RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Advice for new RV GPS

My present Garmin GPS appears to be dying. Need a recommendation on what most people prefer for the new RV type GPS. We travel mostly the Interstate highways. Do I need the most expensive? Is the RV GPS worth it? Should I stick to the regular auto type?
Pros and Cons of both please.

parrett1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
My GarminGPS had an issue, turned off after 30 seconds. It was the battery. Found YouTube directions and a kit with replacement battery and tools$23 and change. Works better than ever. Site was new power 99 or something similar in Dallas.

navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #3

It depends on if you want to spend $300 or not. If you do then what from I have read the Rand McNally or a version of that for RVing is very good. I bought a Garman Nuvi50 from Walmart for $100 and it worked great during our 5700+ mile trip. JMHO
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Parrett,
I think the RV GPS is worth it, but which brand is going to be a choice for you to research and then decide on.
I bought the Rand McNally RVND 7710 (just before the 7720s came out) last year. It worked for me just fine or almost a year, then started freezing up intermittently. After several phone sessions with their technicians they sent me UPS labels to return it. The replacement they sent me started doing the same thing, and then the 12 volt charger fell apart as I was disconnecting it! I'm currently waiting for a replacement charger.
I don't know if the 7720 is any better quality, but right now I can't recommend the Rand McNally GPS.
I think most of the RV GPSs will have features that the auto units don't have, like warnings for height restrictions, weight restrictions, LP restrictions, steep inclines or sharp curves etc.
Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I got the 7720. Sending back. Bad usb port. Nice features. Tons more rv parks and Walmarts etc. Routing better on my Nuvi.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #6

Really am liking my new Garmin RV760LTM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I've heard good things about that Garmin. I may look into it if the new charger doesn't fix my problems.
Tim,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #8

Howdy!

I for one see no need to purchase a stand alone RV gps. A couple of years ago I replaced it with a app Co-Pilot live USA on my android Samsung tablet. The gps app has a RV setting that also has height alert up to 13' which works for me. We are fulltimers and used it as our goto gps daily. I also use it on my smartphone. You do not need a data connection to use it as the maps are downloaded to your device. The app is also transferable if you get a new devise and I can load the app onto multiple devices. The app only cost $4.99. So if you all ready have a smartphone or tablet I would recommed trying this. If not I would recommend the purchase of a tablet to use as a gps with Co-pilot app. I for one like the large screen and you will get more uses out of tablet or even smartphone than a stand alone gps.

CoPilot Live GPS Navigation for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Mobile and Laptop

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Another plus for Garmin's RV760LMT. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm NOT an employee of Garmin, but have always been partial toward their GPSs. I've never owned or used a Magellan or Rand McNally. I had a single TomTom when I bought it as a Palm app with the Palm Bluetooth GPS for my Treo when they first came out. Was not impressed with the TomTom. I've owned and used Garmin's GPS-12, GPS-V, iQue 3600, eTrex H, Nuvi 2460LMT, and now the RV760LMT, and never had problems with any of them (except the GPS-12 which was given away, all are still very usable). Back to the RV760LMT, I really like it... it has car and RV modes, so it is still equally useful as an "ordinary" GPS. You can also actaully store multiple RV profiles in the unit, but only one can be active at a time. However, before you use it in a car, you may want to visit a brick and mortar store first to see it, or one of Garmin's other 7" units, like the 2797. That 7" screen can really take up some windshield real estate!
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

I for one see no need to purchase a stand alone RV gps. A couple of years ago I replaced it with a app Co-Pilot live USA on my android Samsung tablet. The gps app has a RV setting that also has height alert up to 13' which works for me. We are fulltimers and used it as our goto gps daily. I also use it on my smartphone. You do not need a data connection to use it as the maps are downloaded to your device. The app is also transferable if you get a new devise and I can load the app onto multiple devices. The app only cost $4.99. So if you all ready have a smartphone or tablet I would recommed trying this. If not I would recommend the purchase of a tablet to use as a gps with Co-pilot app. I for one like the large screen and you will get more uses out of tablet or even smartphone than a stand alone gps.

CoPilot Live GPS Navigation for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Mobile and Laptop

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Did you by any chance get the maps to load to a external SD card If You did I would refund the price of the ap to you to know how to do that. I have other stuff on my samsung and did not have enough storage to download the maps
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the rand mcnally 7710 and I love mine. I also had a problem with the charger. It shorted out and blew fuses but it is just a usb mini connector on the end. I have several of those and I have 12 lighter to usb converters so I did not worry about it. The 7720 had some nice features but not worth it since I have the 7710.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #12

Just got a new Garmin RV760 in July. I have only made 3 trips with it so far but I am totally impressed. The added alerts are worth the money alone. Alerts to Speed Zones, Curves ahead, Bridge Weight Limits, Auto Accidents, by an audible tone and a visual bulletin on the screen. If it saves me one ticket it has paid for its self.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ref: GPS Battery

Thanks for the info. I ordered the battery from Power 99 and received it in three days. Also watched the video (very important) and replaced it today. Not an easy task as the cover was difficult to remove and very delicate inside. I think all is OK??? I will test it on my next trip. I hoped I saved $$$. Appreciate your help. (AF retired and living the good life.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post
My GarminGPS had an issue, turned off after 30 seconds. It was the battery. Found YouTube directions and a kit with replacement battery and tools$23 and change. Works better than ever. Site was new power 99 or something similar in Dallas.
parrett1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #14

A few interesting comments on Amazon.com reviews of the RV760

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps