Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2017, 05:57 AM   #1

36UA experiences?

First I would like to say how much I appreciate this forum and the level of knowledge here. Nothing better than having the opportunity to hear first hand owner experiences.

We have been shopping several months for a Class A bunkhouse model. In looking at all the options, I am convinced the Tiffin Allegro's are the best value for the money. I am fortunate to be located a couple hours drive to Red Bay (we took the tour) and have been getting quotes from the three dealers that seem to provide aggressive pricing on ordering (Ingram, Sherman, Davis). Pricing on ordering a new 2018 is better that what I have found on leftover 2017's on the lot and even most low mileage private units for sale. I would love to have a DP but just not within my budget to get the same amenities you get with the 36UA.

That being said, I was hoping to get some 36UA owner experiences on their coach and have a few specific questions.

1. Being the largest coach in the Tiffin gas line, I am somewhat concerned over the ability of the V10 to adequately provide power. I have driven the 36UA and the smaller units but the longer wheelbase provides a much better ride and to get the king bed, bunks and 1/2 bath, that is where you are. We will occasionally tow a small enclosed trailer with a motorcycle or a CR-V. I have reasonable expectations, but what is your first hand opinion of the power? I have been advised by all salespeople to order the 26K chassis upgrade.

2. We love the floor plan, particularly the direct line viewing of the TV from the sofa (we have been surprised at how many floor plans have the TV off to the side). The only negative we have seen is the tight quarters when the slides are closed. You can access the 1/2 bath. The full wall slide is amazing at how much it opens up the coach. Are we missing any negatives to consider?

3. They do not provide TV's in the bunk area, but do have an electrical plug in the wall on each bunk. I plan to purchase two 19" tv/dvd units to mount on that wall. Appears to be a single stud in the center. The central electronics are on the opposite side of that wall in the Master, so should not be too hard to provide cable to each bunk. Anyone worked that issue?

4. We plan to not order the oven in order to get the extra storage. Just the convection microwave. Are you happy with its performance?

5. We plan to not order the drop down bunk. Really don't need it for sleeping and your lose a lot of headroom and storage in the cab.

6. We are considering at least a one color paint change on the exterior paint scheme. Can be done at Red Bay during the build for a reasonable price. A little concerned over potential delays or quality issues by doing this. Anyone have experience with custom paint changes?

I feel like I have done my homework but realize we need to have reasonable expectations related to build quality, and at a minimum, small things will happen and need to be addressed. We are really excited to start the RVing experience.

Thanks so much for your time and advice.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

Have read on other sites that as long as it is an existing Tiffin color, the paint change is about $300-$500. No delay or issues in making the change. Your sales rep should be able to get you the specifics.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It might be worth asking Tiffin to wire coax or HDMI to each bunk so you will have that option for TV also.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin used to offer optional bunk TVs (flip down LCD TVs for the bunk area). Ask if those are still available or, if you could find a source, would Tiffin install them for you during the build. You color substitution may be a bit more than you anticipate. The last number I heard was more like $3000 but you need to have your dealer ask. The microwave/convection oven works very well. The gas oven (very, very poor and dated design/construction) is best not installed.

BTW, the V10 has plenty of power to get you down the road even with what you propose to tow. Learn to use the Ford Tow/Haul mode to go up and down mountains and you will do fine.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

The UA and PA have the 26K frame, the LA and SA use the 24K, and the MA uses the 22K, as standards.
Mccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:39 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

My cost on the one color paint change is $300. Not too bad considering the overall cost of the coach. Would give you a custom look compared to the standard paint schemes, but I just hoped to find someone that had actually done it and ease my concerns over changing to something abnormal to their process.

I did have a salesperson contact Tiffin about customizing the one bunk wall with a stronger backing plate inside and the necessary low voltage cables. He was told they could not do that for me because they build the wall sections ahead of time and it could not be tracked in their manufacturing process. Sounds more like they just don't want to mess with it. If we order, I will be present during the build and thought I might try myself in person.

My pricing sheet indicates the UA is available in the 24K or 26K chassis. I have seen both in 2018 dealer units on the lot. More 26K for sure, so I guess that is a popular option.

Would still love to hear from a 36UA owner?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #7

The UA is a fairly new (less than 2 years) model. Not sure you’re going to get many chiming in.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:02 AM   #8

Getting ready this week to make a final decision on ordering the 36UA. Thought I would bump my post to see if anyone has any advice or suggestions on this model and options I discussed.

One other option we are considering is to go with the combo washer/dryer instead of the stacked. The reason being you gain so much counter space in the bath without the stack and you gain a window. I know the combo units are not as well regarded, but my research seems to indicate if you have reasonable expectations on the unit, it does a fair job. Seems taking the clothes out after wash to keep them from being wadded up during drying helps a lot. You would do that anyway with the separate units.

Thanks again for your time and advice.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My 2014 36LA has the V10 engine. I tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee with no problems. I am very happy with the 24K chassis.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #10

We are looking at the same model and we also want to opt for the combo for the exact same reasons.
Mccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #11

As noted to a degree above, be cognizant of what chassis you want / see / price out on the UA (and the PA). While the spec sheets on Tiffin site show both the UA and PA as standard on the 26k GVWR / 30k GCWR chassis, as I've now seen a price sheet that shows both the 24k/30k chassis and the 26k/30k as available on the UA and PA.

And note that when originally released in 2016, the PA was on the 24k........

That same price sheet also shows both the 22k/26k and 24k/30k on the 32SA, which as far as I know has always been only on the 24k/30k, so not sure what's going on there either.

The 31SA (NLA) was standard on the 22k/26k, but an "off the menu" option to put it on the 24k/30k was available (and as ours was ordered). My guess is you could do the same on the MA now as its the same 228" wheelbase as the 31/32SA.

And there are more than a few 36LAs out there (standard on the 24k/30k chassis) that have opted for the 26k/30k chassis.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
First I would like to say how much I appreciate this forum and the level of knowledge here. Nothing better than having the opportunity to hear first hand owner experiences.

We have been shopping several months for a Class A bunkhouse model. In looking at all the options, I am convinced the Tiffin Allegro's are the best value for the money. I am fortunate to be located a couple hours drive to Red Bay (we took the tour) and have been getting quotes from the three dealers that seem to provide aggressive pricing on ordering (Ingram, Sherman, Davis). Pricing on ordering a new 2018 is better that what I have found on leftover 2017's on the lot and even most low mileage private units for sale. I would love to have a DP but just not within my budget to get the same amenities you get with the 36UA.

That being said, I was hoping to get some 36UA owner experiences on their coach and have a few specific questions.

1. Being the largest coach in the Tiffin gas line, I am somewhat concerned over the ability of the V10 to adequately provide power. I have driven the 36UA and the smaller units but the longer wheelbase provides a much better ride and to get the king bed, bunks and 1/2 bath, that is where you are. We will occasionally tow a small enclosed trailer with a motorcycle or a CR-V. I have reasonable expectations, but what is your first hand opinion of the power? I have been advised by all salespeople to order the 26K chassis upgrade.

2. We love the floor plan, particularly the direct line viewing of the TV from the sofa (we have been surprised at how many floor plans have the TV off to the side). The only negative we have seen is the tight quarters when the slides are closed. You can access the 1/2 bath. The full wall slide is amazing at how much it opens up the coach. Are we missing any negatives to consider?

3. They do not provide TV's in the bunk area, but do have an electrical plug in the wall on each bunk. I plan to purchase two 19" tv/dvd units to mount on that wall. Appears to be a single stud in the center. The central electronics are on the opposite side of that wall in the Master, so should not be too hard to provide cable to each bunk. Anyone worked that issue?

4. We plan to not order the oven in order to get the extra storage. Just the convection microwave. Are you happy with its performance?

5. We plan to not order the drop down bunk. Really don't need it for sleeping and your lose a lot of headroom and storage in the cab.

6. We are considering at least a one color paint change on the exterior paint scheme. Can be done at Red Bay during the build for a reasonable price. A little concerned over potential delays or quality issues by doing this. Anyone have experience with custom paint changes?

I feel like I have done my homework but realize we need to have reasonable expectations related to build quality, and at a minimum, small things will happen and need to be addressed. We are really excited to start the RVing experience.

Thanks so much for your time and advice.

Hi! My name is Merri Curl, we bought the 36UA last year! I can tell you we have loved it. We took a long trip last Sept. to South Dakota and had a blast. Maybe I can answer some questions for you.

Let me try:

1). On our round trip to South Dakota from Sacramento, Ca, towing a Rubicon Jeep, there was slow down on uphill grades but we had expected that we wouldn’t have the power of a diesel pusher. Awesome ride for sure.

2). The full wall slide is awesome! So much room it’s crazy. Sofa while ok is not super comfortable for long periods of sitting but not bad. Pulling it out for sleeping is fast and I’m told by my mother extremely comfortable. Your concern about accessing things while closed up is not true. I got to that bathroom, able to access the whole kitchen, make coffee, lunch whatever. I live it. I would have preferred a bench table but we have the dining table/computer desk and I have learned to love it. Lots of storage. As far as the bunks what a plus! We have two small dogs so we put both mattresses up top and put our dog beds on the bottom. If grandkids come we have two beds to use. No tv in bunks but lights and plugs for their games and phones. They are 13 & 15 and my sister as well has slept their and says really comfortable.

3). The storage is great! I enjoy having my oven but I have used the microwave not the convection yet. My friend lives the convection does not have oven in her 5th wheel.

