Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

Allegro Info?

We are planning to downsize from a 41' Dutch Star to a smaller gas motorhome. We have been looking at the Allegro 35 qba. We have been impressed by the Tiffin reputation and stayed at their "campground" last year as an SOB (Some other brand!) . Had a great time. Anyone have any comments on the Allegro on the ford chassis as a choice for a relatively simple but full featured motorhome.
Thanks, Gary
GARYMC74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #2

Gary,

We have an 08 Allegro 32LA on the Ford chassis. We have about 14000 miles with little problems. The problems we had were taken care of at Red Bay even though it was out of warranty. Much better that the way were treated when we owned a Gulfstream. We've been to the mountains, the coast and points in between. No performance issues and getting about 7.6 mpg at 62-65 mph. I don't think you will be unhappy with a Ford/Tiffin MH.

Good luck,
RJ
RJEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you're interested in staying with a diesel you might also want to look at the Allegro Breeze or RED. Tiffin Motorhomes
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the response. We have tired of the maintenance cost and headaches in keeping up a large diesel so gas looks good for us.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My brother-in-law picked up an Allegro 34TGA and they are full timing in it. It's a good motorhome and the 35QBA will be just as good but with a different floor plan. I actually did a review on one at RVcruzer.com - 2009 Allegro 35QBA Review For a bunk bed coach this is a great choice.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #6

We have a 34TGA and love it. We have had it in the mountains and were able to keep up with or pass DP on the assent. The only drawback I see is the ride, springs will never ride as nice as bags, but for our needs the Ford works. We also tow a car and get 7 to 7.5 traveling around 60.
Now with the improved basement pass through and 80 gal fuel tank it is a very nice unit for the money. As for the Tiffin reputation, when we took delivery we did exactly what you are not suppose to do, we loaded it up and went to CA. 6500 miles with no major issues, that says a lot about their quality. Hope this helps!
Doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #7

Thanks all for the helpful input. Guess we will order one this next week. But......

It is unlikely that we will ever have any adults sleeping on the "couch". We ordered a Flexsteel jacknife sofa for our Dutch Star and have found it to be pretty comfortable. I am having trouble finding out much about the standard couch on the Allegro. Everyone seems to have the upgraded Halo Leather Air bed. What is "Halo Leather" anyway? Is it like Ultra leather? The Air bed seems nice but the $980 upcharge gave us a little pause! Is it worth it just for seating?

Thanks again
Gary
Old 01-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #8

Gary,

It seems that the couch air bed option was about 320.00 (list) on our 08, 32LA. It is well worth that cost. Will sleep two short adults just fine. I don't understand why it is 980.00 now unless it something completely different.

RJ
Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #9

Gary,

Just had another thought. Maybe the difference in my 08 is the Halo Leather. Mine us just cloth. No leather.

RJ
Old 01-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #10

The jackknife cloth is standard and the Halo Leather is +$280.00. The air coil halo is +$980 over standard cloth jacknife. I guess what we are wondering is whether the Air coil sofa is any more comfortable than the jacknife just for sitting?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #11

We have the leather sofa with the air bed feature and it is nice for sitting or laying on, never tried the other one so can't say if one is better than the other. There is some space behind the sofa for pillows or whatever. The one thing we did replace was the swivel chair, we bought a euro recliner like they use in the Allegro Bus, we felt this worked better for our needs. FYI- we haven't actually used the sofa bed but do keep extra bedding just in case!
Doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #12

Gary,

In 08 the only option to my knowledge was an inflatable air mattress which one would only inflate for a bed. It helps and was worth the money. Makes no difference when just sitting on the sofa.

RJ
Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Love our New Allegro

Know this is a late post by the dates of the original however going for it anyway. We too just downsized having owned two different 40 foot DP Monaco's, Dynasty and Diplomat.
Major traveling in both however after seven months of travel last year,, for our "back to our roots" needs we have desire to once again camp inside National Parks and actually stay in Yellowstone. Our two big riggs would not allow us to do so.
Much research we found and chose the 2011 Allegro Open Road 34 TGA. This coach is everything we wanted, hoped for and will need. Its a "big coach" in a shorter version. The quality of Tiffin is remarkable, high end features at affordable price. The dealer was great and we have been impressed with Tiffin's Customer Service.
The info pack etc they have simply thought of everything.
Outside of driving it home from Reno, Nevada to Oregon we have yet to hit the road in it. But we are awaiting dry roads and we are heading out.
BarkAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #14

We bought a 2010 32BA in December. We previously owned a Winnebago Journey diesel and a Alpine Limited SE diesel coach and 6 gas rigs. We also got tired of the maintenance and had a myriad of problems with the Alpine so wanted to simplify our life. Have put about 3000 miles on the Allegro and like it very much. Fully loaded and towing our Jeep Cherokee I have been able to take all the hills along I5 in CA and OR at the same speeds or faster than with the Cat 330 in the Winnebago and Cummins 400 in the Alpine at the same fuel mileage.

The only issue seems to be the engine noise above 40000 rpm which is required to go above 45 mph on some of the grades.My wife complains that because of it, the radio is useless. We have no problem with the ride.

Wayne
wayne0 is offline   Reply With Quote