RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 05:20 AM   #1

34TGA Battery removal - how to

Newbe first time winterizing. I went to remove the house batteries on our 2015 34TGA. I removed the top step and disconnected the cables only to find the battery was to large to lift out through the opening. There is maybe 1/4-3/8" clearance between the ends of the battery and the box side and the top flange overhangs a good 3/4". I tried twisting, tilting, flipping on its side and no angle was successful. I was looking for fasteners to remove the from the front of the step and get access but could not see any which did not appear permanent.

Lastly why is there not a disconnect switch for the batteries like on my boat. There was some current when I pulled the negative which surprised me. I am guessing the A/V gear was still powered up.

Thanks in advance.

nowalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowalnuts View Post
Newbe first time winterizing. I went to remove the house batteries on our 2015 34TGA....
Hi John and Sharan,

It may not be necessary to remove the battery. Do you have AC power or PV solar power? If so, you leave the battery in the RV and make sure all loads are disconnected. A battery disconnect switch is standard equipment on your Tiffin.

Another option if you have neither of the above is to purchase a small PV solar module and connect it to the house battery.

If you do remove the battery, be sure to keep it fully charged while in storage.

Larry

I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Battery Cut Off Open Road

John, I can't help with thoughts on removal as my Open Road has just two batteries, where yours may have four as I remember. And there is no 12 volt cutoff switch for the battery bank. Don't know why, but most do not on the Open Roads.

I installed one, leave the batteries in, and disconnect with the switch during any storage as there is some current still flowing with just the 12 volt "master" switch by the door off. A number of things are directly wired to the battery bank. Here is what I did... http://bit.ly/12vcutoff
Calliedo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Call Tiffin Service and ask them how to remove the batteries. We had an older Open Road and it was pretty simple - pull off the step cover and lift (ugh!) them out.

Your residual drain on the batteries is your inverter. That needs to be shut off along with your 12V switch. If you do decided to install a battery cutoff switch you can mount it in an easier location to get to and cable to that location.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
He got his answer on how to remove the batteries from the Tiffin RV Network. After you remove the step cover you can remove the vertical partition which allows access to the bolts holding the top rail of the battery box, remove the top rail and the batteries will slide out.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #6

Jon,
Yes I got a solution from another board and also from tiffin. I did not see the screws they described but then I did not remove the step facia yet. I will post some pics when done.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #7

Wish ether plug in or PV were and option. But the barn is dark and without power connections.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #8

John, I am still trying to fiqure out how to remove batteries from my 15 OR TGA. Same model as yours. Please help and let me know how you did it.

Tom
York
our15allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:21 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by our15allegro View Post
John, I am still trying to fiqure out how to remove batteries from my 15 OR TGA. Same model as yours. Please help and let me know how you did it.

Tom
York
Tom,
I believe the answer was that after you remove the cover/step the front of the step can be removed and you will see some screws holding the battery compartment frame together. Remove the screws and the frame and the batteries will slide out.

If you check the Tiffin RV Network and do a search you will find the whole answer.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #10

Tom, The difficulty is in locating all the screws which secure the steel flange surrounding the opening in the top of the step. This flange must be removed to get the battery's out. There are four screws holding this in place. The two in the back of the step are easy to see and get to. The two on the front of the flange are impossible to see unless you really stick your head down in and look for them. Even after removing these screws my flange was tough to get out due to black silicone sealer which had been installed at numerous points. I had to scrape some of that off to finally get the flange to lift out. After that it still was a tight fit to get the batterys lifted out but they did come. I am considering trying to mount the batts front/rear rather than side to side. Some other owners have theirs installed this way which allows for easier removal without having to take the flange off.
There was lots of help and pics following my post on the Tiffin forum below. PM me if you need further help. I am in Harrisburg so not to far from you.
A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork ‚ÄĘ Login
Old 01-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #11

John, Thank you. I will get to it this week hopefully. Will let you know how I make out.

Tom

our15allegro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, removal