Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2019, 04:52 AM   #1

2019 Phaeton Wheel Alignment

Recently purchased a new Phaeton. The steering wheel is positioned at one o'clock and when straight it wants to go left. If I let go of the steering wheel it pulls to the right. It never seems to want to hold position even for a short period of time. Is it possible a new freightliner needs wheel alignment? It's not a comfortable ride with this kind of steering.
Where would you recommend a good freightliner service location in the Chester NY area close to my storage facility. Any other's with the same issue and corrections made would be appreciated. The tires are set at 120psi and the weight with cargo is considerably low at this point. No scale weight yet. Thanks
Dave P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
tiffin will pay for one alignment to a new coach.call them up and let them know and take it to a freightliner to get the alignment and ride heights set.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:59 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You need a couple of things - get the motorhome weighed and get the tire pressures down to the proper level. Your ride will get a whole lot more comfortable when the tires are inflated to the proper pressure for your weight.

You need a truck alignment shop for the rest of it. Generally they are located in and around major truck stops. You might want to call Freightliner and ask the local shop if they do alignments or can recommend someone.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All wheel alignment.
4 wheel weights.
Ride height adjusted.
Tire pressures per weight.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:12 AM   #5

Cat Scale

I contacted Tiffin and to start, I am going to weigh the motorhome on a Cat Scale to get the weight so I could adjust the tire pressure. The 120psi feels like a cement truck.
I spoke to the employee at the Pilot in Mahwah, NJ and was told I could do front and rear axle weight, and if there is room, I could weigh the left side then the right side placing the tires on separate scales. There is enough room to drive up one side at a time to get individual tire weights. Would this be the same results as the portable scale under each tire? Just asking to be sure. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat Scale-Pilot Mahwah, NJ.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	247946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilot-Mahwah, NJ Cat Scale.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	247947  

Old 05-31-2019, 05:48 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Please post what your 4 corner weights are if you can do that. I have only been able to do axle weights. We have the same model, only 4 years older. I,m running 115 on the fronts and 105 on the rear. I feel this gives me the safety buffer and rides well. This is at full fuel and water and stuff for our normal 3 months south. Total weight of just shy of 33K.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:18 AM   #7

I'm in North Jersey & you might want to consider a trip over to Campbell Supply in Lafayette. It's a wonderful shop for chassis/engine/genny maintence & repair but alignments are limited to toe in/out, which might be all you need. Joe NAILED my steering & wandering problem. They used to be called G&G Diesel, and don't have any attitude towards RVers.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
I'm in North Jersey & you might want to consider a trip over to Campbell Supply in Lafayette. It's a wonderful shop for chassis/engine/genny maintence & repair but alignments are limited to toe in/out, which might be all you need. Joe NAILED my steering & wandering problem. They used to be called G&G Diesel, and don't have any attitude towards RVers.

Thanks I saw that place during my search.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Props2 View Post
Please post what your 4 corner weights are if you can do that. I have only been able to do axle weights. We have the same model, only 4 years older. I,m running 115 on the fronts and 105 on the rear. I feel this gives me the safety buffer and rides well. This is at full fuel and water and stuff for our normal 3 months south. Total weight of just shy of 33K.

Will do. I probably will do this sometime tomorrow afternoon. Either way I will advise. I have a full tank of water and fuel with cargo that won’t change. Only missing wife two kids and an 8lb dog along with food and clothes.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:44 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We own a trucking company and it is not unusual for a new truck to need an alignment right away. If you have a Goodyear commercial tire center (Called Wingfoot) near you they can do alignment. You don't necessarily have to go to freightliner dealer, many don't do alignments anyway. Hope this helps
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC1 View Post
We own a trucking company and it is not unusual for a new truck to need an alignment right away. If you have a Goodyear commercial tire center (Called Wingfoot) near you they can do alignment. You don't necessarily have to go to freightliner dealer, many don't do alignments anyway. Hope this helps

Thanks
Old 06-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P. View Post
Thanks
We have a 2019 40QKH and it did the same thing. Steering wheel was at 12:00 going straight and when you let it go it would go to 1:00 and stop there and vehicle veer to right. It seemed like when they do the original alignment they set the wheel straight without the steering box not being centered. My dealer in FT. Myers aligned it and it tracks straight with wheel at 12:00. They covered it under warranty as it was a new coach and I found the issue during an inspection before delivery.
Good luck and enjoy your new coach. I recommend adding the Safe-T-Plus.
jkroboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #13

Cat Scale had a cone in front of it today. Employee reported it needs to be serviced. Drove there for nothing. I will try again on Friday, June 14. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Props2 View Post
Full weight front and rear axle
Steer axle 12960
Drive axle 20980
Gross weight 33940

Left side front and rear
Left Front 6500
Left Rear 10380

Right side front and rear
Right Front 6580
Right rear 10440

Tags