Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #1

Advice on washer/dryer install

We need a new washer/dryer and wondering whether to check in at Red Bay factory for a new washer/dryer or talk to one of the former workers with rv service shops in the area.

We are first time Winter Texan and heading north shortly and never have been to factory. Posts make it look frustrating to get service at factory.

Your thoughts are appreciated as always.
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #2

Wait till camping world offers cheap installation or buy one formatted and with the help of a couple of strong backs move it in yourself. Just be sure to get a vented model. The gentleness ones basically boil clothes dry.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #3

I understand about Camping World ; I do not understand what is meant by buying one that is "formatted". Please elaborate for me.
Thanks.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If you can go to Red Bay you might be able to get a good deal on them. Friend of mine picked up his from Tiffin where someone had just had them removed - brand new in fact.Tiffin has this place that isn't advertised but if you ask the tech will direct you there. It is full of things which have been removed from coaches, some new, some used. I got a great deal in there so look around. McKinney's across the street from the Tiffin campground also carries a huge amount of Tiffin things-furniture to parts- so if Tiffin's little side shop doesn't have them look there. Plus you get the benefit of seeing what the place looks like and maybe take the factory tour which is really interesting.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
No need to worry about coming to Red Bay. Yes, the Service Center is busy but if you arrive on a Saturday, you will most likely get a full hookup parking space. They also have Water/Electric sites. If all else fails, there is a self-service campground down the street that offers full hookups.

You could get these installed at Custom RV in Vina, AL (very short distance from Red Bay).

Lots of options.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #6

Tiffin Factory Install

I talked w/service yesterday about a dishwasher install. The labor was $95/hr..much cheaper than here. Its FIFO so you may have a wait.

Frank
Frankus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Wait till camping world offers cheap installation or buy one formatted and with the help of a couple of strong backs move it in yourself. Just be sure to get a vented model. The gentleness ones basically boil clothes dry.
yes yes on the vented model my firend installed one with out nice new unit with out the vent 12.000$ at CW take 3 to 4 hrs to dry but i am ok with that but it kills every thing you put in it fast
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron and Marsha View Post
We need a new washer/dryer and wondering whether to check in at Red Bay factory for a new washer/dryer or talk to one of the former workers with rv service shops in the area.

We are first time Winter Texan and heading north shortly and never have been to factory. Posts make it look frustrating to get service at factory.

Your thoughts are appreciated as always.
Ron
This thread has been very useful and given me good food for thought. I have some travel time to mull over options and all your comments very valued.

Probably the first time going to Red Bay will be the big learning experience and hopefully a good one.

Pulling in on a Saturday seems to make sense but where exactly do I go? Are the roads well marked?

Ron Hunziger
Old 03-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Sorry, I disagree on CW and their installation. I have had way to many problems with different CW installs and have heard to many horror stories about CW installs. I would never take my rig there after what I have learned. Buying from their, not a problem if the price is right. But I would certainly look elsewhere to get it installed.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CW's vary by location. I'm getting good service (but at premium prices) where I am but as with many RV places it all depends on the (current) quality of the employees and management. It can and does vary. Experience is the best teacher and then chose wisely.

A W/D install is pretty easy except that they are heavy and usually in tight spaces. For that reason I personally would have it done; but it should be a minimal one hour charge unless you are changing from a non vented to a vented one, then they would probably get two hours.

Mind you they might quote four hours but I would discuss the realities that this is a pull the old out and insert new kind of a deal. I have had some success with that kind of reasoning and negotiated better labor rates.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, install