RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #1

Allegro Bus 45LP MPG performance

I would appreciate hearing from any owners of the Allegro Bus 45LP as to what kind of MPG performance you are experiencing with and without a Toad. Thanks.

RobertBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBC View Post
I would appreciate hearing from any owners of the Allegro Bus 45LP as to what kind of MPG performance you are experiencing with and without a Toad. Thanks.
It's really to early to know much with ours - it's 3 weeks old so it's still in the engine break-in phase

Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, way too early, even our 2002 DSDP has only 38,000 miles and it's not broken in yet. We were supposed to be retired by now, sell the house and go full time. Just hasn't happened yet!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Seriously? You probably can plan on 4-6 mpg with everything broken in and towing a toad. Expect 1/2 to 3/4 mpg better without a toad. If mpg is a really big concern, you had better be looking at something else - like a 28' Breeze.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBC View Post
It's a heavy vehicle. It has the same engine in it regardless of its length (ergo, its weight) from 37' to 45'. Therefore the 45 footer is going to get less MPG than the others. But, it's .43 MILLION DOLLARS (MSRP) so your fungible asset level is high enough that fuel costs even @ 4-6 MPG won't break your bank. You can always toad a Ford C-Max which gets 45-55 MPG to "make up" for it and keep the enviro-whackos off your back. :-)
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Seriously? You probably can plan on 4-6 mpg with everything broken in and towing a toad. Expect 1/2 to 3/4 mpg better without a toad. If mpg is a really big concern, you had better be looking at something else - like a 28' Breeze.
Seems as though the new guy had a reasonable question. Not sure why you took it a different than that.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
4-6 mpg really. Hmm will have to reconsider the Tiffen then cause others in the same size are claiming 6-10. That's just about double right?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInAlberta View Post
4-6 mpg really. Hmm will have to reconsider the Tiffen then cause others in the same size are claiming 6-10. That's just about double right?
It has nothing to do with Tiffin. Mileage numbers are related to engine size and total weight being moved. If a salesman is trying to tell you that you are going to move a 50,000 lbs coach with 450 hp and get 10 mpg, you had better ask yourself, " What other things is he BS'ing me about?" 6 - 8 mpg would be reasonable. Buy the coach that fits your needs from a living point of view. The cost of fuel is actually one of your smaller costs overall.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
It has nothing to do with Tiffin. Mileage numbers are related to engine size and total weight being moved. If a salesman is trying to tell you that you are going to move a 50,000 lbs coach with 450 hp and get 10 mpg, you had better ask yourself, " What other things is he BS'ing me about?" 6 - 8 mpg would be reasonable. Buy the coach that fits your needs from a living point of view. The cost of fuel is actually one of your smaller costs overall.
The 6-10 number is based on owners claims that I have read in other forums. Not what a BS'ing salesman has said.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
DanInAlberta,

Switch off the imperial gallons and recalculate and use US gallons. Big heavy motorhomes with large Diesel engines get 4 - 6 miles/US gallon. Anyone who tells you they are getting better then that is using drugs. Since most motorhomes are powered by Cummins engines of the same size and horsepower anything better is pure BS. The bigger the engine, the lower the mileage. The heavier the coach, the lower the mileage.

I'll get back to my Really? question I was criticized for. People simply do not buy a 45 ft motorhome based miles per gallon. They are looking at amenities, livability, and the manufacture's service reputation.

And just for the record, my 32,000 lb motorhome, powered by an 8.9 L Cummins ISL with 380 hp and 1050 lbs of torque, gets 8.4 mpg - as long as the road is flat and the wind is not blowing too hard.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #11

Dan, I'll tell you what I get for mileage and I'm not on drugs although I did have a knee replacement last month. I have a 45' Entegra with the 450 hp Cummins and we get 8.2 mpg most of the time. We have gotten as little as 7.5 and as much as 8.8 due to varying terrain and wind.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Just curious - are you hand calculating your mileage or using the dash display?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

I'll get back to my Really? question I was criticized for. People simply do not buy a 45 ft motorhome based miles per gallon. They are looking at amenities, livability, and the manufacture's service reputation.
The original post simply asked about mpg performance. I think that is a reasonable thing to want to know. It didn't say anything about it being a buying consideration, nor did it say anything to suggest that amenities, livability or manufacturer's service reputation weren't important.

BTW, my earlier comment wasn't meant as a criticism, I just thought the original question seemed to be a valid one. You must not think it was.

Maybe the guy asking the question already has one of those rigs and is just curious how his compares. We don't know.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Just curious - are you hand calculating your mileage or using the dash display?
Mine is always mileage divided by gallons. I wish I did get what the computer says!

loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote