Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Allegro 36LA Pre-inspection Walk-Through

Next month I will be doing my pre-inspection walkthrough on a ’15 Allegro 36LA.My question: What items or areas should I pay close attention to, during my inspection to find anything that needs to be fixed or touched up before taking it home?Also, is there anything that needed attention during your first months of usage for all 2013-2015 Allegros?
jrizz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

Read my sad story entry on 36la
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I sent you a PM
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #4

Grizz427. Most of us are sorry for your problems. We have a 2014 36la and have not had any major issues. Most of the problems we fixed with little effort and we're not a Tiffin problem. Supplier providing bad parts. So don't shoot all 36la open roads as junk.
new 2 rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by new 2 rv View Post
Grizz427. Most of us are sorry for your problems. We have a 2014 36la and have not had any major issues. Most of the problems we fixed with little effort and we're not a Tiffin problem. Supplier providing bad parts. So don't shoot all 36la open roads as junk.
I got the impression that most of the problems were self inflicted. True or not?
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

Allegro 36LA Pre-inspection Walk-Through

Quote:
Originally Posted by new 2 rv View Post

Same here. Best coach I have ever owned.

On the pre-delivery inspection make sure you check the entry door throughly. Try both locks and make sure it opens and closes easily. They usually need a couple of adjustments to get them right.
Tell the dealer to air the tires to 85 lbs. That is about 75% of max inflation which is recommended by tire experts not to go below. It will ride much better at this pressure than the 100 lbs my dealer or Tiffin had them aired to.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

Hopefully you can get ahold of 1) a copy of their PDI for review, often about 3 to 6 pages and 2) get ahold of a good comprehensive PDI list and redo it yourself BEFORE you take possession and transfer/approve funds. But, you should make this part of your contract conditions up front (best)...or just slow down the process Before pickup.

Once you drive down the road, fixing things take a lot more time and effort to arrange, sometimes unbearably...and I'm talking about all mhs in general.

You may need professional assistance to complete the PDI. If your PDI is not a lot more than 3 pages, it's not extensive enough. Newmar uses a 17 page checklist.

My PDI training as part of my current RVTechnician's course includes a 76 page technical suggestions and extensive PDI checklist, which includes a list of 32 tools a tech needs to complete the PDI.

So, it is kind of dealer's choice how far they go unless you step up and take some control and responsibility and interest.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #8

Sorry you would think they were self inflected. No not all of them bad news just the one I started with. But had you read the last entry the last thing to do is the brakes.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #9

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding on my problems but I think a lot of it was the dealer we purchased unit from. We ran in to another fellow when at Tiffin repair center who also purchased a unit from the same dealer and had a lot of the same problems just kind of seemed a little funny. As I was told they were burrowing parts from one unit to fix another. Hate to think that had anything to do with either of our units. We had a 2008 Fred we traded in because My wife loved the floor plan of the 36la and for all the trouble we had she wouldn't trade up now even if she had to. No long trips this year but in 2016 we leave in Feb. and won't be back till Oct.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #10

Forgot to mention one thing you should check that will be of great importance to you. Close the door and take a hose and spray all around the door full force and look for leaks. they adjusted our door four times and couldn't get it to sit just wright. The last time it didn't leak till after we left and we were driving down the road with water raining in over the top of door. They ended up putting a whole new door and frame on it because they told us it was done wrong at factory. Also new paint job.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #11

Pay attention to the gap between the entry door and its frame, look for a uniform gap all the way around the door. This was a problem with the early 2014s but they have changed doors since then, or so I was told. My door never leaked but was too tight and wouldn't close without a lot of effort, squeaked like heck moving down the road. We had more problems than most, I think, but other than the door every problem we had was with a outsourced component and not with Tiffin. I guess Tiffin could have purchased better components but I didn't pay for a Phaeton so there's that. There was a time when I cussed it every trip because it seemed like every trip, something else failed but after a year we love it. The fact that I'm only 45 minutes from Red Bay helps too. Sat what you will about Tiffin, they will try to repair your MH to the customers satisfaction.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Boy did this thing get off topic.

Normally during a PDI, you will want to look for any fit and finish problem, learn what all the controls/switches are for, test drive the rig, and then sign the papers. No money should change hands until you are satisfied with the rig.

Exterior:
- Examine the paint for any flaws
- Open and close all bay doors, check the interior of the bays for fit and finish
- Learn all of the wet bay connections
- Check the generator and learn how to check the oil, where the circuit breakers are, where the start switch is. Start the generator (unplug shore power first).
- Examine the engine compartment. Learn where to check and add all of the fluids.
- Find the house batteries and ask about maintenance

Interior:
- Open and close each window
- Open and close each cabinet door and drawer
- Learn what every switch does
- Learn how to turn on the windshield wipers, mirror heater, headlights, cruise control
- Learn where the awning switch is and actually put the awning out
- Learn the leveling system
- Operate the slides - pull them in, take your test drive, and then, when you return, relevel the coach and put the slides out.
- Learn the propane system
- If you ordered a heat pump, learn how that operates
- Satellite - learn to operate the dish or dome, the sat receiver, and select programming on the TVs
- Learn where all of the electrical breakers (AC and DC are located)
- If you have an inverter, learn how to use it, turn it on and off, and so on

I'm sure others can add to this, but this should get you started.

And if you haven't done so, buy yourself a good surge protector/ems system (like a Progressive Industries HW50C) and install it or get it installed before your first trip.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:01 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my question. I sold my previous Class A gasser and ordered the Allegro 36LA. I know about the basic operation of the motorhome. I am looking for any areas that you found needing some repair when you did your inspection, or failed soon after. Also any fit or finish that was not up to par.
jrizz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I have 2013 35 QBA and I think a lot of the systems are the same. I would check for leaks in the hydraulic compartment. On the 35 Qba the inverter and a 12 volt panel is in the first compartment on the drivers side. If yours is the same there was a grounding block in the very back top right corner of that compartment. I would check that grounding block. Many of the wires were not properly placed under the lugs and the lugs were not tightened. Also the if it has an Onan 7000 generator they are very sensitive to low oil. Keep the oil topped off.
dabrooks is online now   Reply With Quote