Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blecop View Post
Thanks Larock, great info. What's the approx. cost of that upgrade?
In Quebec, more expensive than in U.S. I would say about 600$ for the steering stabilyser, and about 500$ for the track bar. But a big big difference in handling and side winds. I cruise at around 60 mph, with a chevy HHR as toad.
larock55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a 2013 Tiffin 34 TGA Open Road, drove it from Phoenix to home, it was terrible. I attributed it to the wind. The following weekend we drove to Lake Powell and there and back I experienced only 10 minutes what would be considered none frightening to drive, swaying and swerving really white knuckle driving. Research of the net and forums shows similar experiences. I crawled under the chassis and all looks and feels tight, yet I see many are adding suspension add-ons.. Is this common for the 34 foot? What is the recommended add-ons, start with the rear first?? I see some reccomend nothing for the first x miles, I am afraid this alone would force me into a home!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
SCS......I would first make certain that your tire pressures are correct for the rigs weight. Next check the front end alignment. With chassis enhancements, I would suggest that you start from the rear end, possibly adding a rear trac bar. Then, if needed add a front trac bar and Safe-t-Plus or other similar steering control devise. But always remember that the coach is a big box going down the highway and the wind, road conditions and other traffic will effect it.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
SCS,
I'd also like to add that you need some additional driving time with your MH. When you first start driving a motorhome, you will over correct for each little nudge, bump, sway, etc. You will feel everything. What you need is the confidence you get with letting the chassis do it's thing, and the only way I know how to do that is drive it more.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #19

Also do the cheap handling fix. That will lessen the body roll.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
Also do the cheap handling fix. That will lessen the body roll.
I also recommend the "Cheap Handling Fix". It cost nothing and the improvement is fantastic!
Rikmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #21
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
Five Star Tuning Kit?? I am not familiar with this? Do you have he source so I can check it out? Thanks Steve S
Old 07-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
5startuning.com should do it for you.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #23

for better handling

talk to Roadmaster suspension about an aux. anti-sway bar. this coach needs it
wwhillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #24

Interesting. I, too, recently purchased a 2013 34TGA and was holding my breath on the steering issue. ... but Not a problem! My previous coach required the addition of a steering stabilizer to correct the same problem as raised in this thread, but my new Allegro apparently needs nothing. After putting a few hundred miles on it so far I have felt not a bit of need for such. I find it interesting how two supposedly identical coaches would differ so greatly in the steering issue.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #25

With two supposedly identical coaches behaving so differently, it leads me personally to first consider tire pressures and alignment. Then proper distribution of weight when loading the coach. Following that I would start with beefing up the rear trac bar before heading to the front end.
We replaced the shocks on our Class C and replaced the rear bar with a heavier duty one with 1700 miles on our coach. Difference was night and day.
I believe the shocks on the Allegros are already sufficient.
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #26
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2013 Open Road 34 foot and have installed a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer on it. Reason, it was a white knuckled terror to drive. I read all the posts about shocks, tire pressure, weight distribution, etc all with merit but with a new motor home, new shocks, common sense and a good tire gauge, it made no difference. As a friend said, its like driving a bill board down the road. As I have said, we installed the Safe T Plus and now its enjoyable, and comfortable to drive. No plug for any manufacturer, it just works.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #27

When we take delivery on our Allegro Open Road 36LA in a few more weeks, we will definitely be watching closely for 'behavioral issues' going down the road. Won't take us long to take action if it isn't up to our driving expectations.
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #28
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
There is one recommendation posted time and again here that has merit too..I have force learned, myself to limited my driving distance and time on each leg of our journey, a few hours driving to our next site. Thanks to the many who have suggested this!