Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Adjustment to longer RV

We have a 38ft bus and looking at upgrading to a newer bus. So far most of the choices I have found in looking for 2008-2011-year bus have been in the 40-43ft range. My question is how hard was it to adapt to the longer bus? If you have gone to a longer RV, what were the big adjustments that you learned, and what to watch out for.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #2

It will be easy, just remember your heavier. If you go over 40' you may need a upgrades drivers license in most states.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
It will be easy, just remember your heavier. If you go over 40' you may need a upgrades drivers license in most states.
Some states not most.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Toes of the people on the corner waiting to cross at the intersection!!
Seriously... nothing much, just be mindful there is an extra 5 feet or so out there behind the front wheels. It will be just like it was when you got the 38, a couple of weeks driving and you will have it down!
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #5

Just went from a 26 1/2 foot Class C to a 34’3” 32SA and was prepared for big changes. There really haven’t been any of consequence. Understand your pivot point in turns and maybe having to round out turns a little more. The biggest adjustment has been how danged tall these beasts are.
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tail swing is going to be greater.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My friend just wiped out his side radiator due to forgetting the tail swing!!
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlturner View Post
My friend just wiped out his side radiator due to forgetting the tail swing!!
Thanks everyone who posted, this is the type of info that I am looking for.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #9

Take your time turning and watch the camera and mirror, especially in tight spaces
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Take your time turning and watch the camera and mirror, especially in tight spaces
I think this is the best advice. I watched my side mirrors religiously when I first moved up from a 34' to a 40. When the longer coach is new to you, watching the mirrors can keep you in your lane, especially on sharp curves.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #11

Tail Swing

Tail swing was greater on my 38' Allegro Bay than it was on my 2008 42' Tag or on my 45' Cornerstone. It is a function how much of the coach is behind the rear pivot more so than the length of the coach.

On moving up to the 42' I did drag my truck over a curb early on (No damage) but it did remind me to not go by instinct's learned from driving 38'. Driving the tag pusher was oh so much better.

You will be in the "swing" before you know it. Safe travels!
Fergtiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #12

Your axles will be in different places proportionally to the exterior dimensions of your bus. That means it will have different turning characteristics so be careful until you learn exactly how your rear axle will track when turning. Your tail swing will also likely be different, but that's already been mentioned. Backing it up will be new again. You will probably just have to do it a few times to get the hang of it again. Overall height will also be different. Go measure your height before you try to squeeze under a 11'9" bridge. You probably know exactly how tall your current one is, but make sure you check the new one.

TLDR: Be aware of a different turning characteristics, tail swing, backing up characteristics, and new overall height.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergtiffin View Post
Tail swing was greater on my 38' Allegro Bay than it was on my 2008 42' Tag or on my 45' Cornerstone. It is a function how much of the coach is behind the rear pivot more so than the length of the coach. ...
This is us. We had more tail swing on our 37ft Bounder than on our current 42ft Phaeton. We gained a tighter turning radius with the Phaeton. The Phaeton is more maneuverable.

What did change was adjusting search terms when reserving a campsite, especially with state parks. The extra 5ft in length does keep us from some sites if a tree or woods is too close to the pad's backstop than it used to. I use Google Maps or Google Earth to check a campground's site's clearances.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #14

Adjustment to longer RV

It’s all about looking carefully and going slow in those first few maneuvers, using the knowledge that the front tires are pivoting BEHIND your butt, and using ALL of that tight wheel cut.
Mirrors, perspective, patience.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote