Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would love to hear from any owners of an Allegro FRED specifically about MPG and cockpit niose. How's the ride? Do you tow with it? How does it handle the hills? Mountains? We are thinking of moving up to a diesel and the Bay looks like something I would be interested in. Thanks.

Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #2

We recently bought one and am happy with it. That said, we have not put a lot of miles on it so far, but we don't find the noise a issue at all. Can't comment about the mountains at all, but on hills we have driven on, it's not a issue. I'd suggest going to tiffinrvnetwork.com and posing the question. Lots of experience there. Not affilated with Tiffin, so you'll see lots of comments. That's what I did.

Gouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #3

We have an 07 Allegro Bay 35TSB FRED purchased spring 07. We have,so far, been happy with our choice - we are sunbirds so we live in the motorhome all summer.Have not been in Western Mountains but had no issues at all in North Georgia,Carolinas or Smokies.Noise is not a big issue except when transmission cooling fan (I think that is what it is)comes on during extensive mountain/hill driving, but that is only for a limited time. Otherwise we can listen to radio and/or carry on a normal conversation while running down the road. We average 10-11 mpg towing CRV try to keep rpms about 1900. Flat Florida or flat Indiana we do 1-2 mpg better.Powerwise, on hills/mountains we tend to pass gasser mh and semis going up on long grades and get passed by diesel pushers.We bought the FRED because our budget would not allow a dp and the FRED had more ccc than same coach with gas. During our summer living we were 500# under max weight (2 people,2 dogs) with all needed to live comfortably - never once did we say "wish we had brought ______".Not sure the gas would have allowed us to do that.Good luck with your choice - suggest you test drive several units before buying.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #4

I am lucky enough to drive many chassis, and in my experience it is the best ride when comparing:
FRED to Workhorse to Ford

It does not ride like an air-ride, but the stability, control, and handling are better than any other shock and spring chassis I have driven.

2002 25' Mallard Trailer
kampingkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Most FRED owners I've ever seen are very happy with their FREDs. But, you should be aware that there is a difference between the Allegro FRED and the Allegro Bay FRED.

The 2009 Allegro Bay FRED has the 6.7 liter Cummins ISB with 340 HP and 660 ft-lb of torque. It's coupled to the Allison 2350 6 speed transmission and has a GCWR of 30,000 lbs.

The 2009 Allegro FRED uses the same 6.7 liter Cuumins ISB but it's detuned to 300 HP and 620 ft-lbs of torque. This is because it's coupled to the lighter duty Allison 2200 transmission, which limits it's GCWR to 26,000 lbs. It's a cost saving measure to keep the entry level Allegro FRED more affordable. The 300 HP ISB has more than enough grunt to pull most toads over the mountains but if you exceed 26K GCWR you are exceeding Allison's maximum ratings foir that particular transmission. For that reason alone I'd seriously lean towards the Allegro Bay if I were to get a FRED.

If you want details on these units, the spec sheets for these can be found in the RV Tech Library at http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/fliner_specs.htm.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #6

Cruzer, glad I have been following this discussion. Our 08 is 340 HP with a 2100 6 spd tranny , but I was told it is the 660 ft lb torque. Maybe I misunderstood. Can it be deciphered from the engine or chassis sn? The 08 AB Tiffin spec sheet doesn't even list the model (38TGB) we have.

Great info everyone.
Gouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You are correct. The '08 Allegro Bay used the 340/660 engine with the Allison 2100. In the 2008 model run the Allegro used the lighter Allison 2200 in that year and the detuned 300 HP engine.

Prior to the ULSD engine changes in the 2008 model year, the ISB was a 5.9 liter engine rated at 300 HP and 600 ft-lbs of torque. They were also mated to 5 speed Allison transmisions at that time. The 6 speeds came later on.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Craig, we have a 2008 32ba Fred. Just got it a couple of months ago. Will be set it up for towing this spring. No issues with hills or power. At 32' it was the size we wanted. ( larger rigs can't make it into most of the state parks in the northeast) It handles great and better then the gasers I test drove. The other owners who are towing are quite happy with their set up.
Dan
Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I have an '08 AB FRED, 37 QDB. With just under 4K miles on it, the worst fuel mileage I got was 10.7 towing my Jeep Cherokee. Cabin noise is somewhat noisy acceletrating & driving around town, but VERY VERY quiet on the highway. Previous coach was a V10 powered Class C that caused a lot of "Whatcha say?" between the wife & I. As someone else stated, when the clutch fan engages, it is rather loud, you notice it, but it's certainly acceptable. If I had to buy another coach tomorrow. I would buy the exact same coach!

Good Luck

MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote