RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #1

2020 Wayfarer 25RW

We're taking delivery of a 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW on 4/23/19. Downsizing from 40' DP. While unloading the DP and the towbar, I remembered that I didn't ask about a toad.

Is that rig capable of towing a 2014 Honda CRV?

UPDATE : Spoke with the dealer and they said yes.

KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #2

Congratulations, Jerry and Susie.

We have a 2020 RW on order, likely will get it by the end of May or beginning of June. Would be real interested in hearing from you on your first impressions after you get it. Don't forget this forum and share with us your experiences.

The Wayfarer is rated to tow 4200 pounds, but be careful not ot exceed GVWR and GCWR. You should be more than fine with the CRV. Also would be interesting to hear how you find the RW and able to adjust with less space versus your 40 footer. We had a 40 footer many years ago when we full timed, so at first thought the Wayfarer was way too small, but upon second look, thought abut it more seriously. Main advantage for us, is smaller and easier to drive, and my wife will drive it, a big plus for us. We started to think in terms of less space and carrying capacity and thought about where we woule put what we really needed and leave out extras that are not really needed. So your input coming from a larger coach would be greatly appreciated. Happy travels.

Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #3

I'm sorry to say that we cancelled the deal. I love everything about the Wayfarer RW except the cargo capacity. The cargo capacity of 672 pounds just isn't adequate for our needs. A full tank of water in the RW is 317 pounds. Our combined occupant weight is 325 pounds. That leaves 30 pounds for food, clothing, and everything else. I don't see how anyone can make that work out.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The low OCCC of the Wayfarer has been Tiffin's problem since day one. I'm glad you discovered that before you completed the purchase. Other manufacturer's do a much better job of building light on the Sprinter chassis. Take a look at the Winnebago View/Navion and the new Vito/Porto models for some examples on how to build successfully on the Sprinter chassis.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #5

I am shopping for my first RV and am very interested in the Tiffin Wayfarer, except for the CCC problem and the fridge.

Can anyone comment on how the low CCC affects you, if at all?

And looking for comments on the fridge. As I understand it, this is not a compression fridge and does not function with alternate sources of power, as with the Winnebago View fridge.

Thanks!
kenyaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyaloo View Post
I am shopping for my first RV and am very interested in the Tiffin Wayfarer, except for the CCC problem and the fridge.

Can anyone comment on how the low CCC affects you, if at all?

And looking for comments on the fridge. As I understand it, this is not a compression fridge and does not function with alternate sources of power, as with the Winnebago View fridge.

Thanks!
One day someone will have to check the IP addresses of all the Tiffin OCCC posts and see how many come from Indiana.

I have a 2018 Tiffin Wayfarer 24BW, which appears to be the heaviest of the lot. I haven't had weight issues as I don't pack my rig with tons of stuff. I've also trimmed weight by upgrading to lithium batteries, which have lots of other upsides.

Can you find a competing Sprinter-based rig with higher OCCC? Sure. Can you also find a rig with much lower build quality under the auspice of reduced weight? Yep. I just watched a video on YouTube a couple of days ago where Creativity RV got sick and tired with warranty repair quality issues with her Unity and upgraded to a Tiffin. She then proceeded to hunker down in her new Tiifin Wayferer during the recent snow cyclone with 80 MPH+ winds hitting the rig. My local dealer parks his Class Cs next to each other and the construction and build quality differences are so apparent the Wayfarers almost sell themselves. Lastly, I watched my rig get built at the factory for 3 days and checked out the competing rigs they rolled in next to their production line to give to their employees a looksee and good laugh.

As for the fridge mine works on 12V DC, 110V AC, and propane. It automatically switches as needed.

I'm glad I bought the Wayfarer and would highly recommend it. I recommend touring the model with the floor plan you like and competitors while taking notes and photos of materials used, construction methods, fit and finish. Also check out the slides and imagine all the leaks you won't have and the caulking you won't have to do with Tiffin's seemless slides.

Best,
-Mark
Old 04-22-2019, 07:14 AM   #7

Thanks Mark!

By the way, we are in B.C., Canada and Portland isn't too far away. The Wayfarer is not available in Canada so we'll have to come south to even test drive one. Can you recommend your dealer please?
Old 04-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #8

You should consider a Leisure Travel Van Unity, https://leisurevans.com/unity/, high quality, great outside storage and much higher OCC than a Tiffin. They are made in Canada and there is a dealer in Langley, BC, Traveland RV Supercentre. I've had my Unity for 5 years and love it.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I know that Mark loves his low OCCC Wayfarer but I rejected the Wayfarer for the simple reason that it is unusable to anyone that wants to do some serious travelling - and I am a former Tiffin owner (Phaeton and Allegro).

Our Navion has proven to be better engineered and finished than the Wayfarer while still retaining a practical OCCC. Why? Winnebago has been building on the Sprinter chassis for over 10 years and knows how to build light without building cheap. They also build more than half of the Sprinter based motorhomes.

Not sure what Mark's Indiana quip has to do with anything. Winnebagos are built in Iowa but, like a lot of RVs, the rest are built in Indiana.

And refrigerators? Winnebago has gone with a compressor type frig across the range. There were a few hiccups we these in the first year but the brand has been changed and they are apparently working well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Mark!

By the way, we are in B.C., Canada and Portland isn't too far away. The Wayfarer is not available in Canada so we'll have to come south to even test drive one. Can you recommend your dealer please?
Ordered mine through B. Young RV in PDX. Be sure to check out Creativity RV's YouTube posts on her quality issues before she recently upgraded to the Wayfarer. I took a 2,142 round trip over several steep grade west coast mountain passes towing a toad last summer with no issues. At the end of the day you need to pick what rig is best for you. Have fun in your search, good luck and enjoy!

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #11

thanks for your response.
did you have any quality problems with the unity?
anything you don't like about it?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I was referring to a full-time RVer who has a channel on YouTube. Her account is called Creativity RV. She had posted some videos about her Unity, quality and warranty experiences, and her recent trade-in for a Tiffin Wayfarer. Get what's best for you.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #13

Quote:
No and no. I've had my Unity Murphy Bed model for 5 years and love love love it. Like any RVs there is stuff that is going to break but with Unity the 2 year warranty that Leisure Travel Van provides gives you plenty of time to work the bugs out and Leisure will pay a Leisure dealer service center or reimburse you, if you take it anywhere else, for anything that needs repair/replacement in that 2 year time frames. They will also reimburse you for the parts if you want to do the repairs yourself. I don't know of any other Sprinter RV manufacturer that gives a 2 year warranty. The Mercedes Chassis has a 4 year 48,000 mile warranty so you can take it to any Mercedes Sprinter or Freightliner service center for repairs or maintenance. In 5 years I only had 2 Mercedes issues and they were taken care of under warranty. You really can't go wrong with a Le8sure and they hold the resale value better than any others. Check out this site to learn more, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=193.
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
No and no. I've had my Unity Murphy Bed model for 5 years and love love love it. Like any RVs there is stuff that is going to break but with Unity the 2 year warranty that Leisure Travel Van provides gives you plenty of time to work the bugs out and Leisure will pay a Leisure dealer service center or reimburse you, if you take it anywhere else, for anything that needs repair/replacement in that 2 year time frames. They will also reimburse you for the parts if you want to do the repairs yourself. I don't know of any other Sprinter RV manufacturer that gives a 2 year warranty. The Mercedes Chassis has a 4 year 48,000 mile warranty so you can take it to any Mercedes Sprinter or Freightliner service center for repairs or maintenance. In 5 years I only had 2 Mercedes issues and they were taken care of under warranty. You really can't go wrong with a Le8sure and they hold the resale value better than any others. Check out this site to learn more, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=193.
hi ss,
thanks for your comments.
we are, in fact, very seriously considering the Unity.
i am looking for advice about making an offer on one.
might you be up for discussing this?