RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
'99 Bus - Wipers / Washers quit working.

Have had our 1999 - 39 ft. - Allegro Bus for 3 1/2 years now.

We are in the middle of a 7 + week journey - spending the next 4 weeks in an RV Resort on the Central California Coast. On our trip here from Arizona I was using the windshield washer / wiper system to clear road dirt and bugs from the windshield. All of a sudden, everything stopped - the washer pump quit and the wipers also stopped mid-cycle. At the first opportunity. I stopped and manually re-positioned the wipers to the "park" position, and then continued on to our destination since there was no rain in the forecast for the remainder of our trip.

Now I need to find and fix the problem. Yesterday afternoon, I checked the 25 Amp "Wipers" fuse on the panel adjacent to the generator in the front service compartment - it was GOOD. Checked with the ignition key in both the "acc" and "on" positions - I am getting 12.9 volts DC on either side of the fuse as measured with my digital voltmeter. All wiring seems to be in place at the wiper motor, washer pump motor and at the back of the washer / wiper control switch mounted on the dashboard.

Can anyone suggest what I should check out next to find and solve this problem. Could it be the main dashboard wiper / washer control switch module?

I don't have an electrical wiring diagram / schematic for the under-dash and front-outside service compartment. Does anyone know how I can go about obtaining these - Tiffin ?? Freightliner ??

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Coyote Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Think I would give Tiffin a call. They should be able to talk you through it.

burfurd

Old 11-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #3

The next step would be to find the washer pump and see if it runs when activated normally. If not, then check if it has power to it. If it does run, take off the water line that goes to the wipers and see if it squirts. What your doing is trying to find if you have a power problem, a pump problem, and then if you eliminate them, if you have a line blockage. One step at a time and you'll isolate the issue.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the tips, but ---- both the washer and wipers failed at the same instant - initially suspected the fuse - NOPE - power at both sides of fuse when key on, but nothing works. Needing an electrical diagram to see power distribution outward from the fuse and control switch assembly mounted on the dash. I'm guessing the fuse is before the combo-switch since both units are dead in the water.

I do have a digital voltmeter to check out the system, but need the wiring diagram to proceed.

Have already emailed Tiffin, but no reply yet - will call tomorrow if no response.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
An alternate solution

If at first you donít succeed, BY-pass.

Rig up a temporary switch on the dash and run a hot wire to both motor & pump. Use an appropriate gauge wire and add an in-line fuse.

This should get you road-worthy until you get a wiring chart from the chassis mfgr. [BTW, Tiffin didnít do the vehicle wiring loom].
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd check next by rigging a hot wire from a known 12v source directly to the wiper motor. If it works, you know its probably in the dash switch/ speed control. Did you measure power into the dash control? When it's in the on position, power out of the switch?

You could then do as 62Morgan suggested and rig a work around to get you on the road, and order a new dash control.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Problem solved -- for some unknown reason, the original former owner (or their service center) had rerouted the wiper / washer power source from the chassis related fuse block in the outside front service compartment to the coach related inside under dash fuse block. NOTHING LABELED on the inside fuse block except SPARE. In addition, the fuse they used was only a 15 amp fuse, while the fuse still left in the outside fuse location labeled WIPERS was a 25 amp fuse. I only found this out by manually tracing the wiring under the dash after many hours of research and troubleshooting.

Yes - a simple under-rated, blown fuse in an UNLABLED, alternate fuse block caused my many hours of anguish.

I'm resting much easier now as our trip home in 10 days approaches. We're ready now for rain, snow or whatever the "weather king" throws at us. Hoping for SUN, of course.

Rich @ Pismo Coast Village RV Resort for 9 more days