Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #1

45OP Bus questions

I posted this over on TRVN, and have gotten a couple of good replies, but thought I'd ask here too.

We're looking to come back to Tiffin after a foray into Winnebago territory with a 42 Tour QD. We really like the Tour floorplan, but I just can't deal with Winnebago and Camping World for service. Got spoiled with our first two Tiffins by actually being able to get parts when I needed them. Can't much do that in Winnie land, and don't even get me started on Camping Worlds. Anyway, the Tiffin floorplan that most closely matches what we want is the 45OP. It would be the OPP, except we can't get the L couch in that model. My bride really likes the L couch in the Tour, but it is bigger than Tiffins version, very comfy and electrically extends to make a huge bed.

For those that have the L couch, is it comfortable? I realize that is subjective, but our last bus, an 08 40 qsp, had a couch made by Sakrete. Or maybe OF Sakrete. We have so far not been able to find the Tiffin version to try out. Does it have any sort of recline or footrests built in, or do you need ottomans to prop your feet on? How big a bed does it make, or does it?

Is the opposite recliner comfortable? Does it recline far enough to get fairly supine? The one in the Tour does not.

Given that there is no pantry, where do you store the canned goods and other things that normally go in a pantry?

Is the mattress a sleep number type, or a memory foam or an internal spring type? Is there any storage under the bed, and is the lift gas shock assisted or electric or what?

Now the 600hp vs. 450 hp question. The red blooded American boy in me says more horsepower is always better, especially when moving something the size of a house down the road, pulling a 4 door Jeep and with a 900 lb. motorcycle on a lift on the back. Has anyone got experience with both engines and can compare them performance and maintenance wise? How about fuel mileage?

Any more considerations I haven't even thought of yet? When do the 18s come out? I see there are several new 16s still out there. Any significant differences between a 16 and a 17?

Thanks.
jbstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't remember seeing this over on TRVN unless it was some time ago and I just forgot. Anyway... you might want to visit a Tiffin dealer and try the L-couch before you buy one. A lot of folks including myself think that the extendable portion is not really usable, because it is uncomfortable. There is a support bar under the cushion, and after sitting there for a while, you really start to feel that bar in/on your thighs. Of course as you said, that's a subjective opinion. One thing may solve another, because if you do feel that the L-couch is uncomfortable, you might decide to look a little closer at the OPP, which gives you the pantry.

As for the bed, you might want to follow the link on TRVN to the price sheets. If I remember correctly, the choices are sleep number (or air equivalent) or memory foam, at least for the OPP, so I don't think there would be different choices for the OP.

Your mileage may vary...
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The OPP has two pantry's, on either side of the frig, how many did you want? We have one of those floor to ceiling pantry's, and rarely use more than 1/2 of it. We do use one of the overhead cabinets for large bagged/boxes food products.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. We did get to sit on a 2015 L couch and recliner today, then on a 2017 straight couch and recliner. There is a noticeable difference in the perceived comfort level between the years. Of course, newer is better for both couch and recliner. We also decided that then 45 OP D floorplan will work for us. That's the L couch and recliner with the canted TV. Also found out the 18s will likely be out in June/July for the Bus and Phaeton lines. Earlier for the Open Road REDs.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We just moved from a 2010 42AD to a 2017 45OPP. We had 3 Winnies and this is our first Tiffin. In the Tour, my spot was the extended part of the L couch. In my opinion, it's too uncomfortable. For the Bus, we took the option with two swivel recliners. So far, so good.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #6

My spot is usually the recliner. The big attraction of the L couch for my wife, beside pretty much effortlessly making a big bed, is that one of the dogs has claimed that L section. She can lie on the couch with a dog beside her and the other one on the L at her head. Hey, it makes her happy, so I'm not complaining. Our only real complaint with the floorplan of the Tour is that the kitchen cabinets are awkward for her. That slant makes it difficult for her to get the plates in. If Tiffin would copy that floorplan (QD) in a Bus, we'd have never bought the Tour. It works real well for us, but trying to work with W and Camping World to get parts and repairs is just more trouble than the coach is worth, despite all the features we really like.