4). I would order the bunk if you dont need it put it up or use it for additional storage!

You are going to love it! Back bathroom great! Love everything about it. I even bought a portable dishwasher and put it on the counter in back bathroom. Bed is very comfortable. Lots of closet space.

Now for the two issues we have had..
Motorhome came with direct t.v. We paid $600 to change it out for dish. We in trip, paid $70 for one month of service and It never worked. Going in 1/29 to get it fixed.

Took a trip two weeks ago and when we arrived at our destination we lowered the jacks and started to extend the full wall slide but it stopped 1 1/2 inch out and stopped. We tried bring up the jack to start process over but the jacks would not come down.

We called our local service tech and they could not help us with it. We were able to extend the bed slide and we decided to remain at our camp for the week. This answers your question about how you can move around when slide is in. It is functional just not as roomy. We did just fine. However not happy with the fact that we did not get help from our dealer or tiffin roadside for a fix to problem.

When we find out what is wrong I will happily share that with you as well.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions you have. Overall, we absolutely LOVE our choice.
Merricurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merricurl View Post
Hi! My name is Merri Curl, we bought the 36UA last year! I can tell you we have loved it. We took a long trip last Sept. to South Dakota and had a blast. Maybe I can answer some questions for you.

Let me try:

1). On our round trip to South Dakota from Sacramento, Ca, towing a Rubicon Jeep, there was slow down on uphill grades but we had expected that we wouldn’t have the power of a diesel pusher. Awesome ride for sure.

2). The full wall slide is awesome! So much room it’s crazy. Sofa while ok is not super comfortable for long periods of sitting but not bad. Pulling it out for sleeping is fast and I’m told by my mother extremely comfortable. Your concern about accessing things while closed up is not true. I got to that bathroom, able to access the whole kitchen, make coffee, lunch whatever. I live it. I would have preferred a bench table but we have the dining table/computer desk and I have learned to love it. Lots of storage. As far as the bunks what a plus! We have two small dogs so we put both mattresses up top and put our dog beds on the bottom. If grandkids come we have two beds to use. No tv in bunks but lights and plugs for their games and phones. They are 13 & 15 and my sister as well has slept their and says really comfortable.

3). The storage is great! I enjoy having my oven but I have used the microwave not the convection yet. My friend lives the convection does not have oven in her 5th wheel.

4). I would order the bunk if you dont need it put it up or use it for additional storage!

You are going to love it! Back bathroom great! Love everything about it. I even bought a portable dishwasher and put it on the counter in back bathroom. Bed is very comfortable. Lots of closet space.

Now for the two issues we have had..
Motorhome came with direct t.v. We paid $600 to change it out for dish. We in trip, paid $70 for one month of service and It never worked. Going in 1/29 to get it fixed.

Took a trip two weeks ago and when we arrived at our destination we lowered the jacks and started to extend the full wall slide but it stopped 1 1/2 inch out and stopped. We tried bring up the jack to start process over but the jacks would not come down.

We called our local service tech and they could not help us with it. We were able to extend the bed slide and we decided to remain at our camp for the week. This answers your question about how you can move around when slide is in. It is functional just not as roomy. We did just fine. However not happy with the fact that we did not get help from our dealer or tiffin roadside for a fix to problem.

When we find out what is wrong I will happily share that with you as well.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions you have. Overall, we absolutely LOVE our choice.

Also, we do have the bunk over the cab and love it. My husband is 6’2 and we have plenty of room. Again, storage is not a problem for us. Have taken as many as five adults and never had an issue with storage.
Merricurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #14

We have owned three Tiffin MH all being the V 10 engine, and we would not buy anything else. We have just purchased the 36 UA about two months ago, 2018 with bunk beds and over head bed. We love our Tiffin and the V 10 will provide you with all the power you will need. I suggest you read the books from Ford which explains how to operate the engine. The engine has 320 horse power and is used in several types of commercial vehicles. Our last MH was a 2016 Open Road 34 TGA, with the V10 which we loved. The reason we upgraded to the 2018 was there wasn't a W/D, Bath/half, and many more amenities we now enjoy. We have owned five MH in the past with the last three as stated, however I have had 4 or 5 V10'S, and loved them. The service we received at Red Bay was above average in control/management, and we felt like royalty. We are full timers due to Louisiana flooding, but spent most of the year in our MH anyway, saying this for the full side slide, king size bed, extra 1/2 bath, w/d, and so much more, we highly recommend the 36 UA. Mr. Bob will return your call, might be 6 AM next morning, but he is customer friendly. We aren't in anyway connected to Tiffin motorhomes, but we are satisfied customers. Also as in anything, new or used, problems may occur. You seem to be on the right trail. Have a good MH experience.
LORIDER is offline   Reply With Quote