RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Acceleration issue or just me?

Just picked up our new Tiffin Allegro open road 35QBA. SWEET except on an incline the rpms drop and I can put the pedal down it goes to the floor and nothing happens. If I let up on the pedal the rpms kick in. I drove a bounder a couple months ago for a test ride and i had no issues. Dealer said didn't find anything wrong but going to met with service manager tomorrow and take him for a ride. Any thoughts? Thanks

Yondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #2

Maybe the transmission is not shifting down properly.

RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's weird. I had had no problems on my 325 mile trip home last week. Please keep us updated!
Z714X4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Although it might not be the same thing as you are experiencing I found this...
V10 loss of power?

How many miles were on your coach when you bought it?
I'm wondering about a dirty fuel filter... maybe? Who knows what brand of fuel is put in these things both by the long haul drivers and dealerships.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Well apparently the thing I feared the most happened. My wife had no acceleration issues nor did the service manager. So it's me !!!!!!!!
The suggestion from the service manager was I might be choking the engine by trying to "floor it" to gain speed going up an incline. Of course my wife smiled at me and said " honey I didn't have a problem with it!"
Yondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

If an incline is ahead, the time to gain speed is before you get there.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #7

Hello we also have 2011 35QBA I've found it to be very sluggish myself. I had a 2007 coach before this one it had way more power. It was the same chassis not sure why this is happening I installed a performance programmer in our new one however I haven't had a chance to see how it does. I will let you know if you'd like.
SHADETREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shadetree,

Please keep me updated on the programmer, I'm very interested!

Do you know if that voids your chassis warranty?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #9

Likely what you are experiencing is the dreaded "government mandated emission controls" They have programmed the ecm computer to not allow it to overfuel, thus sending black smoke rearward and overwhelming the def system. The result is a very noticable lag in acceleration and a "sluggishness" about the performance. It is common to all new diesels and it will not get better anytime soon. The bright spot is it will not get black soot on your towed, or your chrome mud flap, the air will be cleaner and better and you get slightly better fuel mileage. It is just that the good old days of sticking your foot in it and going instantly are gone, at least for now. all just my experiences and opinions. My 2011 is way more sluggish than my 2007 was.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #10

"Likely what you are experiencing is the dreaded "government mandated emission controls" They have programmed the ecm computer to not allow it to overfuel, thus sending black smoke rearward and overwhelming the def system."

Don't think so in this case, a 35QBA is a gas coach, no def, no smoke!
Doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondog View Post
The suggestion from the service manager was I might be choking the engine by trying to "floor it" to gain speed going up an incline. Of course my wife smiled at me and said " honey I didn't have a problem with it!"
Your Service Manager is the only thing that is choking.

Seriously, on a modern, computer controlled, fuel injected engine, the engine should instantly respond to all throttle changes.

It might have been a one-time fluke or it could indicate a flaky throttle position sensor. Or if your gas pedal is "fly by wire" then a faulty throttle motor. If it happens again, ask to speak to a real mechanic.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I find that when driving with the cruise control on, my V-10 automatically kicks into higher rpms.

I have read threads here about people who drive their rv a certain speed, but I prefer to restrict my driving to under 3200 rpm in order to attempt to save some gas.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I think what is happening overall, is that the coach size of these new gas motor homes is reaching the limits of what the V10 is capable of effectively and efficiently performing. It does not make any difference if the chassis is a Ford or Workhorse, but these 35 to 39 foot gassers carry to much weight for the engine. I realize that the 8.1 Workhorse engine is no longer available for gas rigs and even if it was available the larger rigs are just too much. My 32BA (33 foot long) with 19.5 tires and 20700 weight limit struggles at times with the 8.1 coupled with the Allison transmission. And the sweet spot, RPM wise, is 2100-2200 for a cruising speed of 62 MPH. This gives me the best gas mileage. Going up grades, I attempt to keep the RPM's below 4000 and as close to 3500 as possible.

So, for the OP, IMHO the 35QBA with load is just a tad to much for the V10.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #14

I have to agree with Nick-B there must be something wrong with your Ford. I have a 2011 34TGA and I have no problems with drivability from the throttle. We have been over the Rockies and never had a problem maintaining speed or acceleration when needed. I too would look for another opinion on your issue.

Doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote