Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Allegro 31 SA CCC

DW and I went out and looked at a the new Allegro 31 SA. I was rather blown away when I saw that the CCC at 1650 pounds (this is Class C territory). The CCC is determined after accounting for a full tank of water, full propane and 4 passengers. I looked at a 3 slide 34' 5" Winnebago, and the CCC was considerably more. I showed this to the dealer and they were surprised and agreed that the 31 SA CCC seemed really low. They are supposedly contacting Tiffin for clarification or more information. It was pretty well optioned out, though there are not really a lot of options one can get. For the ones out there with 31 SA or 32 CA, does this pretty much match what your rigs's weight?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #2

When I was first looking at Class As a salesperson called me with a recent trade that had just come on their lot, 37', CCC of 512 yes five hundred and twelve pounds! tile floors, hardwood cabinets, double door fridge, 3 slides, 3 a/cs . With my wife and I in it we couldn't carry a six pack in the fridge.
Overloaded units are made every day , it's up to us not to buy them.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
According to the Tiffin website, the 31SA is a 2-slide, 33'-5 coach on a 22,000 lb Ford chassis. We have a 2-slide, 37'-5 Allegro Bay 37DB on a 24,000 lb chassis, and our CCC is about 3400 lb. so 1650 lb CCC for the shorter 31SA Allegro on a lighter chassis sounds about right.

One thing to keep in mind is the 31SA has rather large holding tanks for a 33' motorhome (70 gal fresh, 50 gal black, 66 gal gray), and if you don't travel with the tanks full, you will gain a considerable amount of weight capacity. Traveling with the fresh water tank 1/4 full will save over 400 lb giving you over 2000 lb of actual weight capacity.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #4

The Winnie I was talking about in my original post was the Sightseer 33C. It is on a 220" chassis, foot longer and three slides and has a CCC of 3500 lbs. It is also the subject of an article in the June 2013 edition of Motorhome magazine. Any idea how they do it? They really are pretty nice inside.

thanks
ed
Old 04-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
According to the Tiffin website, the 31SA is a 2-slide, 33'-5 coach on a 22,000 lb Ford chassis. We have a 2-slide, 37'-5 Allegro Bay 37DB on a 24,000 lb chassis, and our CCC is about 3400 lb. so 1650 lb CCC for the shorter 31SA Allegro on a lighter chassis sounds about right.

One thing to keep in mind is the 31SA has rather large holding tanks for a 33' motorhome (70 gal fresh, 50 gal black, 66 gal gray), and if you don't travel with the tanks full, you will gain a considerable amount of weight capacity. Traveling with the fresh water tank 1/4 full will save over 400 lb giving you over 2000 lb of actual weight capacity.
When I first saw this post I was thinking uh-uh. Then I started researching and figuring out numbers. Along with the full water tank the CCC is figured with 4-154 pound passengers. Being it will only be the two of us there is another 308 pounds along with the partially filled water tank it should be around 2400 pounds. The DW and I combined weight is 334 which is 28 pounds over the estimated weight.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 32CA and the posted CCC is 2531. Since the 31sa is a foot longer than mine, the lower CCC is feasible. However, in real life, the numbers will be different.

Fully loaded, 1/2 tank of water, full tanks of fuel and propane, 1/2 tank each of grey and black, a frig full of food, wife, large dog, and all the other junk, we are still 1200 lbs below our GVWR.

If you are looking at a Tiffin coach on a dealers lot, open up the bedroom cabinets. You will find the official weigh sheet from the factory when it was built. Look at the dry weight and subtract that from the GVWR (22,000 lbs) and that will give you a better idea of your capacity.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
DW and I went out and looked at a the new Allegro 31 SA. I was rather blown away when I saw that the CCC at 1650 pounds (this is Class C territory). The CCC is determined after accounting for a full tank of water, full propane and 4 passengers.
Where did you get the 1650 # number from?
The sticker required by law specific to each coach made list the OCCC. This figure states the maximum allowable weight of all occupants (including the driver), plus the weight of all food, tools, full fresh water tanks, full LP-Gas tanks and personal belongings.* The maximum allowable weight of passengers is based on the number of seat belted positions in the motorized RV.* The regulation also states that the “tongue weight of towed trailer counts as cargo.”

