Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Allegro 34 PA House Battery Removal

I have a new 2016 Allegro 34 PA and want to remove the house batteries to bring them to my home so that I can keep them charged over the winter. I've just returned from the MH and I've found that once I remove the screws holding it to the sidewalls, the metal hold-down bar is too long to remove it from the access opening in the step. Without being able to get it out, it blocks the removal of the batteries. I'm figuring there must be a finesse element to getting that hold-down bar out but I sure didn't figure it out. I tried every which way to angle it out, but with no success. Can anyone let me know what the secret is?
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same question while I was at Tiffin having my 2016 36LA built . I asked the Tiffin Tech how to remove the batteries since they are so tight. As you point out, the metal shroud makes accessibility even more challenging.
He said to remove the step, then remove the metal shroud. this is done by removing the 4 screws located under the shroud lip. These short metal screws hold the shroud in place. Once removed, the batteries are more accessible.

So far, I have not had to remove my batteries.
Brianb131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mike,

If you are a member of the other Tiffin forum, try a search on "Battery Removal". There is an extensive post, with pictures, of how to do it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Brian and Roger. I'm going out to the Allegro tomorrow morning again to look in more detail at the underside of the step above the battery compartment. Attached shows how the four 6v batteries are shoe horned into the compartment. I was able to disengage the hold-down bar by removing just the two sidewall screws when I was at the coach yesterday. Tomorrow I'll try to see if I can actually remove the top of the step to permit removal of the batteries. The attached pictures show the batteries after I removed the "top hatch" on the step, but there is still the structure below that hatch that is preventing removal. I will let you know what I find. Hopefully I will find screws and attachment points similar to the photos in the thread that Roger mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-25 14.16.36.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	145372   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-25 14.16.47.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	145373  

Old 11-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Went out this morning. Just as you said... 4-screws holding the two upper framing pieces to the step structure. Remove those and access to the batteries is no longer an issue. I'm just waiting for a strap now to lift the batteries out. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mike,

Glad you got it figured out. My Allegro only had two house batteries - much easier to remove if needed. Our Phaeton has 6 but they are on a tray that slides out for access.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just need now to get the strap I ordered to remove the batteries. I plan to get them out next weekend when I can get out to the coach in the daylight again.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
tiffin Allegro 36LA how to remove coach battery

I was about to take a trip this weekend but found I have two dead 6V coach batteries that need to be removed but can't figure out how to get them out of the step battery box? The cross bar holding them down is too long for the narrow opening. the opening is also not large enough for the batteries to come up and out? Can someone tell me how to remove these?

any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Jim
DreamCatcherVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, removal