Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Unfortunately, Freightliner puts the DEF tank on the passenger side.
Maybe they used to, or still do on some, but my 2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX, on Freightliner chassis, has the DEF tank on the driver's side.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2013 36GH with the same issue. I saw that Walmart also sells a 5 gal. yellow jug for diesel with a smaller nozzle than the red gas model. Has anyone tried this yellow jug for DEF, wondering if it fits the nozzle correctly. Also with the slide out, not sure if this would work or not....
denyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #17

I spoke to the manager of a Flying J and he told me that turning around and pulling in backwards is against company policy in the next breath he said if the pumps were not busy it would no be a problem. There is a Hess station at RT95 exit 1 that does not mind at all if you do a flip to fill your DEF
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #18

Here's a link with the nozzle cap to enable you to pump into a plastic container: DEF / Urea Nozzles (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) - OPW, PIUSI, GPI - John M. Ellsworth Co., Inc. It's $26 and fits on the end of the pump nozzle, bottom left image on the page. Good luck
Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
When I need DEF I turn around. Since many stations do not have DEF at the pumps, that is when i stop at a Flyin J. I also have two 5 gal jugs that I fill at the same time and store in a bay. They are plastic and I have never had a problem filling. Didn't even know they needed a collar. That gives me 23 gal. and that lasts a long time. If someone told me that turning around was against their policy, I would say "OK" I can buy elsewhere and leave.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #20

DEF fill on RV's is a classic example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. A true design screw up, but they're working on it. The Buss' with the tag axle and side radiator in the Tiffin line still fill only from the passenger side. Rear radiator new rigs now have a driver side tank and fill. We use Wal Mart 5 gal camping water jugs and then transfer to the bus with a $5 drill pump at our convenience. For Alaska trips I also carry 2 1/2 gal jugs that I refill from the bulk pumps as DEF in AK and Canada is expensive and bulk pumps are hard to find in Canada. No bulk pumps in AK this summer at all.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 2 1/2 gal jug that I bought (with DEF included) at Walmart for about $13. I refill this at Flying J at about $3 per gallon each time I get fuel, then pour it into my DEF tank at my leisure. It is on the light and flimsy side as it was meant to be a throwaway, but it has a perfect spout on it for filling the DEF tank, and has held up well now through about 5 refills. I expect it will be shot after another 5 or 10 uses, but then I will just go back to Walmart and get another.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
DEF fill on RV's is a classic example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. A true design screw up, but they're working on it. The Buss' with the tag axle and side radiator in the Tiffin line still fill only from the passenger side. Rear radiator new rigs now have a driver side tank and fill. We use Wal Mart 5 gal camping water jugs and then transfer to the bus with a $5 drill pump at our convenience. For Alaska trips I also carry 2 1/2 gal jugs that I refill from the bulk pumps as DEF in AK and Canada is expensive and bulk pumps are hard to find in Canada. No bulk pumps in AK this summer at all.
I'm not sure it's a design screw-up ... although a fix would be easy to engineer. I suspect the Cummins installation requirements are for the tank to be as close as possible to the engine exhaust ... which is where the tank is. Then either Tiffin didn't do any human factors engineering, or, at the time, the industry hadn't sorted out where it was going to put DEF pumps at truck stops ... so the tank is on the wrong side of the coach for the current infrastructure. (To be fair, 99+% of truck stop users are trucks with the fuel tank and DEF tank at the front drivers side ... close to the engine.)

A fix would be pretty easy, it just needs a little real estate towards the rear of the drivers side, large enough to put a flap and DEF tank filler similar to the current diesel filler. The DEF tank could stay where it is, you just route a cross-over pipe from the drivers side. It could even have a sleeve fitting at the port where it enters the tank to ensure DEF in the cross-over pipe drains into the tank, to prevent the fluid staying in the line, in a hot environment ... and also not overfilling the tank.

I'm hoping that Tiffin come up with such a design change, that can be retrofitted. Until then I'm going to do the turn around trick (without becoming a social outcast at truck stops) ... after all, it's not something that has to be done every day, so I can live with it.
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
how about backing in when you need def ? just wondering if that's a solution ?

you wouldn't be going against traffic and the filler neck is on the correct side
Old 11-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
The work around is to use a portable tank. However, why can't you use the pump from the lane on your right? Seems like you would have enough hose from the adjacent lane to fill yours. Of course the ultimate fix is to buy a 2014 model - all of Tiffin's diesels have the DEF on the drivers side now.
Sorry but the Bus is still on the passenger side in the 2014's. I think it's just the Phaeton 2014 that it's changed to the driver's side.

Sad because my husband and I are looking at a 2014 bus and that's one of our issues, as with many people out there.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #25

Backing in is not an option when your Toad is connected with a tow bar. Tiffin told me a full tank of DEF would last about 4000 miles. The amber light came on at 40200 miles. Not a bad estimate. I did have to use $13.00 Walmart pot of gold to make it to the Hess station in Kingsland, GA., they allow to pull in against the flow.
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
However, why can't you use the pump from the lane on your right? Seems like you would have enough hose from the adjacent lane to fill yours.
Impossible, the hoses are only about three feet long and barely reach a can placed on the ground.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #27

Quote:
... why can't you use the pump from the lane on your right? Seems like you would have enough hose from the adjacent lane to fill yours.
Actually you can. I've used this technique at Pilot and Flying J stations across the country, however, you are monopolizing 2 lanes and are not making many trucker friends in the process. Pilot and FJ pump hoses are on a reel.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote