Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How tall are the drivers of your coach?
Under 5' 0 0%
5'-0" - 5'-6" 2 5.26%
5'-6" - 6'-0" 21 55.26%
Over 6'-0" 17 44.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Allegro 36 LA Short owners are Welcome...Must be under 6'-0"

If anyone is contemplating purchasing a Tiffin Allegro 36 LA they absolutely need to test drive prior to purchasing. Really take your time and setup the drivers seat exactly the way you think you'll be comfortable, When you think you have it the way you like it get out, walk round a bit and sit back down again. Now does it feel right? Here's why.......

The reason I am writing this is because I own a 2014 36LA, I'm 5'8" and I find getting into the seat and driving probably would be next to impossible if I was taller than 6'-0" The slide when retracted is way too close to the drivers seat and negates approximately 75% of the reverse travel on the seat. Also, forget about leaning back very much. Tiffin is aware how close the seat is they have a warning label stuck on the wall above the slide control that tries to warn you ahead of time about moving the seat forward before extending/retracting!

Someone (I suppose a potential purchaser) must have operated the slide on our unit prior to us buying our unit. The dealer repaired the scraps and tear that I discovered on the back of the FlexSteel chair, but failed to tell me about the broken trim on the slide that I discovered several days later after picking up the unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	50342

Sorry it's sideways, tilt your head to the left!

After writing to Tiffin...they have stepped up to the plate and once I speak to the parts department they will send me some replacement trim pieces.

The moral of the story "Get comfortable" as they say "measure twice and cut once"

Oh and one more thing...... I love my 36 LA!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Any Tiffin product which has a slide behind the driver and passenger has the same warning about pulling the driver seats forward to close the slides. I imagine most motorhomes are exactly the same.

Unlike car seats, MH seats tend to be much more chair-like and seating positions are much more upright. In fact, you want the steering wheel somewhat closer so you can rest your elbows on the arm rests. This reduces the constant corrections that many drivers feel they need to make and reduces fatigue.

I'm 5'10" and find that my seat is fairly far forward and away from the slide. I previously owned an Allegro 32CA and it was the same.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #3

My Newmar is the same way so it is not just a Tiffin issue
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

We had a 36 LA and now a Phaeton. We are both under 6', by 3 to 6 inches. In both coaches, we have needed to check all clearance issue before extending or pulling in the slides, including front seating.
I agree, this is not specific to Tiffin or to the 36 LA.
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Very interesting! I see so far most people are experiencing the same issue with different MH's other than the Allegro. We had a 2012 Georgetown prior to the Allegro but there was far more room even with the slide right behind the seat.

I'm going to start working on a slide lock-out that will prevent slide operation before the seat is moved forward. Should be simple enough similar to jack operation prior to engaging the parking brake. Without...... it's just an accident waiting to happen!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #6

Check Drivers seat position before buying

I have been looking at Winnebagos, Itascas, and Tiffens. If you are taller you need to check the drivers seat rear position with the slide in.

The clearance or distance varies by model and don't let the salesperson tell you that the front "Cage" design is the same as in all these coaches, including gassers, the front slide design position varies by up to 3 inches. The 36TGA has more room than the 38LA etc.

Same on Winnebagos.

Hope this helps.

Del
ItascaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijbs View Post
Very interesting! I see so far most people are experiencing the same issue with different MH's other than the Allegro. We had a 2012 Georgetown prior to the Allegro but there was far more room even with the slide right behind the seat.

I'm going to start working on a slide lock-out that will prevent slide operation before the seat is moved forward. Should be simple enough similar to jack operation prior to engaging the parking brake. Without...... it's just an accident waiting to happen!
I found something like this with a full square opening (not the smaller round) at Home Depot. The slide warning label is now on the outer flap that covers the slide toggle switch. Not completely fool proof but slows me down just long enough to remember why it is there.

Taymac MX1050Z Weatherproof Single Outlet Cover Outdoor Receptacle Protector, Bronze, Vertical Flat - Amazon.com
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to phredsee
As a safety feature, I've always made it a habit to check all clearances both inside and outside before operating and moving any piece of equipment, and that includes slides and so far have avoided any "accidents".

Now, if I can apply this same method prior to raising my head up when UNDER the slide outside when removing something from the storage compartment, my head wouldn't look like the trim piece in your photo!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #9

We even had the same issue with the driver seat and slide in our Class C. It is not a Tiffin issue, or even a Class A issue for that matter.
Some kind of reminder above the slide out switch is a very good idea!
We pick up our 2014 36LA on Monday, Nov. 25. So excited!!
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #10

I would rather have the maximum amount of room inside the slide room and deal with the driver seat issue. I adjust the drivers seat just so my beer belly has about an inch of clearance to the steering wheel. in this position the seat back even though it is slightly reclined still has a few inches of clearance to the side pillar trim piece. I am 6' tall.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijbs View Post
I'm going to start working on a slide lock-out that will prevent slide operation before the seat is moved forward.
GulfStream has been doing this for years on theirs.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #12

Hey Summerhouse, I was curious when you ordered your 36LA? We have been waiting on ours and just found out they don't plan to start building until December 11th. My dealership and Tiffin are pointing fingers at each other on who dropped the ball. I talk with Bob Tiffin and he said he would look at getting it pushed up. Just know it's aggravating, when your waiting and want to leave for Florida. I guess good things come to those who wait.
rambler5860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #13

Wow, how upsetting that would be! We ordered our coach on Saturday, Sept. 14 and the order was put in by our dealership on Monday, Sept. 16. Tiffin sent a 'confirmation of order' to the dealership either later that same day or the next day that they immediately forwarded on to us. Tiffin wanted to confirm that everything on the order sheet was correct, we approved it, and the order then in process.
Our salesman told us that Tiffin then notifies the dealership when the order gets an actual build date, and that usually took one to two weeks. We were notified when it got a build schedule. Tiffin sends updates to the dealership continuously. I suspect the problem is at the dealership level. In our circumstance the dealership received continuous updates that were forwarded to our salesman who in turn kept us updated weekly. Had there not been communication from Tiffin, the dealership, if 'on top of things', would surely be inquiring what was going on. Our coach arrived ahead of schedule at our dealership. I received an email from my salesperson that they were expecting it to arrive within the next few days, then received an email again stating that it arrived late that afternoon. I received email updates from my salesman weekly, forwarding the build process to me and a couple phone calls. Someone dropped the ball with your order alright, but doesn't sound like it was likely to be Tiffin.
I'm sorry you are going through that. It should be a fun and exciting time.
We are picking our coach up later this morning. Good luck, and please let me know how it goes for you.
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I find on my 06 Bay the driver seat cannot be moved back much at all. I seem to be real close to the wheel. I am 5, 7 and it is not much room Never the less, when I operate the slide switch, I watch the slide on the driver end to ensure the seat is clear. I do keep a waste basket next to driver seat and that thing seems to find its way in to the path.