Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air Gap Valve??

On my 05 Phaeton I noticed a leak coming from behind the shower. I opened the small access panel and found an "air gap valve" similiar to what you have on your dishwasher at home. When the city water or water pump is on the valve was leaking . I don't see a reason for this valve and I would like to by pass it. Any comments?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #2

Do you have a spray hose assembly in the shower? If so, it would be there to prevent backflow that potentially could happen if the hose was hanging down and the showerhead submerged in undrained shower water.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob,
Thanks for your reply. I did some research and found the part in question. Here is a picture.

We had a similar problem with our 2007 25' when using the No Fuss Flush when the water started coming out of the black plastic containers under the trailer. I tracked it down to water coming out of the top of the clear plastic Lakeview RV Supply Model 1000 combination check valve/ and anti-siphon valve mounted just behind the water supply fitting on the outside of your trailer. The valve is constructed with the top of the valve being open to the inside of your trailer. When you hook up the water supply to the No Fuss connector the water pushes up a nylon plunger with a rubber seal on it to prevent the water supply from entering your trailer. When you shut the water off, the plunger drops down and prevents any siphoning of waste water to the supply hose. I replaced the valve as a precaution ($25.00 from Lakeview/$47.71 from Airstream) but think the leak may have been caused by some dirt on the seal, allowing the water to flow out the top of the valve and work its way down to the bilge area where the tanks are located. Fortunatly it didn't run along the floor and mainly went down to the bilge. As a precaution, I'm going to include the valve on my list of items when winterizing the trailer. I set up a fan and let it run for three days to make sure all of the water dried up.
Attached Thumbnails

07 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42 ScanGuage D, AG Performance Module, Koni FSD, Safe T Plus, Ready Brake Elite, Ford F150 4x4 EcoBoost
rver98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #4

Sounds, and looks, like you've got 'er figured out. Another thought might be a little lube on that poppet shaft to keep it moving freely. Sometimes plastic on plastic get a little sticky.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

Maybe this is just a bad design. I also had a problem with this leaking when I would flush my tanks out. Tracked the leak down to this same part. After tracking down where the lines went and what it was used for I figured it was not needed since I have a shut off valve on that line anyway so I removed it. Apparently leaking is just part of the design on this thing.

07 Allegro Bus 42QRP (TisIt)
trkrhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #6

Had the same problem in out 5th wheel. The valve was a real bear to get to, & I found it broken. I replaced it with a check valve from a sprinkler supply store.
JOHN