Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
36LA questions

I had planned on ordering ours in March, I noticed a few things that has me bothered a little. Im not saying a deal breaker, but would like to hear from other owners. First, just figured out there is no pantry, bummer. It says that the inverter only runs the TV and surround sound, thats silly, I mean why put an inverter in anyway if that all it will work. What type of holding tank monitor does tiffen use, the neat kind like winnebago or the type that quits working after a few years. This is info I got fom the brochure
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #2

On the Tiffin lower end coaches, they use the traditional ones that gunk up and quit working before too long. Their higher end Buses and Zephyrs use the SeeLevel monitors. I retrofitted an 08 Bus with the SeeLevel system and have been pleased. Since they are already using SeeLevel systems a call to the sales office should tell you if they can retrofit a coach you're looking at, or if you can special order it the way you want. After January 2 call the sales office at 256-356-8661 and check. They should also be able to give you more info about the electrical system. If they cannot, ask to speak to their electrical engineer and she'll definitely be able to help you. A lot of really sharp engineers in the place and a great help when you want something special. We just had the design of a 43' Bus modified, and went down to watch it being built and painted. We take delivery in about 2 weeks. Don't miss that experience if you can possibly help it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #3

There is a small pantry above the Midship TV. More than enough for the two of us. There seems to be ample other storage for kitchen items as well. Don't know what kind of tank monitors tiffin uses. We haven't had the need (so far) to have more than the TV, saround sound, etc on the inverter.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks for the info.
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #5

Why would you want tank monitors that work? That would leave you out of most RV discussions around the campfire. The tanks need to be maintained no matter what system you have (of course I have never owed a Prevost). You will learn how long your tanks last as you use the rig. Our 50 gal black is good for more than a week. We can get 4 days out of the 50 gal grey.
The size of the battery bank determines how the inverter is configured. My bank of 4 Interstates will go 3 to 4 hours before needing another source of power. The inverter runs everything but in actuality the only major appliance that runs properly is the refrigerator. The TV works of course.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
I had planned on ordering ours in March, I noticed a few things that has me bothered a little. Im not saying a deal breaker, but would like to hear from other owners. First, just figured out there is no pantry, bummer. It says that the inverter only runs the TV and surround sound, thats silly, I mean why put an inverter in anyway if that all it will work. What type of holding tank monitor does tiffen use, the neat kind like winnebago or the type that quits working after a few years. This is info I got fom the brochure
We are quite pleased with our 36LA. Considering we ended up with a full size refrig, DW lives without a pantry. She uses the small cabinet to the right of the sink and the cabinets under the table to make up for the lack of space. Remember this is a 36ft unit and there is only so much you can put in that space. Monitoring system has not been an issue. The sensors on the fresh water that I see are mounted on the outside of the tank and do not have anything that goes into the actual tank. Inverter, well if I need 110, I simply run the generator.

Happy Holidays
Melvin & Linda
melving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #7

36LA sofa replacment

We are going to pick up our new 36LA next Monday. I want to take the L sofa out and put recliners in. I hope to get some information from the dealership, but I am concerned about selling the sofa. I am not sure how much to sell it for. I am in a big city right now, so I want to take the opportunity to sell it here. Has anyone done this?

Also, has anyone used the direct tv system? I am concerned about where the boxes go? It doesn't look like you can put one in the living room above the TV, or even the bedroom?

Any other tips or suggest about this coach is greatly appreciated.
Ewings2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #8

The maintenance supervisor that showed us the various parts of the 36LA installed our Dish receiver in a cabinet in the bedroom where the CD sound system is located. It goes behind the bedroom tv.

John Gilchrist
Houston
jgilchrist80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #9

As I recall there was also a note in the instruction/installation manuals that the satellite system that comes with the unit will NOT work with Direct TV.

John Gilchrist
Houston
2013 36LA
jgilchrist80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilchrist80 View Post
As I recall there was also a note in the instruction/installation manuals that the satellite system that comes with the unit will NOT work with Direct TV.
If you have the dome antenna, you will not get HD from DirecTV. SD will work fine. The only way to get HD TV with be your OTA antenna or if you choose to go with a Winegard Trav'lr dish.

If you choose to go with Dish, you will have to climb up on the roof to change the DIP switches on the dome to pick up the correct satellites. You'll be able to get HD TV on at least one of the TV's.

An alternate way to go is install the Winegard Trav'lr for Dish and use the Hopper/Joey system. Although not sanctioned by DISH, both TVs will get HD signals from the satellites (all three) and you get a DVR to boot.

While you can do the same thing with DirecTV, you have more options with Dish as you could use two separate 211 receivers and convert them to DVRs for a one time fee of $40 ea and a hard drive. This is entirely doable with the Trav'lr but a bit more complicated with the dome as one receiver controls the access to which satellite is being tuned. Not a problem if your shows are all on the same satellite.

Your AV cabinet in the bedroom contains all of the connections you need. You have both component and HDMI running to the main TV and coax connections from the OTA antenna, main satellite, and second satellite/outside satellite (controlled by A/B switch in cabinet above the driver).

You might want to join the Tiffin RV Network (tiffinrvnetwork.com) and get Tiffin specific help.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilchrist80 View Post

John Gilchrist
Houston
2013 36LA
John, the inmontion satellite works with either service. It's a dip switch setting that can be changed. Very simple to do. Ours came with instructions and when I pulled the cover off the same instructions were marked on the controller. Factory default on ours was Direct TV. I went with Dish Network for two reasons, no contract and HD.
melving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #12

Thanks everyone. I will take this info and use it when I talk to the dealership. I guess no one had any suggestions of the sofa and putting in chairs? Anything else you might want to share about the 36LA?
Ewings2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
KJB

I plan to order a 36LA and I watch comments from current owners with much interest. I am not in a hurry so I plan to wait till Tiffin accepts orders for the 2014 models which I’ve been told might be as soon as May of this year. I would really love to see Tiffin offer double paned windows and an exterior entertainment center in the 2014 36LA. Probably won’t happen but I would be real disappointed if I ordered a 2013 and later saw one or both of those features available on the 2014 model. The Newmar Canyon Star 3610 which has an almost identical floorplan to the 36LA does offer these options.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #14

KJB. Have you checked with the factory sales office? 256-356-8661 and push for sales. They want to sell you a rig, but they also DON'T want a dissatisfied customer. Also, they will work with you to put in what you want as long as they know you're serious. We just had a 43' bus made with fairly extensive mods, and the engineering staff was just super working to get things the way we wanted. We were at the plant for 2 weeks watching it being built and highly recommend the experience. We're scheduled to take delivery in about 12 days.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote