RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
34 TGA Inverter

Ok I am at a loss for understanding, just what does the inverter on our coach do?
We have a switch above the passenger seat next to the slide controls, inverter off/ on, some say just charging coach batteries ?
Help?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it was installed by the manufacturer it most likely does both charge your batteries and invert 12 VDC up to 120 VAC. When not connected to shore power or running the generator the inverter draws from your battery bank to produce 120 V. When connected to shore power or running the generator the power passes through the internal transfer switch to power the plugs that are connected to the inverter and charge your batteries. Depending on the size 1000, 2000, 4000 watts how many 120 V plugs will be powered by it. It will at least power your TV's. To test what plugs are connected to the inverter disconnect the shore power and test all plugs to see what one's are connected to it.

Chuck

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS View Post
Ok I am at a loss for understanding, just what does the inverter on our coach do?
We have a switch above the passenger seat next to the slide controls, inverter off/ on, some say just charging coach batteries ?
Help?

Your Inverter does two things. It is a battery charger and charges your batteries whenever you are connected to shore power or if your generator is running. Secondly, it 'inverts' 12volts DC from your battery bank into 120VAC which it provides to a few selected outlets in your coach. The Inverter in your motorhome only runs your entertainment system and TV sets.... nothing else. It is a TrippLite 750 watt unit. The switch above your passenger side seat turns the Invert function on or off. If you leave it on when not in use there is a small but significant current drain from your batteries. Not a problem if you are on shore power or generator power but if you are dry camping you want to turn that switch off when not using the entertainment system.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks we have been on the road for over one year and have never even tried this out, amazing. I have not checked it as of now I am on shore but later today I will give it a shot
Old 10-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_G View Post
Your Inverter does two things. It is a battery charger and charges your batteries whenever you are connected to shore power or if your generator is running. Secondly, it 'inverts' 12volts DC from your battery bank into 120VAC which it provides to a few selected outlets in your coach. The Inverter in your motorhome only runs your entertainment system and TV sets.... nothing else. It is a TrippLite 750 watt unit. The switch above your passenger side seat turns the Invert function on or off. If you leave it on when not in use there is a small but significant current drain from your batteries. Not a problem if you are on shore power or generator power but if you are dry camping you want to turn that switch off when not using the entertainment system.
me

Partially correct!
Some inverters, however, do 3 things.
1.) Charge the house batteries whenever you are connected to shore power, (or if the generator is running).
2.) Invert 12VDC from your battery bank, (in my coach, not a Tiffin, to power 2 ceiling light fixtures, 1 built in table lamp, 5 wall sconces, and 12 duplex receptacles, (including the over-the-range microwave/convection oven receptacle).
3.) Convert 120VAC shore and genset power to 12VDC.... (on my coach for the operation of the LP fridge, LP furnace and LP water heater as well a 10 interior, and 3 exterior, 12VDC lights), when connected to shore or genset power).
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, 35'
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
me

Partially correct!
Some inverters, however, do 3 things.
1.) Charge the house batteries whenever you are connected to shore power, (or if the generator is running).
2.) Invert 12VDC from your battery bank, (in my coach, not a Tiffin, to power 2 ceiling light fixtures, 1 built in table lamp, 5 wall sconces, and 12 duplex receptacles, including the over the range microwave/convection oven receptacle).
3.) Convert 120VAC shore and genset power to 12VDC.... (on my coach for the operation of the LP fridge, LP furnace and LP water heater as well a 10 interior, and 3 exterior, 12VDC lights, when connected to shore or genset power
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, 35'
Well actually, I am 100% correct. The original poster has the same model year coach as mine, the TrippLite RV750 charger/inverter and it does exactly what I said it does, and no more. There is no provision in the Tripplite documentation or specifications for operating this unit as a 12VDC power supply without batteries . In fact, due to the limited nature of the 12VDC output used for charging the batteries it is likely that the unit would either not work at all, or possibly cause damage to your electronics were the battery to be out of the circuit. I cannot imagine why anyone in a modern motor home would operate a charger without the batteries anyway.

Since your Safari is a 95, it may be that your charger is also capable of operating as a power supply without batteries, but this thread's question pertains to a 2013 Allegro 34TGA.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_G View Post
Well actually, I am 100% correct. The original poster has the same model year coach as mine, the TrippLite RV750 charger/inverter and it does exactly what I said it does, and no more. There is no provision in the Tripplite documentation or specifications for operating this unit as a 12VDC power supply without batteries . In fact, due to the limited nature of the 12VDC output used for charging the batteries it is likely that the unit would either not work at all, or possibly cause damage to your electronics were the battery to be out of the circuit. I cannot imagine why anyone in a modern motor home would operate a charger without the batteries anyway.

Since your Safari is a 95, it may be that your charger is also capable of operating as a power supply without batteries, but this thread's question pertains to a 2013 Allegro 34TGA.
Ed_G
I should have said:
I don't doubt that you are are correct about the TrippLite RV750 charger/inverter, but some coaches have inverter/charger/converters.
Sorry.

(After re-reading my post I see that I did say "some coaches"... I now realize I should NOT have said "Partially correct").
I AM sorry about that.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Ed_G
I should have said:
I don't doubt that you are are correct about the TrippLite RV750 charger/inverter, but some coaches have inverter/charger/converters.
Sorry.

(After re-reading my post I see that I did say "some coaches"... I now realize I should NOT have said "Partially correct").
I AM sorry about that.

Mel
'96 Safari
You are forgiven! I meant no insult to your comments, but I did not want the original poster to expect something from his system that he does not have.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #9

What about the alternator charging the house batteries.
bbprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #10

Yes, when you are driving down the road, your engine alternator will charge the house batteries also. It will not likely start charging the batteries until you have been running for a short bit and the engine's own battery has been fully charged up.

That's the way my 2013 34TGA works.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbprod View Post
What about the alternator charging the house batteries.
bbprod
I don't understand that statement, (or is it a question)?
Can you explain what it means?
Thanks
Mel
Old 10-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #12

Inverter

The inverter switch will shut off the TV's and Surround Sound/Blu-ray Disc System when on house battery power. The bigger problem is with the way Tiffin wired the 12V Battery Disconnect Switch. Tiffin states in the owners manual " This switch also disconnects ALL of the 12VDC circuitry from those batteries, with the exception of the LP detector.
The fact is that it Does disconnect the LP Detector but leaves the inverter connected. Not a problem if you park the RV for a week or two unless the RV is parked in the sun and the compartment where the inverter lives gets hot and then the inverter cooling fan switches on and your house batteries are sucked flat and you need a commercial battery charger to revive them.
You can minimize the inverter parasitic draw by switching the Tripp-Lite inverters Operating Mode Switch to "DC OFF". No mention of this the owners manual.
2013 34 TGA owner.

Oliver220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter