RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

Exclamation 911 - Water Leak Help Needed

Need some help folks. Woke up this morning and emptied the full gray tank and noticed a wet spot under the rig (rig details in signature) and drips coming from a floor seam above the muffler. Water has no noticeable smell. Rig is tilted slightly to the front and I can push up on the floor from behind the drips and get a small stream. I've looked under all the sinks and under the vanity in the main bath and can find nothing. I've looked in the wet bay and found nothing. I've just turned off the water to the rig to see if that will tell me anything.

So what I need is some guidance on where to look and how to access the floor space where the water lines run. Any suggestions will help. Anything to help diagnose the cause. This is my first time to chase a water leak in the rig. Anything that will get me to a solution will be much appreciated.

Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 09:15 AM   #2

Update: turned the fresh city water off right after my initial post. Waited about 20 mins and the dripping stopped. I then turned the city water back on and it's been on for approx. 25 mins and no dripping. So I'm at least for the moment thinking maybe the leak is related to me emptying the gray tank. Indicator showed it being full before I emptied.

Going down the gray tank path, is there anyway to access the plumbing going into or out of the gray tank? At a minimum, I would like to get some air moving under the floor to start drying out and/or reducing the chance of mold or rot.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #3

Open the passenger side cover of the wet bay and see what you can see. When I had a small leak in the tank flush system I was able to see the top of the tanks by peeking aft over the top of the partition between the wet bay and and the basement. Head between the frame rails and a bright light laying in the basement compartment but I don't know how the structure lies on an Allegro Bay.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #4

Thanks Pigman1. I've looked in all the knocks and crannies I can find and can't find anything.

Anybody know how to access the gray tank or plumbing to the grey tank?
Old 05-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not sure about the Bay, but most Tiffin coaches have a compartment panel on the passenger side that does not open. Behind that panel are the holding tanks and plumbing. Depending on the design, there are either two clips on each side with two screws each or screws underneath. If it has the screws underneath, then the compartment raises up hinged at the top. If it has the clips on both sides, then the door is removable.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

Thanks Lt Dan. They only outside panels on the passenger side are 2 furnaces, hot water heater, and refrigerator access. All of which I can open, but don't see anyway to get to the grey tank.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #7

Update as of now - so far it hasn't leaked again! I've dumped both grey and black tanks and no leaks. City water has been hooked up and on since my initial post. Everyone that has responded has referenced a panel on the passenger side directly opposite the wet bay which is on he driver's side. Even two different people at Tiffin referenced the panel. I don't have a panel. I even sent pics to Tiffin and nothing.

I'm glad it hasn't leaked again, but I want to know why it did the one time. Even more so I want to know if there is a way to access any part of the grey tank other than from behind the panel in the wet bay. Where is the panel everyone references? Any 34XB owners out there that know of a way to access the tanks? Surely there has to be a way. What would have to be done if a tank needed to be replaced?

As always, any help will be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:12 AM   #8

Lt Dan has it right. After the last basement access door on the right (passenger) side and before the rear wheels the panel that looks permanently mounted is covering access to your fresh, black and grey tanks. Lay on your back at the front and rear of that panel and look up to the RV floor just inside the bend of the skin panel. There should be a metal tab held to the underside of the basement floor by one or two screws at both the front and rear of that blank panel. Remove all the holding screw(s) and pull the panel out at the bottom. You'll need a stick to hold it horizontal while you work in the wet bay compartment as it's hinged at the top. Later RV years changed this mounting system for that panel to 8 screws accessed by a THIN shafted Phillips screwdriver through the crack where this panel meets the next forward and aft panel. My 2008 Bus used the upper hinge and underdeck clip mounting and the 2013 uses the 8 screws in the side panel cracks.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #9

Thanks again Pigman1. I think I know where the panel is now. I think my water heater access is in that panel. There is an L bracket accessible just behind the panel underneath. Inside the water heater access is 4 long screws that go thru some little tabs. Would love to give you a pic, but don't know how from my phone. I've taken the bolt out of the L bracket and removed the 4 long screws, but can't get it to move. It does look as if it is hinged. Kind of afraid to tug on it to hard. It may just me stuck as it may have never been opened before.

Kind of on a roll now. Step by step works good for me. Next step suggestions?
Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #10

OK, next step. The frame of the water heater is held into the a hole cut in the side panel by those 4 long screws. It should also have some silicon sealant around the edge of the frame that will have to be cut to release the frame. I'd expect that once the frame is removed, the cover panel should swing up. It'll probably take a little persuasion with a putty knife or similar and be even more of a PITA when you reassemble. A helping hand might make it a bit easier.

Since both of my Buses were configured a bit differently, you may have to modify things somewhat. Our water heater is one side panel forward from where yours appears to be. BTW, be very careful with the dimples those long screws go into in your water heater. I've had to pull my frame off a few times for water heater maintenance and ended up breaking one of the dimples. I had to get creative with some additional screws.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #11

If the sewer tank is overfilled, this could also result in a leak.
fishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #12

Thanks again Pigman1. It will be a few days before I can dig a little further. There is some caulking involved as you mentioned.

I will post a pic in a few days to show folks where this panel is for future reference.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #13

Thanks for your input fishchamp. Fortunately, the leak I experienced wasn't from the black tank. Since it hasn't leaked again, I have no idea what caused it. I'm still looking and hoping I can find it and it is any easy fix. Given my luck, if I do find the source it will be a pia to fix.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #14

Could be a leak in the gray tank at a certain level. Once that level of capacity is reached, it leaks. Food for thought. Keep an eye on it as it fills for leaks.

Tags
leak, water, water leak