Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Advice needed re purchasing 2018 Tiffin from dealer

We have an upcoming trip to check out a 2018 34PA on hold for purchase at a RV dealer located in another state. Coach has less than 5K miles and we like their price to the point of ‘something must be wrong with it’

Odds are we will be happy campers but we want to do everything we should be doing on the day of inspection and acceptance. Our first motorhome purchase, so we don’t know what we don’t know.

What’s on your check list of ‘due diligence’ if you were looking to buy a squeaky clean 2018 Tiffin Allegro 34PA from a reputable Tiffin dealer – 600 miles away?

Thanks!
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #2

congrats...
i've got to run, but between here and trvn, i'll bet you'll find several inspection lists that you can modify or blend.

several dealers offer new for somewhere around 29% off retail. without asking for secret location etc...
what percent of retail msrp have you found... ?

i was speaking with a member of a camping club... who was bragging about his dealer and how much he paid.... (20% off retail) i'm glad he's happy with dealer because he didn't get a great deal!

i have a gas tiffin. love it... but beginning to look for something bigger... the price of used are so close to new...
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Get an independent MH inspector to go over the coach before you sign on the dotted line, You will feel better and it will be money well spent.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
X2 on what momdoc says. We recently purchased a 2018 Phaeton. We turned down a previous Phaeton based on an inspector's report. Had one done on the one we have now & it gave us peace of mind for the purchase.

I used https://nrvia.org. It won't be cheap but it's worth it. If you don't find one in where the coach is, try expanding your search to nearby large cities.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:40 AM   #5

I think I remember that the early 2018 34 PA were on the 24k GVWR chassis (26k was an option) and some owners reported being close to or at the limit for the front axle load. Those units also did not have great cargo carrying capacity.
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #6

i've got a 32sa... and love it... but have wondered if we should have moved up... so i'm a little jealous.
just checked my 18 brochure.
32sa basement is 140 and we don't use it all.
34pa basement is 203... that is more than many coaches.

editing to add the brochure shows gvwr at 24k,,, demo may be right.
but it also shows 32sa at 22 and there was a 24 option... but no option shown
good question.. hmm.. anybody got a price list to see?

re read demo's post... and checked an old price list... yes. 26k was an option on the 34pa.. and he was correct... the 24k would not have the ccc of a 26.. i thought demo was referring to space...

enjoy the process. and yep. still a little jealous..
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.J. Demo View Post
I think I remember that the early 2018 34 PA were on the 24k GVWR chassis (26k was an option) and some owners reported being close to or at the limit for the front axle load. Those units also did not have great cargo carrying capacity.
The build sheet list chassis as 26,000.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
An independent inspector seems a fine idea (researching) - it's a big machine.

But I also want to do all due diligence in the process that we should and can do ourselves. Otherwise we show up with the check and nod our heads politely.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
They should spend some time (multiple hours) showing you how everything works and checking to make sure all systems are working.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Assume it has been used / abused both on the lot and at RV shows?

Check the hours on the generator and verify that it has had it's first service. Remember folks don't know how to slide the door for where a washer/dryer goes; assume people yanked on it and tore the screws out. Verify that it feels well attached. When you do your inspection look for scratches at belt buckle level and have them have their bottle of Old English handy.

DEF still the original? That doesn't keep well.

Validate everything that is supposed to come with the unit hasn't been lost, misplaced, or grabbed to get another unit handed off. Conduct a full inventory. Once you drive off they'll claim it was there when rig rolled off their lot.

Good luck and enjoy!

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #11

First, triple check the chassis rating. Check the weight sheet in the back bedroom closet and the entry door jam.

Call Tiffin with the VIN and see if the hitch recalls are needed / have been completed. If not, get the parts sent to the dealer and have them do the fix (it’s relatively easy).

Be thorough on your walk through, and I don’t mean worrying about a little scratch on a counter or cabinet. I mean learn how things work so “you” don’t break something thinking it’s really a build problem; focus on anything and everything that moves or is electrical/ electronic.

Make sure the slides go in / out smoothly; if a slide has been in or out a while you may hear the seals “pop” but that’s normal. And never stop a swintek slide before it’s all the way in or out; if it’s in and you want to extend it first press the “in” for a couple seconds before you hit “out” and hold the “out” button once it’s out for 3-5 seconds until the motors sync and you don’t hear them; and vice versa for the other way).

Make sure you understand how the entertainment system works......

Ask for “tips” as many of these guys have “seen it all”, and they will appreciate you asking for advice vs. coming across as an expert and treating them like they are idiots.

I’ve talked to enough coach techs and they have all told me that it’s their perception that about 1/2 of all “warranty” fixes are owner related; either they knowingly broke something and blame it on “it just happened” so it’s a warranty fix or they are totally ignorant to the fact they broke it which also equates to some folks having something break more than once

Oh, and it’s never going to be perfect, and if that’s your expectation you will be an aggravated and unhappy owner.

Enjoy it for what it is - a “camper”. Our coach hasn’t been perfect, but we’ve had everything resolved in a fair and reasonable manner throughout our 4+ years of ownership, 32,000 miles across most of the US and eastern Canada, and spending over 20 months in it. Yep, even with the aggravations along the way, we’ve really enjoyed our 31SA and have never second guessed our decision.

Get it weighed asap “loaded as you will be traveling”, even if just on CAT scale, and set the tire pressures appropriately. Get a TPMS system for the coach and your toad.

Good luck, and keep a positive attitude and patience.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Awesome thx.

How far down interstate would you want to drive it on test run?

Inventory of gear that should be with 34PA is a good idea!
50 amp service cable, owners manual packet, countertop inserts, 4 chairs for workstation? Anything else?
How many remotes should there be with fireplace and 3 TVs. Ceiling fan remote?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We test drove about 10 miles round trip. On/off interstate ramps, through commercial district w/lots of lights, stopped in a large shopping center to check turning radius & maneuvering to park.

We had these remotes (yours may vary):
4 TV remotes
1 Blu-Ray remote
1 TV lift remote
2 Remotes for the satellite system
1 Bose sound bar remote
1 Surround sound remote
1 Dishwasher remote
2 Entry door/bay lock remotes

I think there are some others but off hand I don't remember what they are. Good thing there's a deep holder between the theater seats to corral all of them.

No remote for the paddle fan. It's controlled by the wall panel in the bedroom.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We had these remotes (yours may vary):
4 TV remotes
1 Blu-Ray remote
1 TV lift remote
2 Remotes for the satellite system
1 Bose sound bar remote