This number is specific to each coach based on options.

Based on your statement above, the OCCC for this coach must be something like:
1650 + 584 (70 gal of water) + 800 (4 passengers) = 3034

The best way to compare across coaches is the listed OCCC. I have had dealers email me a photo of the sticker in the coach.

The Winnebago Sightseer 33C I was looking at has an OCCC of 3892. It is also on the Ford 22K chassis, but is 34' 7" long vs 33' 5" for the Allegro 31SA.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by szn8tt View Post
Where did you get the 1650 # number from?
The sticker required by law specific to each coach made list the OCCC. This figure states the maximum allowable weight of all occupants (including the driver), plus the weight of all food, tools, full fresh water tanks, full LP-Gas tanks and personal belongings.* The maximum allowable weight of passengers is based on the number of seat belted positions in the motorized RV.* The regulation also states that the “tongue weight of towed trailer counts as cargo.”

This number is specific to each coach based on options.

Based on your statement above, the OCCC for this coach must be something like:
1650 + 584 (70 gal of water) + 800 (4 passengers) = 3034

The best way to compare across coaches is the listed OCCC. I have had dealers email me a photo of the sticker in the coach.

The Winnebago Sightseer 33C I was looking at has an OCCC of 3892. It is also on the Ford 22K chassis, but is 34' 7" long vs 33' 5" for the Allegro 31SA.

The number came from a spec sheet in the bedroom wardrobe. It read something like this:

19150 - coach weight
584 - Water
57 - Propane
600 - 4 passenegers
1650 - OCC

I wish now I had taken a picture of it. Also water is an issue, we do dry camp.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #9

I looked at another 31 SA today at a different dealer. The dealer was having an "event" at a mall close to where we live so I thought I would stop by. The CCC on that 31 SA was 2650, over a thousand pounds more. The base weight of the coach was also a thousand pounds ligter. The only difference that I could see between two, was the one that had a 2650 lbs CCC (that one I looked at today) had a booth dinette, stove/oven, and a microwave. The one with the 1650 lbs CCC had a stove top (no oven), a convection/micorwave, and a table and chairs. Looking at the options sheet, I can't seen anything that could account for the a thousand pound difference.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #10

31 SA Weight

This thread got me thinking. I pulled out the document (actual weights) that was included with our 31SA. We have 5KW generator, sleeper with recliner, 4 door refrigerator.
Numbers are:
GVWR- 22,000
minus unloaded coach (but includes a full tank of fuel)- 7,876
minus fresh water- (81 gallons @ 8.3 lbs per gallon)- 672
minus propane (24.2 gallons@ 4.2lbs/gallon)- 81
minus (sleeping capacity weight 4@154)- 616
equlas CCC of 2754.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
31 SA Weight

Since we are considering 2014 model of this coach, do any of you have additional info to share about the cargo carrying capacity since the previous post on this thread? Or information on the approach to calculate it? It seems that varies a lot as well. I am moving up from a Class C to get away from the "almost overloaded" condition.

Many thanks..
Old 10-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliedo02 View Post
Since we are considering 2014 model of this coach, do any of you have additional info to share about the cargo carrying capacity since the previous post on this thread? Or information on the approach to calculate it? It seems that varies a lot as well. I am moving up from a Class C to get away from the "almost overloaded" condition.

Many thanks..
Calliedo02, unless there is an option of ordering the coach on a 24,000lb. chassis , traveling with, little or, no water would be the only way to get more CCC.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliedo02 View Post

Many thanks..
Tffom/

Not long after I posted my original post, I contacted Tiffin. As long as I was willing to pay, they would be more than willing to put the 31 SA on a 24K chassis. I received PM from somebody who had a 32CA put on a 24K chassis and never regretted it.

ed
Old 10-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #14

Local dealer has a 31SA on the lot (Reines in Manassas). Went to look during a furlough day at took the attached pic. It is built on a 24K chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1262865790.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	47806