doesn't work with direct TV hd, and the Travler will get you better hd reception with dish.

3) L shaped sofa. We really like it, but half the people seem to hate it, so you have to figure out if you will like it.

7) go for upgraded solar pre-wire. (4 guage wires or maybe a pair of 6 guage wires) This is a "hidden option" and won't cost much and allows for as much future solar as you could want).

8) Go for the heat pump option on your AC, Front is normal option and rear is a "hidden option" Probably requires upgrade on Generator. but the head pump is really nice when plugged in so you can have nice electric heat.

9) Love our fire place,

Basically you want to get almost every option listed and some that are not. This will add some cost, but if you skimp you will likely regret it down the road.
I was going to come back and add some more thoughts, but they are covered above then some. My additional thoughts were:

Front Heat Pump

Rear Heat Pump (unlisted option you simply request when you order)

Fireplace - we weren’t, thought it was kind of silly, but love it; if you plan to camp in cooler weather, it’s a nice easy way to add a bit of heat and ambiance (no, I’m serious)

Ceiling fan in bedroom is a must for circulation

Countertop upgrade is nice, it will scratch like any Corian type product but since it a homogeneous material it looks fine (it would be impossible to keep it polished out)

We have L sofa, and it is a love / hate thing for us too......

We did the big genny but since we don’t boondock it’s not really needed, but nice to have “in case”.

The fancy inverter was not available when we ordered. I know some people get all wound up about Pure Sine wave, and extra power, but our Triplite works fine. I don’t think I want AGS....

Not sure what (or even if any) mattress options there are now; we changed our standard mattress out for a memory foam last year; the 31SA is a standard queen so it was easy other than not being too thick to fit under the cabinet lip when the slide is in.

When we decided to order our coach, some of the thought was that we would save money by not ordering stuff we didn’t want, in reality it was probably one of the most expensive 31SAs ever built . At some point, you say, “what’s another couple thousand bucks?” not to just add something / everything you may find out you want later (as noted above ).

Good luck!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #5

another congrats

ours is a 2018 32sa
i don't know what counter top upgrade is..
we did get the backsplash.
and recommend the
7000 kw gen
bedroom fan
fireplace - love it!
2000 inverter-
nav system, (but ours needs updating part of hwy 22 from b'ham doesn't show!!)
front heat pump (rear would probably be a good idea if you camp in the north)
progressive 50 ems and safety steer were dealer installed.
24k chassis (lot's of extra carrying capacity)
i like the front tv (may have been standard?)
the king bed was standard, but we went queen (no discount for queen!)

enjoy!
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #6

Quote:
We have a 2015 32SA.

A few suggestions.

Thank you for your input. I took my Traveler off of my old unit (@ years old) and they are going to wire for that. I have grandkids so i think I'm going with the booth for more seating

9) Love our fire place,

Thank you for your thoughts
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #7

We too have stealth options on our rig that is sitting in Belmont having just gone through tear down from the paint shop heading back to Red Bay soon for final inspections. Keep in mind we want the ability to boondock:

Solar prep with 4 gauge wire
4 batteries even though propane/electric fridge (w wooden inserts)
Prewire for Winegard ConnecT 2.0

Standard options for us:

24K chassis
Sumo suspension
7kw genny
15k a/c w heat pump in front
Solid surface upgrade. Makes a big difference at the dinette and bathroom.
Prewire for Traveler
2000 watt PSW inverter
Passenger seat footrest
Central vac
Dinette workstation
Fireplace
Bedroom ceiling fan

Think hard about how you believe you will use your rig. We have 15 years experience and love rustic settings and getting away from it all. Can probably count the number of times at a resort with full hookups on one hand in that 15 years.

Good luck! Dave
Old 03-20-2019, 01:12 AM   #8

Lots of great feedback here. Many of the items are personal preference. If you have unlimited funds then do all of them. We didn't so here are the items we ordered and glad we did. Ours is a 2019 and we purchased at Sherman RV. You get a much better price at the big 3.

1. We went with the heat pump in the front only. We didn't know you could get it in the back. It is well worth getting at least one. We can use it to warm the RV without burning propane.

2. Fireplace is a must. It puts out much more heat than you think. Once you get your coach up to the temp you like the fireplace can almost keep it there.

3. Ceiling fan in bedroom is nice. Not necessary, but we do use it a lot.

4. 2000 watt Magnum inverter is a good option. In our research we found a pure sine to be much better for the refrigerator. Less motor and electronic issues. I figure if it save me from replacing the fridge even once its bought itself.

5. We did not get the L-Sofa. We went back and forth and most folks say its not comfortable. If you plan to have company or more than 4 people then get it. If not, its probably not worth it. It's an expensive option. We like our regular sofa and bought an ottoman with storage that works great.

6. We got the Wineguard wifi extender. Probably wouldn't do it again. Campground wifi pretty much sucks no matter how you boost it.

7. We got the combo washer/dryer and not the separate units. Not sure that even an option for you.

8. Don't bother with the power drivers window. Expensive and just something else to break. The manual one works fine with no problems and the screen moves so you can pay tolls easily.

9. We got the dinette and love it. The booth is only good if you have more than 2 that travel often.

10. Upgraded surface is well worth the money. They will put solid surface on the dinner table and above the fireplace. It looks much nicer and is easy to clean.

11. If you get the residential fridge ask to have the door installed so it opens from the left side with hinges on the right side. We had this changed during the build.

Those are the main items. We were able to watch ours be built. Cannot do that anymore, but you can visit Red Bay and take the tour on your build days. You might get to see it a few times. We were able to fix a few issues during build that would have had to wait until our first service visit to Red Bay.

Congratulation. You will enjoy your Tiffin. If you make it to Red Bay ask to visit with Bob Tiffin. We did and he signed our cabinet door and took photos with us. Very nice man.
whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:13 AM   #9

just remember, when you get all these options you will have more to get repaired. also, skip the extended warranty's. i've never got my money out of one. for example extended warranty (wife) wanted ran out Feb 28th and couldn't get it to a shop to have dash a/c compressor replaced till last week. anyway think about what you get and realize rv's are continually needing a repair. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought used '16 32SA and are very pleased so far. As stated in other posts already, these decisions are personal preference and may not be your preference. Based on past experience with our previous coaches, the must NOT have list included the drop down bed and the front TV. We sort of wanted the dinette booth and straight sofa. We ended up with the table and chairs and L-shaped sofa. I'm OK with the table and chairs but really don't like the L-shaped sofa.

Do like: fireplace (thought it was cheesy but it really works!). Residential fridge!
Bedroom Ceiling Fan
Front Heat Pump (wish we had that in the rear A/C too)

I'm OK with the TrippLite standard inverter. works fine for everything it powers. On a new build I'd probably get the upgrade but I'm fine with the standard.
We do have the 7kw genset but no AGS. I had Autostart on a previous DP and never used it.

Be sure you're comfortable moving around on the forward side(left side facing the headboard) of the bed. It can be a bit tight (umm) for some folks. You may want to get inside one and try it out and see if the confined space there is worth the king bed size. If not, then maybe the 31SA would work for you.

The one we found had the driver side door. I would not get that as an option. It's too noisy and has a flimsy feel to it, and I'm sure that window actuator is going to fail sooner than later. I don't use it unless absolutely necessary. I'v not had any RV in the past 30 years with a driver door and never missed it.

As I said, personal preference...its what keeps things interesting. Good luck and whatever you get I'm sure you'll enjoy the Tiffin!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #11

I ordered most everything with the exception of the fireplace,ceiling fan and the pull down bunk.You get a larger up front TV and more cabinets without the bunk and a cabinet where the fireplace was. I dont have kids and if someone is along there is the fold out sofa.You have a choice in the bedroom of a king or queen memory foam. No charge for the king.
The Sumo Springs are a must in a coach this size and weight. My dealer also installed a steering stabilier and a rear track bar. I understand you can only order a 24KLBS Chassis on a 19. If it's an option when you order it ,do.The oven option is revised for 19 as is the cooktop and you also get a convection microwave. Another neat thing is once your Coach is scheduled you can call Tiffin and they will send you a build schedule to follow it along each day in the factory.I visited during assembly and wactched it for a couple of hours.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortMi View Post
The oven option is revised for 19 as is the cooktop and you also get a convection microwave.

Oh yeah...forgot the oven. Ours has it and we donít need it. We store bread and chips in there. We have the convection / microwave. Iíd rather have the storage space under the cooktop.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:33 AM   #13

Quote:
We have a 2015 32SA.

A few suggestions.

9) Love our fire place,

A few more things I forgot that some have mentioned that we have and really like.

12) micro convection oven.

13) 24k chassis (this is super important, otherwise you will no be able to carry much stuff without being over loaded.

14) central vac.

We also have the in dash nav, and that is kind of nice, not sure it is worth the $.

We don't have Sumo springs. Lots of people swear by the sumo strings and don't like the ride without it. I personally don't have a problem with the ride without them, but I may be in the minority on this.

We did install a safe-t-plus steering stabilizer which was well worth it , but is not a factory option.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:29 PM   #14

jargon check

Rockriver,
What are "progressive 50 ems and safety steer were dealer installed"?

I researched a lot and ordered most of the items mentioned previously in this thread with our new 32SA to be delivered in a couple of months. I didn't know about an option to upgrade the rear a/c unit to a heat pump and might have done so. I intentionally omitted the fireplace, thinking I would prefer the cabinet, and it should be a reasonably simple backfit using an aftermarket unit if we decide we want one later. Electric fireplaces on Amazon are much cheaper, but I can't vouch for their quality.

DaveFin is offline   Reply With Quote