RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2019, 02:57 PM   #1

33LA and a big rig 2020?

unconfirmed

while visiting red bay, an associate saw a coach he thought was mislabeled..
thinking it was a 33aa and not a 33LA
gossip... smaller, lighter weight diesel maybe 340 hp, limited options. price below the other reds. filling gap in price between the reds and gassers...

and ..
a big ole rig.. with tandem axle.. unfinished but words "new 2020" on rear.
associate suggesting change in rear cap... he (me too) is techno challenged and doesn't know how to get picture of his phone to post!

rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #2

a little more gossip 33la

from non factory person:

this will be a bay.. based on old rumor... i was first told a RED series.

a/c return will be a central unit (like my old c ) not a series of returns down one side of the interior

someone had an upholstery sample book, of a new coach that was to be sold in 19, but never showed up...

trans will be a 2500

one interior color but 5? exterior colors..

pricing is not "set" yet... and if not by fmca rally, then 33la probably won't be shown...

for someone with a gas unit, and curious about diesels, and only a few dollars to spend, this young fellow was real curious about this new possibility.
then again, bay diesel aligned my front end this week, and my 32sa, now drives a whole lot better! yahoo!

Old 03-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
KJR

The problem with the 340/2500 chassis is the GCWR and GVWR are only 1600lbs from each other. A toad of 4500lbs like a Jeep would eat up 2900lbs of carrying capacity. OK if you tow a lighter car.

We were interested in a Newmar Ventan Le 3426 until I looked into the weight numbers.

For us a diesel with the 360/300 or a gas is the better option. The only small diesel is the Red 33 with the 360.

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
The problem with the 340/2500 chassis is the GCWR and GVWR are only 1600lbs from each other. A toad of 4500lbs like a Jeep would eat up 2900lbs of carrying capacity. OK if you tow a lighter car.

We were interested in a Newmar Ventan Le 3426 until I looked into the weight numbers.

For us a diesel with the 360/300 or a gas is the better option. The only small diesel is the Red 33 with the 360.

KJR
Hello!! I would not worry much about the 340/2500, I have a 2015 Allegro Red 38 QRA it's almost 39 feet long and I tow a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk that weighs in at around 4100 pounds and so far after traveling the whole country we have had no issues anywhere we have been I'm sure that this new model that is much shorter then what we have should be a good match, also the fuel mileage that I'm currently getting is about 9 miles to the gallon towing the Jeep with all tanks full and the basement full to the brim!!! Take Care
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
KJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandcanyon View Post
Hello!! I would not worry much about the 340/2500, I have a 2015 Allegro Red 38 QRA it's almost 39 feet long and I tow a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk that weighs in at around 4100 pounds and so far after traveling the whole country we have had no issues anywhere we have been I'm sure that this new model that is much shorter then what we have should be a good match, also the fuel mileage that I'm currently getting is about 9 miles to the gallon towing the Jeep with all tanks full and the basement full to the brim!!! Take Care
Thatís encouraging. Have you performed extra maintenance on the Allison 2500 transmission, e.g. more frequent transmission oil changes?

What does your carrying capacity label show subtracting the UVW and propane from the GVWR?

Have you weighed your coach with all tanks full and full basement as you described and compared to the GVWR, GCWR, and axle rating label figures found in your coach? Could you post them? Iíve looked at some Reds like yours and figured the weights didnít work as we intend on towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door).

As a first time prospective motorhome buyer (gas or diesel) Iím looking closely at the weight labels.

Thanks

KJR
Old 03-07-2019, 01:29 AM   #6

Hello Again!

No! I have not weighed the coach, I can tell you that is not the fastest going up hill, but it will get you there!! I live in Arizona where the summer temps are above 105'F for most of the time and I can tell you that I have not had an issue with the engine, transmission, or really nothing engine wise THANK GOD. Currently I have 38,000 miles on my rig and the only thing I had to do to the transmission is the 3 year service that was done in 2018. I keep my tire at 100 PSI at all times. I can also tell you that at least with the diesel you will not even know that you are towing anything behind you!! I really love my rig!!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #7

on a breeze topic over at trvn... someone pointed out this link... look at the specs... sounds like the 33al mentioned is similar to the 33la we saw.
https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/class-a/allegro-breeze

doesn't sound like a breeze...
but ... listed as a red 340 in the breeze portion of the web site??
you may want to read the specs..
intersting.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #8

the new 340 is now on tiffins website. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #9

i've obtained a price list for the new tiffin diesel but unable to post it..
tech limited individual..
if a tech smart person will send me an email i'll relay the price list and a msrp on current coach to them if they will post it...
Old 03-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #10
KJR

Where does one get service on a Powerglide chassis vs a Freightliner chassis.

Looked at the specs on the Tiffin website and the specs are promising. You can tow a Jeep without eating up carrying capacity.

The Truma water heater is a plus. I have one retrofitted in my Airstream trailer.

Checked the 3D view. I like the kitchen better than a Red 33. Still wish Tiffin would use an articulated stove top cover.

The roof air looks like a basic ducted system so it might be noisier than a Breeze or Red.

KJR
Old 03-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #11

340 la video