RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Air Hose Connection

New DP owner. I'd like to be able to use the air compressor on my motorhome to inflate my tires, when necessary. I attached a picture with what looks like a connection point to the system. It's located in the forward-most compartment under the DS of the coach where there's also a DC breaker panel. Can this connection point be used? If not, is there another place where I can attach to? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pix - 1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	168535  

aldera is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, sort of.

I put a shutoff valve in first, which makes it easier to connect with pressure. Couple bucks at Home Depot. Dump air pressure in coach, take quick disconnect off, put shutoff valve in, then quick disconnect again. Use Teflon tape on threads. Else, it's hard to insert/remove the hose male disconnect.

The practical problem is that the pressure will drop lower than the tire pressure, before governor builds the pressure back up. Have used it for toad, to help someone on road that had flat, blowing up swimming tubes and balloons, bicycles, and blowing air to clean things. I carry 50 ft hose on a reel, and a couple attachments

In a pinch can do coach tires by applying brakes to drop pressure, then pressure will build back up. Some have built an attachment on tire fill, which allows them to dump air causing governor to build pressure again.

I have a real air compressor at home, if ever need to fill coach tires.

Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried to use the onboard air on my tires, gave up after an hour and bought a small 120 volt unit. After burning them up I bought a Viair 12 volt unit.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your picture shows a compressed air quick disconnect but others have stated it won't work very well for pumping up tires. I bought a nice pancake air compressor at Home depot for $99. Goes to 165psi and does fine topping off 22.5" tires to 100psi as recommended by Tiffin. Takes very little time as the tank is small but refills quickly. I also use it for everything else that needs pumped up. Store it in DS front basement
compartment.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

As mentioned, in a pinch it could get enough air in your MH tires to maybe get you to a location with a good compressor.

I carry a air hose with the male portion of the quick connect attached. I also have a female quick connect on the other end of the hose, so I can easily switch to a few different low pressure air tools (air chuck,...).

There are a few different quick connect sizes or configurations out there. You may have to try a couple to figure out which one works with the female quick connect on your MH.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Actually, that chuck will work perfectly for airing up the coach tires. You need to create a special little adapter to allow you to control the engine compressor while you inflate your tires.

(Sorry I don't have a picture to post). You need to add a pressure gauge and a valve before your tire inflator valve. When you are inflating a tire, when the pressure from the MH drops to nearly equal the tire pressure, you open the valve to allow the MH pressure to drop enough to engage the compressor. When the MH pressure is back to 120 psi or so, start the inflation process again. You can get all the parts you need at Harbor Freight.

If you still want to buy a compressor to tote around, make sure you get one that is capable of at least 150 psi.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:54 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have this set up to use in an emergency. The motorhome has to be running to use the on board air so I don't use it for bike tires, etc., as I don't want to have to fire up the engine. But just in case I am on the road and need to air up one of the coach tires.
You have to have a way to bleed off some air to get the compressor to air up the on board tanks. I plug in my 50 foot air hose then add this, it has a way to bleed off some air so the compressor will kick on and a way to see what the PSI is.
lakefront5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:09 AM   #8

There are several YOUTUBE videos about this. They give some information you might find helpful.

I just put togetether a inflation device shown on a youtube video with a pressure gauge and air valve. I find it is not working too well and I have to play with it to get it to fill to 110 psi. Its slow going.

I am now going to buy a small compressor that will do the job. Im tired of messing with the rv compressor.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I saw the youtube video with the gauge and bleed valve setup. I may give that a try. I've got a Porter Cable compressor at home but I don't really want to lug that around on a trip.

Thanks again!
aldera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Squeeze Air Chuck

My air chuck fell apart this week. The new one I got at NAPA is classified as an "open chuck" which allows air to pass whether the chuck is attached to a tire valve or not. They grilled me to make sure I had the valve that I must squeeze to inflate the tire. (They called it a "push button" handle.) I haven't used it with my onboard compressor, but it worked great with my pancake unit. I think that all I will have to do to bleed off the coach air and turn the compressor on is to just push the handle and spill out some air. The original chuck wouldn't pass air unless it was connected to a tire. I like this one better.

I would also think that the coach air would be better, since it has been run through the coach's air drier. I'm a little over my head here, but it makes sense to me.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy a standalone compressor, imho...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Depending on your tires and coach weight, 100# may not be the correct pressure. Google your brand of tire, and weigh your coach to get the proper pressure. For me, it's 115 PSI. Quite a difference from the 100# that Tiffin recommends.

Underinflation can lead to premature and catastrophic tire failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
Your picture shows a compressed air quick disconnect but others have stated it won't work very well for pumping up tires. I bought a nice pancake air compressor at Home depot for $99. Goes to 165psi and does fine topping off 22.5" tires to 100psi as recommended by Tiffin. Takes very little time as the tank is small but refills quickly. I also use it for everything else that needs pumped up. Store it in DS front basement
compartment.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:08 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
4-corner weighing

Good point, Bus. And you should weigh each corner separately. There are YouTubes on how to do that at some commercial scales, but I had mine done at Freightliner in Gaffney.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That connection can be used for many things,but it is intended for a air connection from a tow truck to release park breaks when towing.

VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote