Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #1

Can anyone out there give me more information on the general wiring and hookup sequence on the audio-visual system in a 2008 Allegro Bus?

I know the King dome feeds 2 coax lines down, one for the front and one the back. (I don't know anything about the back setup) In the front system, this down feed line feeds the King Dome tuning box (behind the front TV) and another small switching box for the 110 satellite. From there the coax line appears to go to my DirecTV tuner box. From there I don't have a clue. I'm particularly interested in the 2 powered boxes near the top of the basement roof at the driver side first cargo door. What are they, and what do they do? I know if their power is removed, there is no TV picture.

I have a HDMI plug connected in at the rear of my TV. Also a complete set of component video plugs (R,B,G), with corresponding 2 stereo audio plugs, and a second set of stereo audio plugs. In addition, there is a coax antenna connection. I don't know which of these are feeds into the TV and which are actual TV outputs, and what components are on the other end of these lines. Throw in the antenna booster system, the three TV's (front, mid outside, and rear) and the off air antenna and my eyes cross.

Without a doubt the Tiffin A/V setup is a very sophisticated and complex system. I feel if I knew how it was strung together and what the components do, I might be able to take more advantage of the hardware. Unfortunately, the Tiffin book and wiring diagrams are no help.

Anyone out there that has deciphered the system?

John

2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40' QSP
2006 Chevrolet Colorado Toad
BlueOx Aventa LX Tow Bar
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Copilot Live Laptop 10 GPS
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #2

Can anyone out there give me more information on the general wiring and hookup sequence on the audio-visual system in a 2008 Allegro Bus?

I know the King dome feeds 2 coax lines down, one for the front and one the back. (I don't know anything about the back setup) In the front system, this down feed line feeds the King Dome tuning box (behind the front TV) and another small switching box for the 110 satellite. From there the coax line appears to go to my DirecTV tuner box. From there I don't have a clue. I'm particularly interested in the 2 powered boxes near the top of the basement roof at the driver side first cargo door. What are they, and what do they do? I know if their power is removed, there is no TV picture.

I have a HDMI plug connected in at the rear of my TV. Also a complete set of component video plugs (R,B,G), with corresponding 2 stereo audio plugs, and a second set of stereo audio plugs. In addition, there is a coax antenna connection. I don't know which of these are feeds into the TV and which are actual TV outputs, and what components are on the other end of these lines. Throw in the antenna booster system, the three TV's (front, mid outside, and rear) and the off air antenna and my eyes cross.

Without a doubt the Tiffin A/V setup is a very sophisticated and complex system. I feel if I knew how it was strung together and what the components do, I might be able to take more advantage of the hardware. Unfortunately, the Tiffin book and wiring diagrams are no help.

Anyone out there that has deciphered the system?

John

2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40' QSP
2006 Chevrolet Colorado Toad
BlueOx Aventa LX Tow Bar
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Copilot Live Laptop 10 GPS
Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Call Triple-H Electronics as they do a lot of the entertainment systems for Tiffin. One of the basement ceiling "black boxes" that you mentioned is the HDMI outfeed "splitter".

Unless you are having problems, I would leave it well enough alone. You can create untold problems by tinkering or movement of any cable connection or device. The complexity is only part of the problem; the real headache is the hidden route throughout the frame & substructure. I lost my off-air antenna while "examining my setup" & spent 2 days searching for the problem spot [only to find a loose diplex connection in a very hard-to-reach location]. I now am leery of tugging on anything that disappears into the dark recesses.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple H Electronics at 256-356-9671. Punch in X202 for David who takes care of these items for triple H. He is usually more than happy to help.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I just took out the King Dome and replaced it with a Winegard Trav'ler 3005 dish. Now I can get ALL the HD programs DirecTV offers.

The new setup works fine, but I realized I have no clue how Tiffin wired up the system, especially downstream of the DirecTV receiver.

We've moved all the A/V electronics and forward 2 TV's from the coach 110 power, and put in 4 additional deep cycle batteries, an inverter and a charging system to run the system. We also have a Hughes Net setup and since we do extensive boondocking, this electrical setup helps us manage our electrical loads when away from shore power.

I usually do OK on AC and DC, but the many electronics options available in the Bus are tougher to puzzle out.

Thanks again for the info. I'll call them when I have specific questions.

John
Old 10-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The HDMI booster is the heart of the TV system. The audio portions are less complex as they originate from the Panasonic surround sound/DVD player. The various speakers are located behind louvered panels near the ceiling at the PS and DS side; pantry, and dinette area.

The chassis radio is wired to the front upper DS and PS louvered cabinets and to the bedroom bed speakers.

Not sure how the coax and HDMI systems interface.