Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Allegro Bus DEF filling

I've seen a number of posts on this subject, but I would appreciate any thoughts on the design and operating process around the placement of the diesel and DEF tank filling locations.

The 45 LP has both driver and passenger side diesel fillers. However, don't try to use the passenger one with those fast flow rate nozzles (or even a regular flow rate pump) ... I ended up wearing a lot (!) of my first fill-up when the cross-over pipe surged! The drivers filler is OK, it's positioned right for most truck stops and can handle the high flow rates. That's great, until you also need to fill the DEF tank, which is on the opposite side of the coach, behind the tag axle. At a minimum you have to move forward ... however, I haven't found a bulk DEF pump with a long enough hose to reach from the drivers to the passengers side, even trying to use the nozzle from the next aisle over doesn't work. Our solution was to talk to the pump attendant, then get their OK to pull forward, turn around and enter the pumps from the wrong direction. It works when the lanes are not too busy, but is a no-no when there's a line of trucks waiting to use the pumps.

Am I making this way too complicated, or is there a way that I'm missing ... other than filling from those pre-packaged jugs?
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #2

That seems like poor engineering to me.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
paz

Although I don't have a diesel, I have read a lot of complaints about this. Unfortunately, Freightliner puts the DEF tank on the passenger side. I don't know about the Tiffin Powerglide chassis, or which one you have.

I did read in one thread about a possible work-around solution to buying DEF in the more expensive plastic jugs. The person said he either re-filled a plastic jug that originally held DEF or purchased a larger, heavier jug. He filled the plastic jug from the DEF pump enabling him to get the bulk price, and then used the jug to fill the DEF tank.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The work around is to use a portable tank. However, why can't you use the pump from the lane on your right? Seems like you would have enough hose from the adjacent lane to fill yours. Of course the ultimate fix is to buy a 2014 model - all of Tiffin's diesels have the DEF on the drivers side now.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If only we'd waited for the 2014 model ....

I tried to use the DEF pump from the adjacent lane, but it's not just a simple hose arrangement. This was at a Pilot/Flying J, I also checked out a couple of other truck stops, they have a similar set-up. Each pump has two hoses, diesel and DEF, the DEF handle and nozzle are behind a plastic cover that lifts up when you select a DEF delivery. The free portion of the hose is fairly short, maybe only 6 to 8 feet, and is clamped to a metal arm that lifts up and towards the vehicle in that aisle ... there's no additional hose you can pull out. This provides plenty of access if you're using it in the correct aisle, but it won't even reach as far as the center of the island when you try to cross over to your vehicle in the next aisle over.

I guess I will need to check out other bulk DEF pumps, maybe there are different designs out there. I'll have plenty of opportunities, I only need a DEF fill-up every 4,000 miles or so.

Maybe Tiffin will come up with some sort of retrofit to allow driver's side DEF filling?
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I guess I'd just use the jug then. Seems to be the consensus on tiffinrvnetowork.com is to refill the 2.5 gal Walmart jugs. The 5 gal ones are too hard to manage.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I fill up with DEF all the time at Flying J using the DEF pump on the opposite lane. Since I travel alone I have a trick I use. While filling up with Gas I use the waiting time to open up my DEF door (on passenger side behind tag). I pull the windshield wash bucket that flying j has at their stops, lean the handle backwards in the bucket. Now i'm staged for my next step but to save time also before gassing is complete, i go to pump on opposite lane closest to PS , get DEF pump ready which precludes any trucker getting in there. I Go back to coach , start up, pull the coach up slowly watching in right side view camera and mirror until the DEF door starts to nudge the handle that i set up in the bucket. I dont damage , scratch anything/spill anything - then just go out grap the def handle at the pump because my door is at the right spot to reach . Lot less hastle than the portable jug routine and get the cheap fill price. I do carry a 2.5 gallon jug with DEF for emergencies but never had to use it

Before this method I used to overshoot (can't back up due to tow) or undershoot (running back and forth).

Yeh a little nuisance but dont have to do it that often
Old 09-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #8

Sounds like more hassle than a portable jug to me. And kinda rude tying up two lanes.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Sounds like more hassle than a portable jug to me. And kinda rude tying up two lanes.
The whole process filling with gas and def takes 15 minutes tops. Truckers are on their lanes doing nothing buying food filling out logs and we are waiting to get in a single line

I'm not tying up 2 lanes. There's usually an empty one next to me or if I ask a trucker politely if I can take 2 minutes to fill up def he or she has always said ok. You'd be tying up one lane longer by jockeying tubs back and forth and filling it up for 15 minutes.
I'm hardly rude and would never implicate another irv2 member being one offering helpful advise or hints at a common problem and take offense at your remark!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #10

I guess I read it wrong then. It just seemed long and complicated.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I have not been able to get the Flying J pump to fill my portable container. I fuel, then select DEF but the DEF pump does not run. What am I doing wrong?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I have not been able to get the Flying J pump to fill my portable container. I fuel, then select DEF but the DEF pump does not run. What am I doing wrong?
after you select DEF you also need to push an extra DEF button (big button i believe its below the lcd display) which turns the DEF pump on? I did the same thing a few times . I think its a fail safe
Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
From what I have read, there is a magnetic collar that has to go on the pump nozzle to fill a portable jug. The DEF tank in the MH has the magnetic sensor in the tank filler. This is to prevent accidental usage of DEF in the fuel tank.

Some station have the collar for you to use to fill a portable container.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
From what I have read, there is a magnetic collar that has to go on the pump nozzle to fill a portable jug. The DEF tank in the MH has the magnetic sensor in the tank filler. This is to prevent accidental usage of DEF in the fuel tank.

Some station have the collar for you to use to fill a portable container.
I read that too, but many posts seem to indicate that people are filling containers without it. If the collar is needed, does anyone know where I can buy one to avoid the hassle of having to search for one at each fillup?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote