Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allegro Camp

I recently (10/10) tried to stay at the camp at Red Bay. The only sites available were the back ins over by the service building with water and electric. After hooking up the 50 amp power, my hard wired Progressive Industries EMS tripped off for high voltage. 135 Volts. I tried the 30 amp, same 135 volts. I tried another power receptical and got a reading of 137 Volts.

I spoke with the office staff and they knew of the problem and said I shouldn't have installed the hard wired and that way I could have by-passed the EMS. They further stated, the power company assured them that 135-137 Volts would not damage anything on the mh.

We moved on down the road. Even with the customer service Tiffin is known for, I don't think they would have replaced the electronics because of my stupidity.

Oh...the reason I was there, I'm was interested in buying a Tiffin and wanted to do the plant tour. Now I'm not so sure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never bank on what "office staff" advise as it is far outside their expertise [evident by the wrong advice you received]. Problems often happen with power supply regardless of where you happen to hook-up. That's why you and I have the P.I. EMS in the first place. Like your's, mine is hardwired, and for very excellent reasons. It's best to be safe & not risk the consequences...

Sadly, a lot of well-intentioned advice is out there, being dispensed as truth. It reminds me of the grade school example in which a rumor is started at one end of the classroom and whispered ear-to-ear until the last pupil stands up and recites what he had just received. The end result is light years away from what the initial rumor had been; to the extent than not even one key word survived the pass-around!

It's unfortunate you had a bad experience, as the plant tour is a very educational one, regardless of what manufacture you happen to have.